• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
WHY are you HERE?
« on: October 12, 2019, 12:06:36 am »
1. Why ain't you in your home country?

2. Why South Korea? Why not Taiwan? Japan? Saudi Arabia? Some other country?

3. Why Seoul? Why Busan? Why Gwangju? Why Jeju? Why some other place in the country?

4. Why are you STILL here? (Especially if it isn't your first year)

These are all different questions.

After a dozen poster replies, I'll give my four answers.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Re: WHY are you HERE?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 11:21:01 am »

It is just too dang cold and I hate cold weather. I live in the tropics, I see palm trees swaying in the breeze every morning when I wake up. I live in shorts and sandals. I haven't had socks on my feet in years not counting the 2 or 3 wedding s I was obliged to attend. Gotta wear long pants to work but sandals are totally acceptable, everyone wears them. I love to golf and it's a golf day here every day. And it's cheap: 18 holes + cart + caddy = $50, beer is extra

When I decided to split from Canada I applied through Dave's ESL to several jobs in a handful of countries. A school in Korea replied first, on the same day, with a contract and a job offer. There was no interview. Sign this and send it back immediately, your plane ticket will be in the mail. I accepted and turned down all the other job offers which followed later that same day and the next day or two.

3. Why Seoul? Why Busan? Why Gwangju? Why Jeju? Why some other place in the country?

I went where the job was. I didn't care about anything other than getting out of Canada. I did like the fact the job was in a small countryside town. I'm not a big city kinda guy.

Did my time, paid off all my debt, saved a bunch and moved to a tropical country, met a lovely lady and got married,  built a house and filled it with furniture a Canadian could never afford unless they were very wealthy , bought a car and a motorbike got a job I love and live a debt free lifestyle very few do back in the Great White North. I thank Korea and the experience there for giving me the life I've always wanted.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 07:56:08 am »

The jobs I was getting there sucked and paid terrible.  It got so bad I was getting burger flipping jobs.  Don't get me wrong, burger flipping jobs do put food in your belly but not much else.  They don't pay the rent, car insurance, bills, etc.  I always wonder how those single moms with 3 kids living in motels do it.  Oh yeah they have to work at 3 fast food jobs just to pay the weekly fee to live at the Super 8 and they bring home discounted junk food for the kids.  That's how that works.  I was lucky not to be in such a situation and I was able to live at home with my parents.  But being as I still hated working such deadend jobs, South Korea seemed like a fun ticket to jump on since life in America was seeming like a rat race. 

Free airfare.  Enough said.  Japan doesn't offer that, Taiwan....meh.  Saudi Arabia, other than staying on a compound that would get boring after a while.  No thank you.  I have Muslim girlfriends who complain how sick and tired they are because they have to stay in the car with their kids while their husband gets to get off and explores because there are no women areas for her to go to.  Really.  And this is in 2019.  Yeah getting paid 5,000 or 6,000 USD a month is not worth the headache of feeling like cattle. 

3. Why Seoul? Why Busan? Why Gwangju? Why Jeju? Why some other place in the country?  Seoul is where the party is at.  Busan is nice for a day but after that you're going to be wanting to coming to Seoul.  Even though I'm technically not in Seoul myself, I always make sure I'm on the Seoul Metro lines so that I can subway or bus it easy to the central areas. 

I've made a lot of great friends here and also I've grown to love my kids that I teach at my main school.  I knew them since they were in the 1st grade.  They are now 5th graders.  I want to see them off their 6th grade year and then I want to bid farewell to South Korea.  I'm truly going to miss this place and how advanced it's gotten year after year.  I just wish America and the rest of the world would get on 5G and have high speed internet.  I also wish America would have great public transportation like Korea does.  But no it's CAR OR DIE!  LITERALLY!  CAR OR DIE!   I also wish you didn't have to be aware of the local exits when watching a movie or wonder if a club is going to be shot up.  I think after my year is done I'm going to bounce from America after a few months back.  After seeing 14 different countries, I can defiantly say, America is not the greatest country in the world. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 08:41:00 am »

I met my (Korean) wife in my home country, where we worked together. Eventually we agreed to come to Korea for a while. We got married here and had a kid. Ended up staying longer than I intended. I envisioned 5 years max.

