• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
SpeakOut Books -Pearson
« on: October 19, 2019, 04:49:14 am »
@oglop

I had a look at your recommendations and found Speakout https://www.pearson.com/english/sample/speakout-2e.html quite interesting, how would you advise me to teach these books? Step-by-step explanation if you could be so kind? Would you opt for these books over National Geographic's  Life? I can only faintly remember teaching New Interchange at MBC hakwon which does not leave me with much to go on...

My concerns are that these kids study so well that the books need to be as close to 'perfect' as can be, meaning as little of redundant, useless parts as possible for their Visual Dreaming learning style. (=preferring to analyse and predict outcomes before doing and wanting to know its usefulness ). Even if I would tell them to skip parts these students (especially the girls) are so perfectionistic that they would secretly try to finish the grammar parts anyway which would be bad for them.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:14:14 am by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: SpeakOut Books -Pearson
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 09:56:52 am »
honestly, it depends what i'm teaching

i think speakout are good for teaching grammar. they have good context and use real listenings/interesting reading to introduce grammar points. the teacher book has really good activities too

i usually just teach hour-long classes, so i also like the functional language parts (x.3 in the book) as going through it takes about an hour, and the students find it interesting

it also has good video lessons (x.4 in the book).. usually just for having a conversation lesson

actually, if your students are really good, try the Advanced levels. i just discovered these myself. a lot less grammar, a lot more "natural utterances/phrases" and useful idioms. i thought the topics/themes discussed were more unique too

i dunno. i've only ever fully used books like these when i taught in australia - and i taught the same class for 5 hours a day, so we'd just go through the whole book (of course using other materials to make it more interesting, but still doing a unit a week). but if i had to pick one book out of all the ESL textbooks about, i'd say this series is the best all-rounder

p.s. they have a second edition out now. use that one

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 10:02:11 am »
you could look into books such as Taboos and Issues and Instant Discussions (if you can't find them online, i'll upload them) if you want more speaking-focused or stand-alone classes.

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 02:15:21 am »
Cheers, I'll ask Pearson for a sample set. I liked the BBC videos and the speaking parts, still finding Life an interesting option as well as it has connections to other school subjects as well incorporated (History+Geography) in its lessons.

Do you actively participate in the speaking assignments (Guided) or do you let them work together on it in teams of two?
How would you organise a debate with 20-odd students?

---
I had found the TabooDiscussions and InstantDisc. on Scribd before when you mentioned them in the other thread? but my students need a lot of visuals and as little text/grammar as possible. That's why some of these ESL sites like this one: https://halandsteveenglish.com/collections/travel-book-1 are fantastic because they present one discussion topic with just a bit of scaffolding, but sadly those guys have told me they didn't want to publish it as a book so I can't formally use it in the curriculum.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:44:17 am by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 07:41:40 am »
i sometimes take part, but only because the groups are often small. or i'll just play devil's advocate to move the conversation along

yeah i know what you mean. all these books have too much grammar, which is why i usually pick and choose bits from different books to make a decent lesson. guess you can't do that though