Read 1260 times

2.4M ~ 2.7M + All Benefits, Cheonan
« on: October 07, 2019, 02:44:35 pm »
English Instinct is looking for a teacher to work in Daechi, Songpa (Seoul) and Cheonan.

Salary : 2.4 ~ 2.7 M KRW per month (based on qualifications and teaching experience)

Working hours : 2:30 pm ~ 10:20 pm

Teaching hours : Maximum of 30 hours per week (usually betweeen 25~27 hours per week)

Vacation : 10 days + National Holidays

Housing : Single studio or housing allowance

Benefits : 50/50 contribution for the medical insurance & pension contribution

Severance (after completion of 1 year contract)

Airfare (Ouf of country only)

Merit-based yearly raise

Self-development fee of maximum 100,000 KRW per month

If interested, please send your resume with a recent photo to einstinctca@naver.com

Re: 2.4M ~ 2.7M + All Benefits, Cheonan
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 04:22:11 am »
This same job has been advertised many times before over the last year or so.

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 01:21:44 pm »
Try not being so tight with your vacation and someone might take the job.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 01:29:55 pm »
I wonder if the vacation days are actually set up to be 5 working days in both summer and winter (between two weekends) or set in some shitty way which makes traveling home or elsewhere almost impossible..?

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 12:24:30 pm »
I thought 10 days vacation was standard in hakwons.  Why you guys complaining?  Salary going up is a nice offer.  2.1 to 2.3 is ridiculous in 2019.  2.4 to 2.7 is a nice start.  Though I think it will have to go up beyond that soon as costs are soaring and some schools in Gangnam are going 2.6 million to 3 million won a month now.  But, your effort to go up in wages is appreciated. 

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 11:30:23 am »
I thought 10 days vacation was standard in hakwons.

That depends on how you define "10 days".

10 working days?  IF so when?  Are they spread out through the year, or, taken in two separate blocks (summer/winter), sandwiched between the weekends?

OR....are they actually 6 days, with four weekend days counting as the remaining days? 

OR...are national holidays included along with the weekends, to count as 10? 

So..one has to really be specific.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 01:09:13 pm »
I thought 10 days vacation was standard in hakwons.

That depends on how you define "10 days".

10 working days?  IF so when?  Are they spread out through the year, or, taken in two separate blocks (summer/winter), sandwiched between the weekends?

OR....are they actually 6 days, with four weekend days counting as the remaining days? 

OR...are national holidays included along with the weekends, to count as 10? 

So..one has to really be specific.

Ah ok.  Good to know.  I never worked in a hakwon.  I did hear of one hakwon that took a shortened vacation like go to school mon and tues and take the rest of the week off or shut it down.  But they did give the teacher 4 floater days where they could book a Fri off and take a long weekend.  The owner or a Korean teacher had to fill in for them those days.  So, they did get 10 days in the end.  But it was pretty minimal time I guess.  Some others gave them a full week once in summer and once in winter I heard.  Back in the day when 2.1 million was worth a lot more than today most folks just tolerated it and thought of the money they were saving, I guess. 

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Mouseville
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 05:19:13 pm »
I don't mess with the crap bag schools that don't give their staff the proper time off to get some rest, go home or travel elsewhere. 

Once hagwon I worked at,  we had three NETs on staff.  We just let the boss know a couple months ahead of time when and where we wanted to go and that was that.  For the designated week, classes were combined or a Korean teacher just checked up on them, giving them busy work. 

Nobody complained.  Parents did not arrive with torches pitch forks. 

These days...it takes almost a miracle to get a hagwon to just let the staff have 10 working days....and with the pathetic salaries.....just crap. 

Some schools ( speaking from experience) try to have the teacher take those 10 days, 10 days before the end of the contract.  That happened to me once....

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2019, 07:41:44 am »
I thought 10 days vacation was standard in hakwons.  Why you guys complaining?  Salary going up is a nice offer.  2.1 to 2.3 is ridiculous in 2019.  2.4 to 2.7 is a nice start.  Though I think it will have to go up beyond that soon as costs are soaring and some schools in Gangnam are going 2.6 million to 3 million won a month now.  But, your effort to go up in wages is appreciated. 

10 days holiday per year is not satisfactory rest to prepare for the other 50 weeks you are going to be working. Do you think it is acceptable?

So long as people take these jobs, these hagwons will continue to offer the minimum amount possible. It stinks of penny pinching and treating staff like numbers instead of people. Is it so hard to give 15 instead of 10? That extra week will make a big difference over the year.

And like NorthStar said. You will no doubt be given zero choice of when these days are given to you either.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 09:47:26 am »

10 days holiday per year is not satisfactory rest to prepare for the other 50 weeks you are going to be working. Do you think it is acceptable?

So long as people take these jobs, these hagwons will continue to offer the minimum amount possible. It stinks of penny pinching and treating staff like numbers instead of people. Is it so hard to give 15 instead of 10? That extra week will make a big difference over the year.

And like NorthStar said. You will no doubt be given zero choice of when these days are given to you either.

Fair point, though wages should be the best fight.  When you got 10 days and western companies were giving two weeks a year vacation for jobs, it was comparable.  But the pay was good.  2.1 million with round trip flight.  Today, with one way flight, you would need 2.9 million won to have similar purchasing power.   Of course, if the exchange rate is bad (it has fallen a lot for Americans), you would need even more.  Maybe pay 3 million won a month. 

I guess when it was good money folks put up with it and after a couple of years left and went to a Thailand beach or back home to the parents basement for 2 or 3 months.  Then, they applied for another hakwon and came back over.  Rinse and repeat.  Public school jobs, out in the rural areas could have been easily had pre 2009, but most folks turned them down as they wanted to be in Seoul or near Seoul.  Jobs were quite slack but pay was low.  First year was 1.8 in the cities and 1.9 in rural areas.  Was lower than hakwons but had more vacation and lots of official other slackness.  (Unis most slack of course.)

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2019, 10:16:25 am »
Personally, I would take this job under 4 conditions:

1) OT rate of of 35k per hour
2) housing allowance of 600k per month...Daechi ainít cheap
3) permission to get part time employment elsewhere
4) 10 days paid vacation, plus an extra 10 days unpaid (minimum)...full non-national holiday weekdays.