Read 5061 times

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
Re: 11 month firing in a public school?
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2019, 11:28:32 am »
Apart from cheating the naive NET by providing substandard housing (while pocketing the rest of the housing allowance)...I donít think Iíve ever heard of a public school actively trying to dupe their NET into an 11th month resignation/firing.

As someone said, that is 6-8 million won in funds that NET is being cheated out of.

Does not mean it doesn't happen.  Different sorts of phuck-phuck games go down.  Fro example, public schools hiring a teacher already in Korea, clearly stating that the airfare would be reimbursed (airfare to korea that the NET paid) upon visa issuance...clearly stated.  But, as soon as the visa was issued...that brevity turned into a "misunderstanding".  The list goes on.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2019, 11:31:56 am »
Be that as it all is, or may....I do wonder if the dirt bag principle of the school in which is the subject of this post, was "inspired" by someone to try and pull this nonsense.  Perhaps he spoke with another principle, whom of which, was able to get a way with doing the same thing.  After all, despite information regarding the law being made to be more easily available, there are still folks that come here...having never head of Dave's ESL Cafe, Waygook.og, the Labor Standards Acts....and submit out of fear and/or ignorance of the law. 

I'm glad the OP did not acquiesce to that guy....

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2019, 11:50:04 am »
Apart from cheating the naive NET by providing substandard housing (while pocketing the rest of the housing allowance)...I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a public school actively trying to dupe their NET into an 11th month resignation/firing.

As someone said, that is 6-8 million won in funds that NET is being cheated out of.

Does not mean it doesn't happen.  Different sorts of phuck-phuck games go down.  Fro example, public schools hiring a teacher already in Korea, clearly stating that the airfare would be reimbursed (airfare to korea that the NET paid) upon visa issuance...clearly stated.  But, as soon as the visa was issued...that brevity turned into a "misunderstanding".  The list goes on.

Which public schools contracts "clearly state" airfare will be reimbursed to the NET if they are already in the country?  Not saying, you're wrong, but I've been with GEPIK and three different city halls in Gyeonggi and it has always been clear that airfare is not paid to someone hired in-country. 

I have also never heard of a principal trying to pull a fast one like this dirt bag clearly tried to do.  He must be steaming that he didn't get a pay day and his antics may have put him under someone's microscope, or at least on the radar.  Of course, there is creative accounting and gifts for allowing afterschool programs on occasion, but this blatant an attempt to steal and defraud I have never heard of. 

• minmei
  • Waygookin

• January 10, 2019, 01:09:29 am
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2019, 01:45:51 pm »
Be that as it all is, or may....I do wonder if the dirt bag principle of the school in which is the subject of this post, was "inspired" by someone to try and pull this nonsense.  Perhaps he spoke with another principle, whom of which, was able to get a way with doing the same thing.  After all, despite information regarding the law being made to be more easily available, there are still folks that come here...having never head of Dave's ESL Cafe, Waygook.og, the Labor Standards Acts....and submit out of fear and/or ignorance of the law. 

I'm glad the OP did not acquiesce to that guy....

That is really funny that you said this! This incident happened not too long after a new VP was hired

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2019, 06:09:02 pm »
Basically, he was one of those disgusting people that most of us have encountered here in Korea at one time or another.

Yeah I've met plenty of them, however 'disgusting' is highly subjective and oddly I've never had the urge meddle with someone else's job renewal. But well done for being a good citizen.

You'd really love China's social credit system, have you thought about teaching there? Before you ask, yes they do have rankings for foreign workers. With a bit of effort you might be able to attain a Tier B work permit, which would no doubt make you feel quite satisfied knowing you are an above average foreigner.

https://www.china-briefing.com/news/china-work-permits-are-you-a-b-c-tier-talent/

• minmei
  • Waygookin

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2019, 12:01:55 am »
O.P.,

You have a just a few weeks to go....if the principle wants to play the "face" game and throw his toys in the play pen like a good Korean, to hell with him.  And, if the other Korean teachers cannot think for themselves and follow lock-step into his demands, to hell with them, too. 

Now, it is clear you will not receive any reference from the school.  But, you have the coordinator on your side (hopefully), whom of which, knows first hand what was going on.  So...you can just direct any curious party to him/her, when it comes to employment.  Anyone that can paint by numbers will be should be able to see though this....then again, this is Korea.

At this point...if you wanted to be prepared for any future fall out....it would not hurt to start the paperwork for legal complaints to expose this guy.  If he had just let it all go, no need.  But, he isn't so....perhaps an eye for an eye,in this case. 

However....check with your coordinator and see what he/she has to say.  If you WANT to stay with GEPIK and can slide into another spot somewhere without any hassle, then go for it.

