Read 956 times

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Mindhunter
« on: September 23, 2019, 11:53:49 am »
Just heard about this show on Netflix and watched the first episode.

Hooked

Binged on the weekend

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
Re: Mindhunter
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 12:10:11 pm »
Mindhunter is amazing! I've always been super interested in criminology but never knew the history behind profiling and all that. It's super interesting to see the work that went into creating the profile for what makes someone a serial killer. Also the casting is insane! I was looking at side-by-sides of the actors in character and the actual killers they play and was just shocked at how similar they are. Like the guy that plays Ed Kemper didn't really go through much hair and makeup wise to look like him.

Sidenote: if you like that actor he's also in The Umbrella Academy on Netflix; it's a great show based on the comic book written by Gerard Way of My Chemical Romance.

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 01:13:00 pm »
Good show although having watched Manhunt: Unabomber and also the whole Fincher-Zodiac thing, sometimes things kind of blend together.

Holt McCallany is great as Tench and Anna Torv as Wendy Carr is really good, even if both of their characters tend to be archetypes.

Holden  is only moderately annoying, which is a rare feat these days. For some reason a lot of lead characters irritate me in shows. Jon Snow and Dany in Game of Thrones, Juliana, Frank, and Joe in Man in the High Castle. McNulty in The Wire, Abe in Turn.

Basically it seems that any character written to appeal to people under the age of 35 comes across as insufferable.

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 12:45:03 pm »
Just finished season 1 and can't wait to start 2.

I watch all this stuff: Mindhunter, Ballers, Ozark, Billions.....on Popcorn Time.

Ihelena is right. The killers were perfectly cast and that Kemper guy is downright terrifying. He is insane....

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 01:22:38 pm »
yeah mindhunters is the best netflix original

• Liechtenstein
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 02:14:56 pm »
I've started season 2 and the episode with Charlie Manson was creepy. The guy looked exactly like him.

This show is really amazing and is creeping me out big-time. I was in elementary school when Charlie and the family were doing their thing. I remember my older brother and his friends talking about it, my parents and their friends too. I didn't get it, but I knew the name The Manson Family and that something really bad happened.

I remember many of the serial killers they talk to when they were actually active prior to being caught. Now they're after the Atlanta killer and I know it's gotta be Wayne Williams. I was in university when this was happening and it was front page news.

I wonder if they'll get into the Paul Bernardo / Karla Homolka . I was living in Toronto when they were killing. It was called the Scarborough rapist case. I remember the FBI being called in to help and they nailed it, man. It was incredible. They even said the guy would be driving a beige Camaro, which he was. If memory serves correct.

Incredible show and the soundtrack is straight outta my youth. Perfect tunes for the time. This may very well be the best TV series I have ever seen.

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 02:39:46 pm »
I've started season 2 and the episode with Charlie Manson was creepy. The guy looked exactly like him.
Fun fact: The actor who portrays him, Damon Herriman, is actually Australian!

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 02:47:46 pm »

This show is really amazing and is creeping me out big-time. I was in elementary school when Charlie and the family were doing their thing. I remember my older brother and his friends talking about it, my parents and their friends too. I didn't get it, but I knew the name The Manson Family and that something really bad happened.

I remember many of the serial killers they talk to when they were actually active prior to being caught. Now they're after the Atlanta killer and I know it's gotta be Wayne Williams. I was in university when this was happening and it was front page news.

I wonder if they'll get into the Paul Bernardo / Karla Homolka . I was living in Toronto when they were killing. It was called the Scarborough rapist case. I remember the FBI being called in to help and they nailed it, man. It was incredible. They even said the guy would be driving a beige Camaro, which he was. If memory serves correct.

Incredible show and the soundtrack is straight outta my youth. Perfect tunes for the time. This may very well be the best TV series I have ever seen.

Bernado / Homolka would be very interesting to see!

The actual guy this show is based around wrote a book about his time in behavioral science at the FBI and developing the serial killer category. I'm not sure if the show is following the book, but I really want to read it now.

• Lazio
  • Super Waygook

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 02:53:44 pm »
Just finished 2 seasons to see if it lives up to the hype. Well, it didn't.
Having watched a lot of Criminal Minds, it doesn't really show anything new. Not that CM is such a great show, although the first 2 seasons were pretty awesome IMHO.
The first season of Mindhunter was incredibly slow. That whole thing should've been made into no more than 4-5 episodes. The second season was the same, untill it picked up some pace from the middle of the season.
Dr. Carr's character and her "outside of work" story is highly annoying and boring. She has the same expression on her face throughout the entire series. After a while I just fast forwarded her parts. The creators also didn't really work on the details of Agent Ford's character. His girlfriend was also annoying and their relationship was just an unnecessary waste of show time. The only interesting back story is Agent Tench's one. Although, it is way too artificial. The agent who hunts psychopaths has a psycho adopted son himself... How original

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 03:53:23 pm »
I can totally draw analogies between these TV shows and some of my students' erratic behaviour in my classes. Last week a boy spent an entire hour brooding dark thoughts no doubt because I had closed his laptop cover while passing by and made him lose a highscore in the silly candycrush game he was playing. :P
incumbo studiis

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 05:30:46 pm »
Just finished 2 seasons to see if it lives up to the hype. Well, it didn't.
Having watched a lot of Criminal Minds, it doesn't really show anything new. Not that CM is such a great show, although the first 2 seasons were pretty awesome IMHO.
The first season of Mindhunter was incredibly slow. That whole thing should've been made into no more than 4-5 episodes. The second season was the same, untill it picked up some pace from the middle of the season.
Dr. Carr's character and her "outside of work" story is highly annoying and boring. She has the same expression on her face throughout the entire series. After a while I just fast forwarded her parts. The creators also didn't really work on the details of Agent Ford's character. His girlfriend was also annoying and their relationship was just an unnecessary waste of show time. The only interesting back story is Agent Tench's one. Although, it is way too artificial. The agent who hunts psychopaths has a psycho adopted son himself... How original

Mindhunter does remind me of Criminal Minds when Gideon was still around. Now, it is just too glossy and the profiling comes too easy.

With Mindhunter, I do like to see how the BAU had its beginnings and seeing profiling in its infancy. It has been interesting to see how the terminlogy used to categorize serial killers evolved over time.

Dr. Carr is just a filler character.