Read 19816 times

Perm in Korea?
« on: May 17, 2011, 02:32:19 pm »
Will a Korean perm ruin my hair?  I was wondering if they are really bad for your hair or not?...Anyone had any experiences they would like to share :)

• jjmacaroni
  • Waygookin

• August 27, 2010, 11:10:55 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
Re: Korean perms
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 02:36:37 pm »
No, but I'm pretty sure it becomes mandatory that you wear a visor and stretchy pants after you get the perm.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 02:40:17 pm »
Haha! Actually if you look around a lottaaaa young Korean women have perms!  When i asked about getting a perm in my own country they laughed at me...but it seriously the fashion here!

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 02:58:09 pm »
It depends on the salon, the formula they use, and the current condition of your hair. If your hair is gummy(stretchy) when wet then it's probably not a good idea. In any case, all perms are damaging on varying degrees.Take a Korean friend with you to the salon. The stylist will be able to advise you on whether it would be a good option or not.

• kfishburn
  • Newgookin

• April 29, 2011, 10:09:23 am
    • Joam, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 03:01:52 pm »
I just got a perm last week and this was my second in Korea.  If you do not have Asian hair you can ask the stylist to use less chemicals and/or reduce the amount of time. I needed about 25 minutes less than the lady who was being done next to me.  I am pleased with the results as the last one lasted nearly a year and I didn't feel my hair was fried at all!

• Starbuk
  • Waygookin

• November 09, 2010, 10:42:50 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:07:24 pm »
I would go with what others have already said... taking a Korean friend to the salon with you is a good idea... I had an interesting experience with highlights (just wads of bleach smacked onto my head) once  :o
"Being in a state of unrest, confusion, tension or discomfort either mentally or physical can often denote the process of change, which is taking place.  Real lasting change is not a passive process."

• Koenji
  • Super Waygook

• December 03, 2010, 02:43:17 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:25:55 pm »
would be amusing to see foreigner women sporting the ajumma hairdos!...the new craze for back home  ;D

• kagayuzen
  • Adventurer

• June 03, 2011, 03:00:20 pm
    • Sihueng, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 02:53:57 pm »
To answer the OP's question:

I currently sport a digital perm. Not those crazy ajumma perms that people think of when they hear "perm". It's sort of softened up into waves now (the way I want it) and it lasted for about 2 months without straightening out. It's a time consuming process at the salon though, so I was there for a good 2 hours lol. But my hair is pretty soft and it's not damaged really. This is the first time I've ever done any kind of chemical treatment on my hair, so the hair stylist suggested to use different chemicals to perserve my hair structure. The only maintenance that I do is putting curling essence in my hair (to keep it curly). I have Asian hair, so it might be different with caucasian hair. Bottom line, ask the stylist, usually she knows what to do.

• mellow-d
  • Adventurer

• September 09, 2010, 02:46:32 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 10:28:40 am »
I don't have Asian hair and my hair is pretty fine. I got a digital perm and it only lasted one week so I was really disappointed. I've had regular perms done at home that looked crazy at first which then relaxed and looked a lot better. The regular perms also lasted a lot longer. Go for it anyway and hopefully it works out better for you!!

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 10:27:18 am »
It depends on shops.
I want to recommend you find a good shop. get some shop information from your korean friends. ^^

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 11:42:07 am »
I got a straight perm about 7 months ago.  My hair doesn't seem damaged at all.  However,  I have very coarse, strong hair.
You can't color or use a flat iron on your hair for some time after your straight perm (sorry I forget the time frame) or else you risk damaging your hair.  I also recommend that you bring someone who speaks both Korean and English.  Not only can they help ensure that you get the perm that you want, but they can make sure you understand what you need to do to take care of your hair after the perm.         

• goodgollymiss
  • Waygookin

• November 29, 2010, 12:31:57 pm
    • Yong-in, Gyeonggi-Do, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 07:28:06 pm »
I actually just got a "magic straight" perm done a few days ago at Hair&Joy in Hongdae. Two healing treatments, the straightening perm and a quick trim for 150,000...a little pricier than some of the other hair shops but at Hair&Joy everyone speaks English. They did a great job; my hair is usually a humidity-induced DISASTER during the summer and now I have no problems at all :)

Keep in mind: the process took about three hours all told. It didn't damage my hair at all, though, and it's dyed hair that I flat iron almost every day. They're really used to working with foreign hair there so I highly recommend it.