Before Korea I taught in Japan, Italy, Albania and Thailand. After finishing in Japan, I had decided that I was done with living and working overseas. But then life happened and I'm here now.

I was offered a position in Jeolla that has excellent benefits and extras. I would rather be in Seoul. But living down here has enabled us to save a lot. If I'm honest though, the city I live in is boring, kind of grimy, and exactly the same as 10-20 other similar sized cities throughout Korea.

As of today, I have exactly 101 days until I board a plane back home. I will have been 7 years when I leave. Which is more than enough. This semester, teaching wise, has been one of the worst for me. I am just completely and utterly over, teaching. Burnt out. I had some really fun times here. And I feel gratitude to the higher power for allowing me all the experiences over the last 6-7 years. But I'm ready to go.

Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 09:26:43 am »
As of today, I have exactly 101 days until I board a plane back home. I will have been 7 years when I leave. Which is more than enough. This semester, teaching wise, has been one of the worst for me. I am just completely and utterly over, teaching. Burnt out. I had some really fun times here. And I feel gratitude to the higher power for allowing me all the experiences over the last 6-7 years. But I'm ready to go.

Yeah zola, I'm feeling you on that.  I'm debating wither to make this year my last year or next.  I feel better making next my last.  I want to rack in that extra year of severance pay plus close off my time here with wish my kids good bye.  I'd really hate to hand off the kids that I spent 5 years molding into to "my kids" off to another teacher who doesn't know them from a hole in the wall.  We spent so much time together, from them to learn another teacher this late in the game seems strange to me.  It would have been better for them if I was a one year teacher and then they wouldn't care.  Next year will be the year I will have students who will know no other teacher but me.  My current 6th graders, knew the former teacher and thankfully haven't spoken about her since the year I took over.  That's just how I feel.  But honestly I can't retire here.  And I've seen how 50+ year old female teachers are treated here and let's just say it isn't the best. 

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 09:47:42 am »
1. Why ain't you in your home country?  Too many ugly obese women who think they deserve a 8+ looking guy who makes 6 figures..

2. Why South Korea? Why not Taiwan? Japan? Saudi Arabia? Some other country?  Korea seemed the easiest to live and get paid a decent amount of money.  Korean women are thin, pretty, fashionable, and open to foreign sex partners.

3. Why Seoul? Why Busan? Why Gwangju? Why Jeju? Why some other place in the country? Seoul has everything a single man could ask for.  The pollution is my only gripe but whatever I smoke anyways.

4. Why are you STILL here? (Especially if it isn't your first year)  I just can't get enough of the ladies and lifestyle.  When I'm no longer attractive to hook up with women 10+ years younger than me,  I guess I'll marry the wealthiest old divorcee  I can find.  Shallow but honest.  Charge it to the game playas.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 10:35:21 am »
1. Why ain't you in your home country?  Too many ugly obese women who think they deserve a 8+ looking guy who makes 6 figures..

2. Why South Korea? Why not Taiwan? Japan? Saudi Arabia? Some other country?  Korea seemed the easiest to live and get paid a decent amount of money.  Korean women are thin, pretty, fashionable, and open to foreign sex partners.

3. Why Seoul? Why Busan? Why Gwangju? Why Jeju? Why some other place in the country? Seoul has everything a single man could ask for.  The pollution is my only gripe but whatever I smoke anyways.

4. Why are you STILL here? (Especially if it isn't your first year)  I just can't get enough of the ladies and lifestyle.  When I'm no longer attractive to hook up with women 10+ years younger than me,  I guess I'll marry the wealthiest old divorcee  I can find.  Shallow but honest.  Charge it to the game playas.

