Read 915 times

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Which elementary games best transfer to middle school?
« on: October 02, 2019, 01:11:18 pm »
Which elementary games best transfer to middle school?  Some I am thinking are too immature for the grade 2s and 3s of middle school.  Just curious about your experiences.  I did all middle school for quite a few years but didn't use this site as much then.  I have been doing all elementary schools for 2 to 3 years and have expanded my use of games and have reworked many for this year.  However, if I end up in middle again, I wish to know which ones worked best. 

Re: Which elementary games best transfer to middle school?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2019, 08:57:44 am »
I went from ES to MS as well and Telepathy writing is a huge hit with my students. Sleeping elephants also works well but I've only ever used it with my 1st graders. I do Bingo with my kids but change it up a bit and do Line Bingo or People Bingo and they really like that as well. I never got around to playing Connect 4 with my ES students but it works with my MS kids, just tell them that it's similar to the Korean game 'Omok'

• Datasapien
  • Expert Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 09:45:39 am »
I reckon any game you've used with elem can work in middle too, the only difference being that older kids will probably get bored of the game more quickly than younger ones so you might have to have a few plan Bs just in case.

Sleeping elephants
Go Fish
Battleships
Connect 4
RPS card games
Zombie surveys / interviews

I think any games with an element of luck with regards to who wins or loses could be a hit with any age group. They're older but they're still kids after all (as are we! I'd still like to play a lot of these games in class to be honest haha).
I never finish anyth

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 11:21:02 am »
scateggories, hot seat, backs to the board

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 11:31:53 am »
What the others have mentioned already.

In my own experience, just about any game you play in elementary school can still be played in middle school, and the kids will enjoy it.

Hell, I've had high school students get excited about playing hangman. They're kind of easy to please here, with the exception of a few monsters here and there.

The games just need to be adjusted for content and levels, which, in some cases, may require an additional rule to make the games a little more challenging.

The most popular (non-ppt dependent) games in my schools are generally hot seat, board-racing, telephone (which I often combine with board-racing), bingo (if I have enough time, I make individual students pull the slips out and read them to the rest of the class -- for advanced classes, I do different styles of speed), running dictation races, Scattergories, Connect 4, Battleship, and pretty much anything memory-related.