Read 449 times

No longer in Korea, pension stuck in KEB Hana account
« on: September 24, 2019, 09:33:10 am »
TL;DR: Can someone please tell me if it's possible to get my money sent to me, via wire transfer or whatever method, and if so, how I can go about it?

I left Korea and my teaching job about a year and a half ago due to an accident which required hospitalization and major surgery.  I planned to return to Korea after I recovered, but I'm still not sure when I will be able to go back. (I'm in the US)

I have pension money in my KEB Hana account that I would like to retrieve, and I can't go to a Korean branch in person to get it.

My security certificate is now expired. I have my old ARC number, but I don't know if that's gonna cut it.  I can no longer even log into my account on the bank website.

I have tried to call the bank but Skype won't let me connect the call. I don't know if it's because of where I'm living or what, but it disconnects before I even get a ring. I'm currently disabled due to my injury, so it's hard for me to get around. I can go somewhere else that maybe has a better connection to make the call(s), but I want to have all my ducks in a row before I do that.

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to get my money sent to me, via wire transfer or whatever method, and how I need to go about it? I fear the bank will say that my only option is to go to their branch in Korea in person. Do I need to contact the embassy?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:37:53 am by bexbunny »

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
Re: No longer in Korea, pension stuck in KEB Hana account
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 10:27:25 am »
I would say there should be a way for them to reissue your security certificate with you over the phone. They expire every year and I was able to renew mine with the help of my husband without even contacting KEB. It's meant to be something you can do on your own through the app.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 10:48:48 am »
You will need a security certificate. Try downloading on of their apps. 1Q has an English option and use the global pay option. Do you still have the security card with the two digit numbers? You will need that also.

If these don’t work you’ll have to call them and get someone to act on your behalf maybe an old Coteacher?

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 11:29:47 am »
I would say there should be a way for them to reissue your security certificate with you over the phone. They expire every year and I was able to renew mine with the help of my husband without even contacting KEB. It's meant to be something you can do on your own through the app.

Thanks for your response! Sounds like I'll definitely have to give them a call then.  Hopefully that'll work. I downloaded the app but unfortunately I'm having password problems and have been locked out. XP

You will need a security certificate. Try downloading on of their apps. 1Q has an English option and use the global pay option. Do you still have the security card with the two digit numbers? You will need that also.

If these don’t work you’ll have to call them and get someone to act on your behalf maybe an old Coteacher?

I do still have the card with the two digit numbers. I tried to use it to retrieve my password on the app but got an error message in Korean. Google trans said something like "long term unused transfer stops Customers are not eligible for transfer."  Unfortunately, I have been blocked due to incorrect pw attempts.

Pretty sure I can't get a former coteacher to do anything for me. I left on good terms, but they were unwilling/unable to help me take care of these kind of things while I was wheelchair-bound and stuck in my basement apartment in Korea. So I'm guessing it might be even more difficult now OTL

This is why I'm wondering if I need to contact the embassy~ but I'll try to get the KEB on the phone first

Do you have a debit card?

Did you get a registered name seal, and did you link it to your account? Can you get a “power of attorney” done? You could get a friend to bring either of those.

KEB has a branch in Toronto... maybe other places too.

Yes I do have a debit card, but I don't have a registered name seal.  I had been wondering about power of attorney... I have a friend in Seoul whom I trust. Could I somehow grant her POA even though she's in a different country, and would a Korean bank accept that?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 12:19:05 pm by bexbunny »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 11:46:10 am »
Do you have a debit card?

Did you get a registered name seal, and did you link it to your account? Can you get a “power of attorney” done? You could get a friend to bring either of those.

KEB has a branch in Toronto... maybe other places too.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 11:48:11 am by JNM »