Where can I file the complaint? GEPIK dealt with it but tried to make it out to be a misunderstanding in order to give the principal a chance to save face and neutralize the situation.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2019, 07:21:09 am »
You can file an online e-petition

https://epeople.go.kr/jsp/user/on/eng/HowPetition_USA.jsp

Though....think very hard about this and whether or not you feel it can have an impact on the near future.  Furthermore, do you have any actual proof of this, or, just word of mouth?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:30:27 am by NorthStar »

• minmei
  • Waygookin

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2019, 08:34:35 am »
You can file an online e-petition

https://epeople.go.kr/jsp/user/on/eng/HowPetition_USA.jsp

Though....think very hard about this and whether or not you feel it can have an impact on the near future.  Furthermore, do you have any actual proof of this, or, just word of mouth?

I have the paper he made me sign and the GEPIK office did go to my school even though they painted it as a misunderstanding. I might not even stay in Korea next school year. So, it probably will not affect me much.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2019, 01:14:52 pm »
OK, so while I am on your side....what will your complaint be and what damage will you claim this has caused? 

• minmei
  • Waygookin

« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2019, 04:20:44 pm »
OK, so while I am on your side....what will your complaint be and what damage will you claim this has caused? 

Attempted theft and harassment. Its harmed my reputation

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2019, 12:29:01 pm »
Your salary IS paid for by the office of education. The school receives the money well in advance, and the principal is supposed to sign off on it so that the school's admin can transfer it into your account.

The principal was just being a dishonest asshat and was trying to embezzle the funds. This sort of thing is not as common in public schools as it is in private schools because it's a lot harder to get away with it, but it doesn't stop some idiots from trying.

Do as thunderlips says, request to change schools once the time comes. Submit a formal complaint on your way out, if you can.

Really?  Why is your school in charge of your pay?  I go to three schools this year and they have nothing to do with my pay.  The city education office pays me and the teachers in my city.  If they screw up the pay, I go in and talk to the supervisor and then the financial officer at the office.  School has nothing to do with my pay.  The schools do ask me to transfer money to their account each month if I choose to eat the school lunch.  They do pay me directly if I do some extra classes, usually at the end of the semester. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2019, 12:40:00 pm »
Oh shit Tekashi 69 in this mf!!  What did he do?
Also curious, haha

Basically, he was one of those disgusting people that most of us have encountered here in Korea at one time or another.  One of those that you shake your head and ask 'why do you keep renewing this person?'.  All of my other friends at that time who met him were kind of 'christ, he's disgusting!'  The long and the short of it was that he used to go out with another native teacher to 'booking rooms' in our small city.  On one occasion, he went out with his friend and when it came time to pay the bill, the owner said a price which he thought was 'too expensive', so it all ended up in a brawl where the police were called.  These two teachers spent the night in a cell.  Both of their co-teachers were called at 1am or some time late like that, to inform them they were in the cooler.  But nothing seemed to get done about it, as his principal seemed to have his back.  So basically, I wrote a letter outlining this event as a 'concerned citizen' to the parties involved as well as others.  That was it.  Thing was he was a fokcing cheapskate as in, he'd steal toilet paper and other stuff from school so he didn't have to buy it.  That is why the 'too expensive' night at the booking room is kind of ridiculous as he hated paying for anything.  When he was drinking outside of GS25, if his students came past, he'd give them alcohol.  :huh: There are other things about him that would make you go  :huh:.  All of what I wrote was factual as it was an official police incident, but like most things in Korea these can be swept under the rug by the powers that be.   :undecided:  He didn't get fired, he just wasn't renewed, which is fine by me.

Also on the letter writing thing, years ago at my countryside middle school, cars used to hoon down the road as my students walked down what was basically a non-pavement.  I could foresee a big accident involving my students.  So I wrote a letter to the myeon office, gun office and provincial office about putting in some traffic camera or some way of slowing down the traffic.  I always get the idea if I only send it to one they can just forget about it, but more than one makes things happen.  As there had been a couple of student deaths in my city from traffic driving too fast so I didn't want my students to be a statistic.  I got a letter back a week later saying there was no budget this year for a camera and because it was a main road they couldn't put down speed bumps, but would paint the road red.  At least I tried.   :undecided:  I got my Korean friend to write it for me but I used my own name this time.  Actually, when we had our school graduation a couple of years later, the 'myeong jang' came to give prizes and he actually remember that I'd written this letter.   :undecided:

So...despite none of that being your problem, you decided to be a rat...and pat yourself on the back...pseudo-hero, going on about second/third-hand information.

I get that 'no one likes a rat', but assuming he was middle or high school, giving alcohol to students is really bad.
I'm very rarely a tattle tale but, if I saw another teacher giving alcohol to under aged students, I would contact someone about it too.

Outside of school stuff things, like the booking room thing. Well, that's something for the authorities / their school (if they get involved) to decide what they want to do about it; But, it could make other NETs look bad too, even if they don't do that kinda stuff.

