Read 273 times

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
TB skin test, possible?
« on: October 02, 2019, 09:45:17 am »
Need to get a new TB test, and I'd much prefer to just get a skin test rather than an xray.

Is this a correct translation for TB skin test, 결핵 피부 검사   ??

Anyone able to get one? I've heard the skin tests are usually only in large hospitals, which is ironic because it is such an easy procedure made specifically to be convenient.

Thanks

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
Re: TB skin test, possible?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 10:34:44 am »
Need to get a new TB test, and I'd much prefer to just get a skin test rather than an xray.

Anyone able to get one? I've heard the skin tests are usually only in large hospitals, which is ironic because it is such an easy procedure made specifically to be convenient.
Thanks
I could be wrong, but I believe that the problem is that these 2 tests test for different things. The skin tests show latent TB, while the chest x-ray show whether or not you have an active infection.
Because TB was a problem here in the past, everybody here is vaccinated for it, which means that most everybody will test positive on a skin test, which is why small clinics generally don't bother with it.
Depending on your home country you may or may not have been vaccinated (I never was as neither the Netherlands nor Canada vaccinated for it back in the day).
If you test positive on a skin test (latent), you'll have to go do an x-ray anyway to see if you have a current infection.
So depending on whether or not you've been vaccinated for TB (ie, if you know you'll test positive for latent TB), you may or may not want to bother getting the skin test.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 10:40:27 am by kyndo »

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 10:40:36 am »
If you're doing the TB test for the yearly health exam requirement I think you can only do the chest x-ray. When I did mine last year I was told specifically to get a chest x-ray.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 10:46:27 am »

Thanks
I could be wrong, but I believe that the problem is that these 2 tests test for different things. The skin tests show latent TB, while the chest x-ray show whether or not you have an active infection.
Because TB was a problem here in the past, everybody here is vaccinated for it, which means that most everybody will test positive on a skin test, which is why small clinics generally don't bother with it.
Depending on your home country you may or may not have been vaccinated (I never was as neither the Netherlands nor Canada vaccinated for it back in the day).
If you test positive on a skin test (latent), you'll have to go do an x-ray anyway to see if you have a current infection.
So depending on whether or not you've been vaccinated for TB (ie, if you know you'll test positive for latent TB), you may or may not want to bother getting the skin test.

Ahh right I forgot about the vaccine, but no I haven't been vaccinated. Thanks

If you're doing the TB test for the yearly health exam requirement I think you can only do the chest x-ray. When I did mine last year I was told specifically to get a chest x-ray.

I wonder if this is because of the above issue. Thanks I'll ask before going.