LOL I love this answer.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 11:27:29 am »

Sounds like you are what people call a "p***y hound" here.  I guess so.  Just wrap it up and get check yourself every 6 months.  I hear in Japan they already have a super form of gonorrhea that is hard to treat with regular antibiotics.   And being as SOME Korean men don't believe they can get stds and hiv because that's a dirty foreigner disease, sleeping with a local woman here sans condom can really get you burned up.  Surprised you manage to snag you some here with that garbage attitude.  I guess every women has to have at least one "what was I thinking sleeping with that dude" guy in their history.  \_(ツ)_/ 

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 11:37:12 am »

Sounds like you are what people call a "p***y hound" here.  I guess so.  Just wrap it up and get check yourself every 6 months.  I hear in Japan they already have a super form of gonorrhea that is hard to treat with regular antibiotics.   And being as SOME Korean men don't believe they can get stds and hiv because that's a dirty foreigner disease, sleeping with a local woman here sans condom can really get you burned up.  Surprised you manage to snag you some here with that garbage attitude.  I guess every women has to have at least one "what was I thinking sleeping with that dude" guy in their history.  \_(ツ)_/ 

And what's wrong with being a p-hound? You sound bitter. Not sure what the dashes and lines mean. I like dude's attitude and honesty. The world needs more of that and less PC crud.

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 11:50:59 am »

Two separate reasons, but both of which came up at around the same time and reinforced each other. I was getting burned out by my previous job and was seriously considering a career change. That would have meant going back to school, though, and I didn't want to just jump into something else that I'd eventually end up hating, too. So I thought I needed a break in general, to think things through and to consider my options. While I was mulling this over, some shit got kicked up in South Korea. Family stuff. I needed to come here to take care of it, and since I'd be here doing that for at least a few months, I thought, why not teach for a year?

See answer to 1. Although there are now plans for me to leave in the near future.

I picked a location that has a lot of options for traveling to other cities. I specifically avoided requesting any large cities because I am not a big city girl.

I have family here, and I got comfortable. That's the short of it. I do plan to leave in the next couple of years, though, but not because I'm tired of teaching. Turns out I really enjoy it. But I need to leave. I'll always be grateful for my time in Korea, but I feel like I'm always in fight mode here, and I'm tired.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 11:57:39 am »

And what's wrong with being a p-hound? You sound bitter. Not sure what the dashes and lines mean. I like dude's attitude and honesty. The world needs more of that and less PC crud.

Nope, just thankful I'm not like those girls in those unfortunate youtube/p--nhub videos that get are casted unsuspectingly by guys that go to Asian countries in hopes of mass conquest. 

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 12:09:15 pm »

Wanted a break from my country as was starting to dislike it, plan was to come for a year for some teaching xp, see if I liked it, then go back to train as a technology teacher.

Great program for new teachers to move with lots of security and a guaranteed years salary. Had been here before and enjoyed it. Very much against middle eastern/Chinese culture of censorship/human rights violations and oppression so they were not an option. This program was easier than JET.

I don't live in Seoul. I hate the capital city of my country with a passion and they feel quite similar to me. I live in a smaller city with train links should I need them.

Met the woman I want to (going to) marry. Money is great for the work I do. Save 1000 USD a month without trying. Beginning to get burn out through lack of vacation so planning a move next summer if contract can't be negotiated. VISA process for my country is a pain in the ass so easier to stay here right now.

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 12:13:12 pm »

LOL fair play, enjoy! The single cat ladies are going to rip on you for it though.

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 12:19:07 pm »
I feel like I'm always in fight mode here, and I'm tired.
This. Taught four classes in a row this morning (middle school), and it's a constant fight to keep things civil/semi-productive. I get to class this morning, third graders come in making a raucous (nothing unusal thus far). Then the class clown walks in (not me, the other one) and... I shit you not... LEAPS onto his table (I have these big 5 seater tables in my classroom), saunters across, and hops down on the other end before taking his seat. That pretty much set the tone for the entire morning.

I advise anyone reading this to avoid middle school, if you can. I taught both elementary and high previously (both challenging in their own way), but nothing has tested my sanity like the last year and a half.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 12:22:49 pm »
Near the end of my time in Korea, there was a big industry shift, in the areas of what I was studying, that made it practically impossible to get a job in that area (need 10+ years experience to get an entry level position now - because there are so few positions in that area now, you need around that much experience to compete with the veterans). After that shift, I started learning Japanese a bit as a hobby, and started tutoring some of the foreign students for fun on the side. They all thoroughly enjoyed learning from me, and suggested I become a teacher. I also wanted to live abroad.