Being a pedo, giving kids alcohol, etc is the kind of thing it is ok to "rat" someone out for.  But other stuff, like another teacher in your town gets to go home early or goes to hookers, none of your damn business.  Let them do their own thing and get caught.  But they should go away on the weekends from your rural town if they do those things so the rest of you don't get a bad reputation.  So, the ratting for something illegal may or may not be appropriate.  I do know an old rural town I was in didn't have many foriegner when I was there.  But after I left, the population of waygooks went up.  There was one or two people who I heard would go to the education office and rat out other teachers if their school let them go home early or anything.  They really should have got the $h!t kicked out of them late at night by the other foreigners.  So, a rat in some ways is being a scumbag.  But, for some things, well, go for it. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2019, 12:54:19 pm »
Really?  Why is your school in charge of your pay?  I go to three schools this year and they have nothing to do with my pay.  The city education office pays me and the teachers in my city.  If they screw up the pay, I go in and talk to the supervisor and then the financial officer at the office.  School has nothing to do with my pay.  The schools do ask me to transfer money to their account each month if I choose to eat the school lunch.  They do pay me directly if I do some extra classes, usually at the end of the semester. 
    In my municipal region, the schools are allocated funds from the POE, and then pay the NETs. I've heard other people say that they're paid directly by the POE.
    It probably varies province to province, city to city.  :undecided:

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2019, 12:55:42 pm »
There was one or two people who I heard would go to the education office and rat out other teachers if their school let them go home early or anything.

How sad must a person's life be to feel the need to do this?

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2019, 01:00:40 pm »
There was one or two people who I heard would go to the education office and rat out other teachers if their school let them go home early or anything.

How sad must a person's life be to feel the need to do this?

You're right about that.  In some rural areas, those people do exist.  If you go home early, don't let people see you or tell other foreigners about it.  Especially in bigger cities or other towns.  You are asking for jealous snitches to pull you down to their level.  A couple of you who trust each other is ok I guess.  In my city we have to stay usually, but others in rural outlying areas do get to leave sometimes, I hear.  But, I live in a city and they live in nothing to do land and without a car can be boring.  So, I guess that's the trade off.  I feel no need to be jealous. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2019, 01:04:51 pm »
    In my municipal region, the schools are allocated funds from the POE, and then pay the NETs. I've heard other people say that they're paid directly by the POE.

I guess every place is different.   I'd rather the local education office handle the pay.  Better for everyone.  Maybe suggest it for your area too.  Keep it more professional.  Maybe I'm just lucky with everything.  This and the being micro managed issue.  (Logging into cool id to track your time and being told to use Korean software for time and holidays.  Nope, not doing that either.) 

« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2019, 02:58:36 am »
  I am still wondering if it's a private school-one that outwardly follows GEPIK's rules, but still private, so the co-teachers and VP might think there are grey areas in the contract, and that rules can be bent, because it's not public-public, and has slightly more autonomy.

By the way, minmei, does the school rotate all its Korean teachers within the province every 3 years? Fully public schools do this. If it's the case, then that'll tell you it's fully public.

However, if there are lots of teachers on permanent contracts, who can stay at that school for years and years, then it's not a standard public school. Similarly, if there's lots and lots of Koreans on 1 year contracts.

« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2019, 07:05:30 am »
Allpointseast, the three-year rule varies from province to province.  Where I am, it's five years.  The teachers can stay longer if they get the acceptance from the principal and the school parents board.  There was a maths teacher who extended twice, so he was at my school for seven years. 

There is a semi-public/private, as they call it, in my city.  I have a Korean friend who went there almost twenty years ago as a student and there are a few teachers who are still there now that were there when he was there.  I suppose it's good in some ways, but not always.  Seems cushty.  I had a Canadian friend who worked there, as well as at a fully public school, and the public/private one was her favourite school by a long shot.  But as it was her second school, she wasn't paid by them. 

• minmei
  • Waygookin

« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2019, 11:15:31 pm »
  I am still wondering if it's a private school-one that outwardly follows GEPIK's rules, but still private, so the co-teachers and VP might think there are grey areas in the contract, and that rules can be bent, because it's not public-public, and has slightly more autonomy.

By the way, minmei, does the school rotate all its Korean teachers within the province every 3 years? Fully public schools do this. If it's the case, then that'll tell you it's fully public.

However, if there are lots of teachers on permanent contracts, who can stay at that school for years and years, then it's not a standard public school. Similarly, if there's lots and lots of Koreans on 1 year contracts.

The teachers here can stay for many years

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2019, 01:49:08 pm »

When I used to work at public schools in a major city, I was paid directly by the schools (and the schools received the funds from the MOE); when I used to work at public schools in a small rural town, I was paid by the local office of education in that region.