Read 695 times

• vern
  • Explorer

• October 08, 2019, 11:32:21 pm
Bongo truck moving fees?
« on: October 15, 2019, 04:07:09 pm »
I've moved before but I don't recall bongo moving fees to be as expensive as I was just quoted (220,000 and 400,000). I was expecting something in the 40,000-60,000 range. I don't have a ton of stuff (bed+disassembled bed frame, desk, office chair, 2nd chair, and 2 piece of luggage) and I just need the driver to help me move the stuff. Plus my new place is just a 5-min drive!
Someone mentioned about a 용달 service which is supposed to be cheaper but I don't know what it is exactly. If I need to, I only really need help moving my desk and mattress. Everything else I can move myself by taxi.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 08:28:30 am by vern »

• fka
  • Veteran

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Bongo truck moving fees?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 10:51:55 am »
Out of curiosity, are you in an upper-floor apartment in a building without an elevator? The movers tack on a massive premium if they have to walk up a flight of stairs. I thought I was getting ripped off when my moving company doubled the price for my move after I disclosed that my building doesn't have an elevator, but multiple Korean friends confirmed that this is normal. Getting a few more quotes further supported this.

This company has always done a good job for me, and you can organize everything in English:

http://moveinkorea.com/

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 12:52:37 pm »
I paid 100,000 to move about 8 km. My stuff was one full bongo truck. I boxed all the non-large items, excluding things like an office chair, mattress, cabinet, etc. prior to moving. I had an elevator down in the old place and one flight up stairs to the new place. This was hard work and perhaps other people have got better deals, but the price I paid seemed quite reasonable.

I tipped 20,000 and beer as I did not have any issues or damage.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 01:17:59 pm »
I paid about 120,000원 when moving cities 2 years ago but I didn't have much stuff, just a few boxes (no furniture). The guy also didn't lift a finger, I did all the carrying.
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 01:23:12 pm »
I paid 100,000 to move about 8 km. My stuff was one full bongo truck. I boxed all the non-large items, excluding things like an office chair, mattress, cabinet, etc. prior to moving. I had an elevator down in the old place and one flight up stairs to the new place. This was hard work and perhaps other people have got better deals, but the price I paid seemed quite reasonable.

This sounds about right.  I moved years back like this, with just enough stuff to fill the back of a bongo, and the school paid about 100 000 won.  Moving only 4 or 5 kilometres in the same city.  The janitor guy at my school also helped, but he refused any payment at all. 

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 01:47:28 pm »

Tipping in a society that doesn't tip. How the mighty have fallen.

Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 11:01:19 am »
I paid about 120,000원 when moving cities 2 years ago but I didn't have much stuff, just a few boxes (no furniture). The guy also didn't lift a finger, I did all the carrying.

::confused:: So, what did the 120,000 cover if the guy didn't do anything? The vehicle?

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2019, 11:09:35 am »
::confused:: So, what did the 120,000 cover if the guy didn't do anything? The vehicle?

Yeah, I guess so. It was about an hour away so fuel costs + truck rental? I didn't mind as like I said I didn't (and still don't ㅠㅠ) have much stuff, thought it was a reasonable quote for the distance.
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 11:13:40 am »
At the start of last year I moved about 3km. I boxed up and moved everything downstairs including a sofa and some other small furniture.  Two guys rocked up, we loaded the truck together, I rode along with them to my new place, we unloaded the truck to the street outside my new building and they were on their way.

It cost 30K

Excluding them getting to and from me it probably took 20 minutes and less than a liter of fuel.

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 02:09:13 pm »
I've had to pay a lot more than most people here, but I also have a lot of stuff.