Read 935 times

Re: Global warming and kids
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2019, 03:23:10 pm »
All of the rapid changes in climate have given rise to all the mass extinctions in history that we know of. All this poop about how the world has changed in temperature over its life is dumb because it happened over hundreds of thousands or millions of years. That gives life time to adapt. Although humans have a huge leg up on adaptation these days the problem is mostly in the fact that most of humans live in close proximity to the ocean. People in the US are having such an issue with people moving there for refugee reasons.... imagine how that would change if millions of people would be displaced by rising sea waters. What are the economical implications?

The problem Cohort is expressing is because of deniers it means that there is so much energy on trying to explain and legitimize the truth of the matter we are not all working together on the solution. I don't know what an "upper form" is but I hope you would use information from MA/PHD climate scientists. There has been a unilateral consensus on what has to be done for years. The problem has been that big business doesn't want to lose profits. The entrenched business' don't want to have to change.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2019, 11:02:21 am »
I had asked 3 classes of highly gifted Upper Forms to come up with solutions and had given them a wealth of data to comb through, even fed them solutions as geo-engineering or helium-3 mining.

Most of them came to Kyndo's description of a 2nd Permian event and a 6+ degrees temp. rise prediction= no solutions.

Well, that settles it then, we're all doomed!

Perfect. I am 100% down with that.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2019, 08:17:03 am »
I had asked 3 classes of highly gifted Upper Forms to come up with solutions and had given them a wealth of data to comb through, even fed them solutions as geo-engineering or helium-3 mining.

Most of them came to Kyndo's description of a 2nd Permian event and a 6+ degrees temp. rise prediction= no solutions.

Technology is cool, and we should definitely chase technological solutions to existing problems, but I suspect that social change will be necessary for problems to be properly addressed.
   I feel that we're seeing the first stirrings of that social change what with the increasingly popular climate protests, which is a good sign... although I gotta say that I'm a little disappointed with the "It's already too late" message that a lot of activists are employing to bring attention to their cause. It's counter productive as I find that it really only feed attitudes like
Well, that settles it then, we're all doomed!
(I get that the comment was probably mostly tongue in cheek: just using it as an example of comments I frequently see on FB etc).

Also, Kim Stanley Robinson wrote a pretty decent novel (Forty Signs of Rain) which is a pretty neat look at how politicians, activists, and scientists in the Washington DC area might address the increasingly disastrous problems of climate change in the very near future. It's frustratingly realistic look but not entirely pessimistic, which is a nice change.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 08:29:08 am by kyndo »