Read 1577 times

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
Re: 11 month firing in a public school?
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2019, 11:56:51 am »
I get that 'no one likes a rat', but assuming he was middle or high school, giving alcohol to students is really bad.
I'm very rarely a tattle tale but, if I saw another teacher giving alcohol to under aged students, I would contact someone about it too.

Outside of school stuff things, like the booking room thing. Well, that's something for the authorities / their school (if they get involved) to decide what they want to do about it; But, it could make other NETs look bad too, even if they don't do that kinda stuff.

That is true...if one assumes that is what actually happened. 

I wonder why the OP didn't man-up and go tell the perp, face to face, that it is not a good idea to be doing that....IF that actually happened. 

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2019, 12:00:03 pm »
I get that 'no one likes a rat', but assuming he was middle or high school, giving alcohol to students is really bad.
I'm very rarely a tattle tale but, if I saw another teacher giving alcohol to under aged students, I would contact someone about it too.

Outside of school stuff things, like the booking room thing. Well, that's something for the authorities / their school (if they get involved) to decide what they want to do about it; But, it could make other NETs look bad too, even if they don't do that kinda stuff.

That is true...if one assumes that is what actually happened. 

I wonder why the OP didn't man-up and go tell the perp, face to face, that it is not a good idea to be doing that....IF that actually happened.

Based on the story, it sounds like that teacher wouldn't have cared even if you told him to his face.
It's better to go to the people who can force the change, the education office, and have them look into the matter, and then force a change if needed.

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2019, 12:01:14 pm »
So...despite none of that being your problem, you decided to be a rat...and pat yourself on the back...pseudo-hero, going on about second/third-hand information. 

FYI, it was first-hand information, because the other native teacher's co-teacher who took the call at 1am, one of my very good friends, told me about this.   :undecided:

Work in a small town/city with a handful of native teachers and then you see what some idiots can do to your day to day living.   

As for a 'rat', not being of North American persuasion, that doesn't mean a thing to me. 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2019, 12:02:42 pm »
While I don't have a problem with said teacher going to room salons (consenting adults etc), giving underaged students alcohol is a massive red flag that should be dealt with swiftly and severely. Imagine if that had made the news.

Getting into a street brawl...well, that one is subjective. But based on this case and its merits (refused to pay for a service he willingly and knowingly hired, which resulted in physical altercation), yeah said NET also deserves swift and severe punishment.

I know of NETs and uni professors in different cities/provinces who have similar characteristics. They tend to be the ones that have been around since the golden (and subsequently 2MB boom) years.

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2019, 12:03:08 pm »
Wow! This is, as others have said, probably really rare in public schools. My school is really strict about money as they're always worried they'll be checked up on by SMOE. And, my school has really good admin.  I'm going to assume this principal is now looking over his back wondering if his school will be monitored by the district. It'll do him some good. He is close to retirement? Maybe it's his last year and he thought he'd give it a go......

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2019, 12:32:38 pm »
While I don't have a problem with said teacher going to room salons (consenting adults etc), giving underaged students alcohol is a massive red flag that should be dealt with swiftly and severely. Imagine if that had made the news.

Getting into a street brawl...well, that one is subjective. But based on this case and its merits (refused to pay for a service he willingly and knowingly hired, which resulted in physical altercation), yeah said NET also deserves swift and severe punishment.

Exactly.  Native teachers can go to booking rooms, fine.  No problemo.  Adults n'all.  But in a small city, when you get idiots doing this kind of thing it affects how locals view the other foreigners in the city.  Almost all of us here know that physical altercations with the locals are dealt with way differently to how they're dealt with back home.  Especially, somewhere as seedy as a booking room. 

Wow! This is, as others have said, probably really rare in public schools. My school is really strict about money as they're always worried they'll be checked up on by SMOE. And, my school has really good admin.  I'm going to assume this principal is now looking over his back wondering if his school will be monitored by the district. It'll do him some good. He is close to retirement? Maybe it's his last year and he thought he'd give it a go......

That's the thing, these kinds of things happened quite a bit years ago, when some 'creative accounting' here and there was difficult to prove.  Nowadays, with the Kim Yeong Ran anti-bribery law in 2017, things like this are controlled and scrutinised more and are more difficult to get away with.  I get the feeling he thought he could bully the OP to cover it up.  I mean what would he have gained, 3.5/4 million (bonus+flight ticket) at the most?  I think also he'll be looking around a lot to see who's watching him. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2019, 12:53:15 pm »
So...despite none of that being your problem, you decided to be a rat...and pat yourself on the back...pseudo-hero, going on about second/third-hand information. 

