• AnthroInKorea28
  • Adventurer

• November 25, 2015, 02:57:30 am
    • ROK
    more
Asking for References/ Letters of Recommendation
« on: September 28, 2019, 12:38:53 am »
Hey Waygookers,

So I actually left Korea a few months ago, I have kept casual contact with some of my ex-coteachers, I am actually in the process of applying for graduate schools and I was just wondering if anyone has tried asking their co-teacher to provide a recommendation letter for graduate school. Granted only a few of my previous co-workers have an English level high enough to where I would feel comfortable asking them, I am just wondering if anyone has done this before?
“The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.”
― Mark Twain

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Re: Asking for References/ Letters of Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 10:59:49 am »
Write the recommendation letters yourself.

Send it to your co-teachers to review and edit as they please. Then they sign and stamp it...and mail it to you, or send you a scanned copy.

Obviously remember not to write the same rec for each person lol.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 04:15:20 pm »
My Coteacher wrote one for me in korean and signed it and the vp signed it also. It was in korean but you can get it certified translated.

• Irv83
  • Waygookin

• March 22, 2017, 02:33:49 am
    • Cheongyang
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 08:40:08 am »
I'm applying to JET this year. Does anyone have any experience with the program?

I've been working with EPIK the past 2 years and I'm not sure if using my co-teachers to write the letter of reference is accepted. It states that co-workers are not accepted on the application requirements
Be excellent to each other!

• annataleen
  • Moderator LVL 1

• May 02, 2014, 01:27:07 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 01:15:09 pm »
I'm applying to JET this year. Does anyone have any experience with the program?

I've been working with EPIK the past 2 years and I'm not sure if using my co-teachers to write the letter of reference is accepted. It states that co-workers are not accepted on the application requirements

I did JET many years ago and I might be able to help. I didn't have teaching experience when I did JET, but I remember getting letters of recommendation from my old supervisors or managers. I am not sure if your co-teacher would be enough, unless they are the head of the English department. When I came to Korea via EPIK from Japan (which I wasn't a JET anymore when I left Japan) EPIK required a letter from my principal. If you could get that, that would be probably be your best option.