Read 680 times

Renewing passport mid-contract...
« on: October 04, 2019, 04:37:25 pm »
I've been teaching in SK since 2016 and plan to leave after my contract is up in February.  My passport expires in April so I need to get in renewed while I'm here (because it needs to be valid at least 6 months after the travel date).  Once I renew it, I will have a different passport number.  I was wondering who I should notify about this change and if it will have any effect on getting my end-of-contract severance and pension and other bonuses? 
  For instance, should I notify immigration about my change in passport number?  EPIK? 

Re: Renewing passport mid-contract...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 05:11:52 pm »
I'm a little confused.  Are you saying that between now and February, you won't be leaving Korea at all?  So when you go in February, you won't be coming back?  Are you going back to your home country after Korea? 

Pretty sure the six-month rule is only entering Korea.  If you are leaving with two months on it, I don't think it matters.  Especially if you're going back home, as you can just renew it then.

Also, if you do renew your passport then you have to register it with immigration within 14 days.  You can use the HiKorea website to do this or go to your local immigration office.   

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 06:35:19 pm »
Yes, I'll be staying in Korea until the end of February and then I'll be flying back home (US) the first week of March.  Passport expires first week of April. 

Yeah I was under the impression that for any travel your passport had to be good for at least six months.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 06:43:50 pm by purpleparrot »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 07:07:11 pm »
Yes, I'll be staying in Korea until the end of February and then I'll be flying back home (US) the first week of March.  Passport expires first week of April. 

Yeah I was under the impression that for any travel your passport had to be good for at least six months.

There is no general rule, but many countries require foreign visitors to have passports valid for the length of their stay or some arbitrary time, like 6 months.

Your home country won’t ask this if you, but if you have stop-overs on your return flight, those places may have requirements (even if you are just changing planes).

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 07:57:26 pm »
You definitely need to let Korean immigration know ASAP about your new passport.

IIRC when Korean immigration update your new info, all other Korean governmental agencies have this data updated too, they're all on a unified system. But I would get a Korean to check for you, or wait until someone else here can confirm this. I just remember that when I got a new passport I only had to let Korean immigration know, and all the other systems like pension etc were fine.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• Snoah
  • Veteran

• April 21, 2011, 03:37:16 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 08:29:07 pm »
I think you have 14 days to notify immigration of the change after issuance (being notified by your embassy that it is ready for collection). This change can be done on the hikorea.go.kr website if you are registered and no need to visit immigration. You will get a fine if you don't. Can't see why it would affect your severance and pension.
Get 10% off iHerb products with this promo code FDT222: https://www.iherb.com/c/iherb-exclusives?rcode=FDT222

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2019, 12:58:59 am »
Probably a good idea to renew it now to avoid any issues. As others said be sure to report it to immigration. It will have no effect on your entitlements.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 07:37:32 am »
I assume that you have an E-2 visa -- and yes, you should report your new passport number (as others have said, within 14 days of receiving it) to immigration. You can fill out the application form (I think it's #34), write down your new passport number on that form, and fax it to the immigration office, along with a copy of both the front and back sides of your ARC.

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 08:09:08 am »
If you do not report your new passport number within 100 days you get a nice 100k won fine. Def update it with immi.