Originally, I was looking for work in Japan. A recruiting company for Korea, put their ad on a Japanese job market website I use. I applied for it, and it was the best offer I had received. I realized, I didn't really know anything about Korea, so I decided to come here, to learn about Korea; while also gaining teaching experience, and getting more financially stable. I plan to head to Japan after Korea. I'm planning to renew once more, and then I'll probably leave halfway through that contract to go to Japan. (halfway through is when my favourite class will graduate and move on to high school, so I feel that is the time for me to leave then).

I wanted a medium sized city. I got that wish in my first year but, then due to some changes, I changed locations. I was supposed to be in a medium sized city again, but a couple who applied through the same place as me, ended up in different areas, and they were fairly far from each other, so they asked, through the recruiter, if I'd mind changing with one of them. I got placed into my tiny countryside area. While it's really boring here, it's really peaceful, and has probably helped me save more money than I would have otherwise.

I just want to get a little more financially stable before I move on, and I want to see my favourite class graduate!

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2019, 08:03:18 am »

Nope, just thankful I'm not like those girls in those unfortunate youtube/p--nhub videos that get are casted unsuspectingly by guys that go to Asian countries in hopes of mass conquest. 

wut?  What does that even mean? Makes zero sense and I read it three times.  Do you think the vast majority of guys here are casting asian women for porn?  Jesus.  You've lost the plot.  Let me guess you have cellulite on your ankles.  The bitterness can be tasted through my computer screen.  Just let people live their lives without your judgement.  Go write a buzzfeed article or something to vent your frustrations.  Women, too, like sex with good looking men and many have no shame about it.  This country oozes sex because the nightlife facilitates it.  If you are decent looking, have game, and speak korean...  it's literally the easiest place to get laid.  Don't blame me for working the system.  The old adage.. haters gonna hate applies to you.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2019, 08:17:44 am »
You can speak Korean? Most Westerners can't. Most as in virtually all. It's an extremely difficult language to get good at.

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2019, 08:22:36 am »
You can speak Korean well? Most Westerners can't. Most as in virtually all. It's an extremely difficult language to get good at.

I speak it well enough..  I would say I'm a third grader but that is more than enough.  I wouldn't stay in a long term relationship with a Korean that knew zero English because the conversational topics would run dry pretty quick.  Like you said since most Anglo foreigners don't speak Korean,  you put yourself at huge advantage.  Plus it helps in many other aspects living here as well.  I only put in about 1-2 hours of study a day in for 2 years.  Well worth the investment. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2019, 09:03:10 am »
You can speak Korean well? Most Westerners can't. Most as in virtually all. It's an extremely difficult language to get good at.

I speak it well enough..  I would say I'm a third grader but that is more than enough.  I wouldn't stay in a long term relationship with a Korean that knew zero English because the conversational topics would run dry pretty quick.  Like you said since most Anglo foreigners don't speak Korean,  you put yourself at huge advantage.  Plus it helps in many other aspects living here as well.  I only put in about 1-2 hours of study a day in for 2 years.  Well worth the investment. 
1-2 hours a day for 2 years is actually a pretty serious investment. Grats on putting in the effort!

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2019, 09:35:29 am »

wut?  What does that even mean? Makes zero sense and I read it three times.  Do you think the vast majority of guys here are casting asian women for porn?  Jesus.  You've lost the plot.  Let me guess you have cellulite on your ankles.  The bitterness can be tasted through my computer screen.  Just let people live their lives without your judgement.  Go write a buzzfeed article or something to vent your frustrations.  Women, too, like sex with good looking men and many have no shame about it.  This country oozes sex because the nightlife facilitates it.  If you are decent looking, have game, and speak korean...  it's literally the easiest place to get laid.  Don't blame me for working the system.  The old adage.. haters gonna hate applies to you.

Well said and quite funny, especially that cellulite comment. It's been my experience throughout these past few decades that the most vocal anti-sexuality proponents tend to not be the most comely lasses around. I don't think a Western woman can really grasp the all-enticing allure of Asian women. They are, generally speaking, extremely attractive and beautiful inside and out and every guy I know is very happily married to one. My 12th anniversary will soon be upon me and it has flown by is blissful contentment. My wife is in her early 40's and has a body that would make most Canadian teenager girls weep. And yes, that is important to me so say what thou wilt.