Read 371 times

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
Your Opinion on this job...
« on: October 18, 2019, 12:38:33 pm »
...any takers?  I saw it on Facebook and the poster was getting into it with someone.  I thought I'd see if anyone had any thoughts on this....

Our academy in Suwan (Gwangju, Jeollado) is looking for a new teacher to start December 2nd.

We are an English library staffed primarily by foreigners. Students range from Pre-K/K to a handful of high school, though most are elementary.

They come in for 90 minutes and, in that time, read a book and write then have a 15 minute 1:1 with a foreign teacher. There is little prep involved but teachers should be active about helping students and engaging them.

Teachers are also responsible for updating student files and providing feedback for students.
Our normal working hours are 1-9; however, in January and August, we have vacation hours and work 10-7.

Additionally, our Bongseon branch is open on Saturdays 10-5 and Suwan teachers may be asked to work if Bongseon needs help. However, the Bongseon academy is accessible by bus and Saturdays are paid extra.

Vacation time includes the Korean national holidays as well as 10 total vacation days (5 total for each winter and summer vacation [2.5 each] and 5 personal days). An apartment may be provided or a teacher may choose a housing allowance.

Salary is negotiable and benefits (health, pension, and apartment) are provided. Native speakers only (must be from the USA, Canada, the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa).

Resumes/CVs or questions may be sent to....
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:41:04 pm by NorthStar »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: Your Opinion on this job...
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 01:12:13 pm »
I like that they offer housing allowance. Otherwise seems like a pretty standard hagwon job (ie sucky).
Pretty hard to tell how good the offer is when they don't give any information about salary. Anything over 2.5 would seem reasonable, I guess.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 01:17:48 pm »
I like that they offer housing allowance. Otherwise seems like a pretty standard hagwon job (ie sucky).
Pretty hard to tell how good the offer is when they don't give any information about salary. Anything over 2.5 would seem reasonable, I guess.

Well...the vacation days suck...2.5 for both summer and winter?  Though, it says 5 personal days but i doubt they are paid and can be used alongside the days that matter.  Thus, one cannot go home or travel anywhere.  In addition, it seems that there is forced overtime on a Saturday....

Looks like shit.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 01:31:59 pm »
Well...the vacation days suck...2.5 for both summer and winter?  Though, it says 5 personal days but i doubt they are paid and can be used alongside the days that matter.  Thus, one cannot go home or travel anywhere.  In addition, it seems that there is forced overtime on a Saturday....

Looks like shit.

They wrote that you get 10 paid working days (ie non red-day) vacation, so I'm reading it as that you get 2.5 in the summer, and 2.5 in the winter, and then get an additional 5 floating days that you can use whenever.

It looks like a pretty standard hagwon contract, and standard hagwon contracts are kinda bad, yeah.

Not too many hagwons give you enough time to go home, unfortunately. I worked in hagwons for a few years, all at the same franchise. I would just finish my contract and, since the franchise had like 300 schools, arrange with the head-hunting dept. that they would then rehire me in a month or two when an opening showed up in any of their branch schools.

It was a pretty sweet deal! I wish that sort of stuff was still possible.  :sad:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 01:33:37 pm by kyndo »

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 01:35:52 pm »

Looks like shit.

They wrote that you get 10 paid working days (ie non red-day) vacation, so I'm reading it as that you get 2.5 in the summer, and 2.5 in the winter, and then get an additional 5 floating days that you can use whenever.

It looks like a pretty standard hagwon contract, and standard hagwon contracts are kinda bad, yeah.

Not too many hagwons give you enough time to go home, unfortunately. I worked in hagwons for a few years, all at the same franchise. I would just finish my contract and, since the franchise had like 300 schools, arrange with the head-hunting dept. that they would then rehire me in a month or two when an opening showed up in any of their branch schools.

It was a pretty sweet deal! I wish that sort of stuff was still possible.  :sad:

I don't know...I've seen a poster claim that that the 10 working days is common in hagwons.  I thought it was, back in the early days.  But...it just seems worse and worse.  Granted, if you are working minimal hours....lets say, 25 total working hours a week (like with my last job), OK...I can see that type of short vacation schedule.  But....if you are in the trenches, working 40-50 hours with 35+  classes a week....it is just a joke. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 01:41:48 pm »
I don't disagree.
It's not a great contract, but it seems pretty par for the course.
I sincerely hope that  I'll never have to settle for those kind of jobs again (public school has ruined me...)

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 02:04:41 pm »
Dumpster fire. 10 days off is not acceptable for a 40 hour week.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 06:50:42 pm »
Dumpster fire. 10 days off is not acceptable for a 40 hour week.

It is more than a 40 hour week....