Read 293 times

• Jayson1979
  • Explorer

• October 20, 2014, 09:20:13 am
    • Yangyang, South Korea
Korean Police - Criminal Records Check. Help!
« on: October 11, 2019, 12:26:12 pm »
I am hoping that someone has had a similar situation and can guide me on what to do next.

Background:

I am currently in the process for applying for the Hong Kong NET scheme (similar in some ways to EPIK).  Along with other required documents, I need a criminal records check for every country I have lived in.  Luckily, I have a copy of my FBI CRC, but also need to obtain one from Korea. I have been here for five years, a substantial chunk of time. 

Problem:

Before traipsing off to the Police station without any clue of what to do or bring for the process, I asked my co-teacher to call ahead and verify the information.  Well… what they told me next really upset me.  According to the Busan Metropolitan Police Department, they no longer allow foreigners to obtain a copy of their CRC, unless it is for a visa application or a specific company contacts them to request the information.  As I have yet to even apply for the position, it is not feasible for the NET scheme to contact the Korean police on my behalf to request the information.  My school even offered to request the CRC on my behalf (a loophole maybe?), but the police refuse to release the information to me school too.  I am a bit out of options.

Questions:

Has anyone recently obtained their CRC from a Korean police station?  If so, was it for a visa application or was it requested by a specific organization directly from the Korean police?  If neither of the two, what did you do?  I could really use some help on this.  I can’t imagine that it’s going to be very easy getting a job working with students with a 5-year criminal records gap.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 12:37:56 pm by Jayson1979 »

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Re: Korean Police - Criminal Records Check. Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 01:09:37 pm »
Can you print out a visa application and fill it in and bring it with you to show as proof?

Seems ridiculous, so it makes sense here.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 02:15:15 pm »
I got one (or actually 2) in Feb before leaving.  I took along my ARC, passport (they didn't need it) and passport size photographs. 

The reason I got 2 was I was unsure where I was going, and they do print the country on the check.  They had no problem issuing it as it was for visa, I've heard from others they don't issue it for university or pgce applications.

Depending on your location, you could always try various stations if you get a 'no' from the first.  The rules with everything here seem to change on who you ask.  Also I would suggest going to the biggest / main police station

• Jayson1979
  • Explorer

• October 20, 2014, 09:20:13 am
    • Yangyang, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 02:21:21 pm »
I got one (or actually 2) in Feb before leaving.  I took along my ARC, passport (they didn't need it) and passport size photographs. 

The reason I got 2 was I was unsure where I was going, and they do print the country on the check.  They had no problem issuing it as it was for visa, I've heard from others they don't issue it for university or pgce applications.

Depending on your location, you could always try various stations if you get a 'no' from the first.  The rules with everything here seem to change on who you ask.  Also I would suggest going to the biggest / main police station

I totally agree with rules "changing" depending on who you ask.  After 5 years, none of this should surprise me... but it does.  My co-teacher actually did contact the (big) main police station, and the largest one in our neighborhood.  Both said the same thing.  I don't know.  Maybe this is a regional thing too?  But I'm gonna try it this evening by walking in with my docs, information about the HK visa application requirements (not a long shot, since I'll need it for that too) and see what happens.  Worst case, I'll leave with nothing.