FYI, it was first-hand information, because the other native teacher's co-teacher who took the call at 1am, one of my very good friends, told me about this.   :undecided:

Work in a small town/city with a handful of native teachers and then you see what some idiots can do to your day to day living.   

As for a 'rat', not being of North American persuasion, that doesn't mean a thing to me. 

I'd like to think that it also doesn't mean much to most North Americans.

The whole "Snitches get stitches" attitude is sickening.
       Whether dealing with companies, governments, or individuals, whistle blowers etc do a huge service to society in general. I just don't understand why some people get so upset when somebody points out that somebody else is committing twattery.
       Just plain irrational.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 01:38:21 pm by kyndo »

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2019, 01:13:01 pm »
Last month pay (2.1?) + severance + contract completion + flight = 6.1 to 8 million depending

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2019, 01:55:23 pm »

Whether dealing with companies, governments, or individuals, whistle blowers etc do a huge service to society in general. I just don't understand why some people get so upset when somebody points out that somebody else is committing twattery.
       Just plain irrational.

It is not complex to figure out....you can call it "irrational" and polarize it all you want, but....it takes balls to go up to someone, confront them about the issue and handle it. 

Being puss-in-boots and writing a letter is cowardly. 

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2019, 02:34:20 pm »

Just plain irrational.

It is not complex to figure out....you can call it "irrational" and polarize it all you want, but....it takes balls to go up to someone, confront them about the issue and handle it. 

Being puss-in-boots and writing a letter is cowardly. 

Erm, okay Tony Corleone.  I can see where you get your code of honour from.  I'd love to go up to a 50-something 'teacher' like him the day after he'd spent the night in a cell for starting a fight in a booking room and say things like, 'hey, wadda you do dat for? Come on buddie, get back on the straight and narrow'.   By your logic, the OP should have straight out gone to the prinicipal and pinned him up against the wall and saught answers for his 11th-month firing.  That would have worked well.  You do understand these things are case by case.  I'm all for being direct with people when I have to.  But this native teacher wasn't worth it, in the same way the principal was not worth going to with this.  You want to get something done, you be smart about what will get the best conclusion.   :undecided:

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2019, 03:00:44 pm »
Did your email letter accomplish anything? I'm guessing not, because you had no proof. Just that you heard something.

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2019, 03:37:02 pm »
Did your email letter accomplish anything? I'm guessing not, because you had no proof. Just that you heard something.

A:  It was a letter letter, not an email.  B:  After being renewed for four years, he was not renewed again, two months after this. C:  New teacher comes and asks what happened to the previous teacher, this was one of the reasons they told them.  D:  It was a small city, and in small city schools all teachers rotate often.  E:  As per D, I had a lot of friends who were teachers who also told me about this.  I'm not saying it was the sole reason, but it had something to do with it.  Seriously, unless you actually met him, you'd really question why anyone would let him anywhere near a job teaching kids.  Never before had I met such a person, and never since.  Like I said, if the OP had gone to the principal it would have achieved nothing with his 11th-month firing.  You do what gets the best outcome as showed with the OP getting things fixed.  I never had to see or hear of this twaat again, and the students at that school got a proper teacher.   All of us here have our freaky waygook stories, hence the mirth gleaned from such threads on daves, or was it expatkorea?  I can't remember. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2019, 03:49:08 pm »
How long ago was this? I heard 10+ years ago public school teachers were hired without an interview; they just had to send a copy of their diploma. (Incidentally, sometimes these diplomas were fake. Maybe that was the case.)

• minmei
  • Waygookin

• January 10, 2019, 01:09:29 am
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2019, 03:58:05 pm »

But looking back, this school was really shady from the start. My co teacher would buy me lunch, take me to church, buy me gifts in order to get me to sign the contract. I thought the desperation was simply because my school is pretty rural. When I showed up to the interview to do the demo lesson, they told me I didnt have to do it. They can tell by my appearance I'd be a good teacher and had the contract ready to sign. I never sign any contract without looking at the apartment first. I feel like my home life is important and if I'm not living in a clean, sanitary place I just cant accept it. So, they showed me two crusty apartments. I told them I couldnt sign the contract. They got me a brand new apartment built in 2018. The desperation of the school was kind of fishy to me. Later, after working there a Korean teacher happened to mention that the foreigners tend to stay like 8 or 9 months. I don't know if this school has been doing this for a while now. Perhaps they hired fresh out of college kids that were gullible enough to fall for it? I don't know