Here is their website: http://hairandjoy.com/

• ammago
  • Explorer

• June 06, 2011, 07:32:41 pm
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 07:54:48 pm »
I've been thinking about getting a digital perm (they look so beautiful!), but I've been nervous about how it will turn out with my non-Asian hair.  Thanks for the advice; I think I'll ask a Korean friend to come with me to the salon.  ^^

• naturegirl321
  • Expert Waygook

• June 13, 2011, 01:34:50 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 04:32:22 pm »
HOw much are digital perms?  I'm thinking of getting one for Xmas.
The best TEFL jobs in Korea on TEFL Tips.
Tender Embrace Birthing: childbirth classes, doulas, breastfeeding support, and info about giving birth in Korea

• Randrade
  • Explorer

• June 22, 2011, 12:05:14 pm
    • Pyeongtake
permanently straighten hair
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 05:38:25 pm »
Has anyone permanently straighten their hair?

• nhchi
  • Explorer

• October 19, 2010, 10:09:14 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 10:29:23 pm »
If you are really worried about your hair getting messed up, you could check out the more expensive places in Apgujeong or Cheongnam Dong.  It's like celebrity level hair styling.

• naturegirl321
  • Expert Waygook

• June 13, 2011, 01:34:50 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 10:40:14 pm »
How much are they?
The best TEFL jobs in Korea on TEFL Tips.
Tender Embrace Birthing: childbirth classes, doulas, breastfeeding support, and info about giving birth in Korea

Re: permanently straighten hair
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 11:32:36 pm »
Has anyone permanently straighten their hair?

Got mine done more than a month ago.Wow I just realized now it's been so long. My hair is great, super easy to just wash and let dry naturally in the morning, and the humidity doesn't affect it. I have thin wavy hair, and quite a lot of it, which would get terribly frizzy.
I paid 60 000 at a small non-modern looking salon right next to my apartment. Salons here are so accustomed to this procedure, why pay more for the same thing at a fancy salon?

• sugalumps
  • Explorer

• June 22, 2011, 01:21:12 pm
    • Breast Coast
    more
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 01:19:28 am »
How straight is the straight perm? I just don't want to have pin straight hair like I flattened my hair and didn't finish the ends. I'm kind of looking for wash-n-go. I have relatively thick hair that is coarse in some spots and naturally wavy, I really don't want to be spending a lot on products that don't work so a perm seemed like a good option.

Pretty sure I'm going to go to Hair & Joy because I've heard nothing but good things about it.

• kleigh
  • Adventurer

• March 19, 2011, 05:15:09 pm
    • South korea
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 08:03:41 am »
I'm sooo bummed!  :'( sob sob

read this and know:make sure you know exactly what you want, and definitely have a picture!Also make sure your hairstylist UNDERSTANDS exactly what you want....take a friend,an electronic translator anything lol. otherwise you'll be less than happy when you leave.

i have chest length pretty curls (yes i know why did i succumb to the  magic straight)  and I decided I wanted a bit of a new look.So off i trotted off to my  usually good hairdresser (for a trim and blowwave) with a picture of the look i wanted, the look was:side-swept fringe, kind of straight until just below  the chin,and then maybe left naturally curly/wavy at the bottom. simple,elegaNT,NATURAL LOOKING...

The computer at the salon wudnt open my flash drive,so (in his favour) he couldnt see the picture of what i wanted,and he doesnt speak english. Anyway,after about 30 minutes of cellphone dictionary and gestures,i thought he understood.but," ne parle pas englishi"... I ended up with magic straight until the upper-tip of my EARS instead of my chin- Lol,my hair is  almost straight at the top anyway,so it looks exactly the same. on the other "half of my hair" (more like 3/4 of it he did some hair cleaning or hair clinic that was supposed to leave the natural curls looking shiny and healthy...

Now, I was charged 140 000 won for 1. Ear length (short) magic straight and a hair clinic  (which shud have been around 50 000)as well as slight trim to get rid of damaged ends... which he usually doesnt charge for. Im unhappy,coz I look like i usually do,but since my hair is dead straight on the top its  the same as wearing a cap (straight  and flat) with crazy curls peeking out under it. and having hat hair...

Ugh, because i had hair clinic, i cant get magic straight or a setting perm on the rest  (for a month) because it will damage my hair...Does anyone know what hair "clinic" is,and why my hair will be damaged if I do a setting perm?
Also,shud I ask the guy for a redo ( as in magic exteneded up to my chin rather than ears) or just let it be?
Im travelling to europe soon and wanted to look my best with no hassle...
kind of wash and go but now I'll have to spend time styling it or it will look hat-head strange...

and,does anyone know an english stylist in Cheonan?