Re: 11 month firing in a public school?(Message to Minmei)
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2019, 09:05:25 pm »
Minmei, thanks for your message. I may have dodged a bullet in this case,  :shocked: but I'll explain why later.   
Those of you who are old enough to remember the so-called "good old days" of teaching in Korea will remember a warning from the US Embassy in Seoul. It said that Americans were coming to Korea and being cheated. The warning even applied to public schools and universities, although I assume that in those cases, fewer problems were reported. It advised those planning to teach in South Korea to get testimonials from Americans who had worked at each school.

Now, about the Gapyeong school. I applied for that same job. At the end of January or early February 2018, I applied for a public school job in Gapyeong, Gyeonggi-do. It was through a recruiter-not GEPIK directly. I was slightly surprised that I would have to do an in-person interview and a demo lesson. I'm sure it was the same school you are at. It didn't seem like the other job applications. I had one more month on my hagwon contract, and I would have been allowed to take a day off. But the route across Gyeonggi-do was highly complex. Even so, I was very close to going there.

I could have been in your shoes. The same thing could have happened to me if I had gotten that job. But if you are finishing up at the end of this month, that leaves a gap between the end of February 2018 and late October 2018. Who was doing your job then? Didn't they fire someone? I remember that the job was still being advertised in March 2018.

My own feeling is that it's a private middle school. I know someone who works for one of those. She signed an EPIK contract, but it was a boarding school that took fees from parents. She was being paid by EPIK, but there were a few differences from normal public schools.

So, I think you are working for a private elementary.

• minmei
  • Waygookin

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2019, 09:28:44 pm »
Minmei, thanks for your message. I may have dodged a bullet in this case,  :shocked: but I'll explain why later.   
Those of you who are old enough to remember the so-called "good old days" of teaching in Korea will remember a warning from the US Embassy in Seoul. It said that Americans were coming to Korea and being cheated. The warning even applied to public schools and universities, although I assume that in those cases, fewer problems were reported. It advised those planning to teach in South Korea to get testimonials from Americans who had worked at each school.

Now, about the Gapyeong school. I applied for that same job. At the end of January or early February 2018, I applied for a public school job in Gapyeong, Gyeonggi-do. It was through a recruiter-not GEPIK directly. I was slightly surprised that I would have to do an in-person interview and a demo lesson. I'm sure it was the same school you are at. It didn't seem like the other job applications. I had one more month on my hagwon contract, and I would have been allowed to take a day off. But the route across Gyeonggi-do was highly complex. Even so, I was very close to going there.

I could have been in your shoes. The same thing could have happened to me if I had gotten that job. But if you are finishing up at the end of this month, that leaves a gap between the end of February 2018 and late October 2018. Who was doing your job then? Didn't they fire someone? I remember that the job was still being advertised in March 2018.

My own feeling is that it's a private middle school. I know someone who works for one of those. She signed an EPIK contract, but it was a boarding school that took fees from parents. She was being paid by EPIK, but there were a few differences from normal public schools.

They went through two teachers during that time I believe. The co teacher told me they both resigned on their own due to personal problems but with the drama they put me through I'm sure there was some foul play at hand. Did the co teacher contact you and offer to buy you lunch and hang out beforehand?

• minmei
  • Waygookin

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2019, 09:30:07 pm »

Also, when I went to do the demo lesson, the native teacher wasnt there at that time which now seems super suspicious

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2019, 07:40:24 am »
Looks like Waygook.org has uncovered a public school money laundering scheme.

Now we need to find out where those forfeited funds went/are going.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2019, 10:28:23 am »
Looks like Waygook.org has uncovered a public school money laundering scheme.

Now we need to find out where those forfeited funds went/are going.

I don't think it is unheard of....though, perhaps not exactly the norm (or..perhaps just unknown or unseen by the native English speaker).  I've had friends who had both a fully furnished apartment AND classroom...with all the bells and whistles.  I've also known teachers that were expected to live in a converted tool shed behind the school and nothing in their classroom.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 11:26:05 am by NorthStar »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2019, 10:51:11 am »
Apart from cheating the naive NET by providing substandard housing (while pocketing the rest of the housing allowance)...I donít think Iíve ever heard of a public school actively trying to dupe their NET into an 11th month resignation/firing.

As someone said, that is 6-8 million won in funds that NET is being cheated out of.