Read 7556 times

Re: Do you regret leaving/not leaving Korea?
« Reply #140 on: October 11, 2019, 08:25:20 am »
http://www.eslcafe.com/jobs/korea/index.cgi?read=78100

2.5 mil

I've heard that is a pretty good school...

Vacation: Of Course! It's against the law not to give it. (So we give you the bare minimum 10 days)

Isn't it the new law now that contract workers must have 26 paid vacation days a year, as long as the business has more than something like 2-3 employees?

If I'm not mistaken, then they're failing to give the legally required minimum anyway.

I know  a lot of people wouldn't consider this a big deal as, law or no law, it's still the norm, but js.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 08:28:27 am by Chinguetti »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #141 on: October 11, 2019, 09:08:02 am »
an employee whose contract starts on January 1st, 2018 is entitled to total 26 days of leave for the first two years. (11 days of leave for the first year, and 15 days for the second year).

https://www.koreanlaborlaw.com/new-system-for-calculating-annual-leave-takes-effect-on-may-29th-2018/

But this is only for private companies. People who are employed by the government are entitled to their 26 day paid leave per year.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 09:10:44 am by waygo0k »

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #142 on: October 11, 2019, 09:38:05 am »
If you manage to get one of these 2.5mil jobs PLUS a part time gig that pays 1.5mil to 2mil per month...I'm sure you'll be able to afford 10 days vacation plus any amount of unpaid days you want.

Right, but many contracts these days do not allow unpaid vacation. You know this. Money is not the issue, we all have enough money to take time off.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #143 on: October 11, 2019, 09:57:21 am »
What do you mean? We’re talking about hagwons here...not public schools or official formal private schools. There’s no bureaucracy to go through.

All you have to do is have an informal chat with your boss, well ahead of time. Arrange for a substitute to cover for you while you’re away and ensure they have all the materials they’ll need.

Any boss that feels entitled to reject that kind of request is one I wouldn’t even consider working for in the first place.

And many contracts indeed do have stipulations for absence without pay.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #144 on: October 11, 2019, 10:00:59 am »
yeah most places wouldn't mind, i think. i've done it. even for my new job - i was offered it and couldn't take it because i was travelling for a month, so they found a sub for a month to cover me. not a big deal

the problem with working another job though...would most employers agree to sign off on allowing you to have another part-time job, if you're on an E2?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #145 on: October 11, 2019, 10:11:17 am »
That entirely depends on your relationship with your employer. If you have a good, working relationship with them and they like your work...the last thing they’d want is an unhappy teacher. You should also be considerate by making this as painless as possible for your employer (you’ll have to do ALL of the legwork when it comes to gathering documents for immigration etc). And of course you wouldn’t want to be working for a direct competitor.

The other option would be to negotiate it before you sign a contract with any potential employer. Let them know you intend to have a second job and it won’t affect the work you’ll be doing with them. Have your permission letter ready for them to sign, date and stamp alongside the employment contract you’ll sign...win-win for everyone.

If they refuse...try to talk it over with them or walk away.

« Reply #146 on: October 11, 2019, 05:40:39 pm »
Wayg00k you've proven nothing with those job ads other than that a few hagwons pay a few hundred thousand more than the usual rate. The Gangnam kindy paying 2.8 sounds pretty good but that's one school. And that's still a far far cry from a) making 5m a month or b) making 2.1 or more for only 25 hours of work a week with no lesson prep. These aren't claims that I made, they are claims that other people here made.

Any bog standard hagwon makes you teach 30 hours a week, but you're still expected to put in a 40 hour week. Yes a cushy one will let you leave the building for breaks (many don't) but that is a far cry from working 25 hours a week with zero prep then jetting over to your second hagwon job, which is supposedly totally common and real. You still have to go back into the building and finish teaching your last classes 8 hours after you started, like a normal person with a normal hagwon job.

Also that "KnK International Homeschool" sounds like one of those fake international schools that got cracked down on heavily a couple years ago. Work there at your own risk. And they're asking for certified teachers anyway. I'm looking for jobs where any joe schmoe E-2 with a BA in international basket weaving can walk into a job making 5m for full time work or 2.1+ for part-time work.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2019, 05:47:48 pm by MayorHaggar »
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #147 on: October 11, 2019, 05:57:49 pm »
I'm looking for jobs where any joe schmoe E-2 with a BA in international basket weaving can walk into a job making 5m for full time work

Did anyone claim that was possible? Oglop claimed you could make 5m a month on an F2 without putting yourself out too much, which i agree with, and I claimed I used to make 5 mil on an E2 but I never said you could do that with just a BA in basket weaving. Stop changing the conditions all the time. As far as I know nobody ever said it was easy to make 5 mil with an E2 but you seem to make out it was an actual claim in every post.

« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2019, 07:22:21 am »
Oglop never said anything about an F2, he said "i mean, earning 5m a won in korea is....well, easy, really. and enjoyable (most importantly). i enjoy all of my jobs and i have enough free time off if i want it."

You meanwhile said anyone can do it on an E-2. Now you're saying not everyone can do it. I'm talking about basket weaving because the Korean E-2 requirements are pretty ridiculous and you literally could become an E-2 teacher with a degree in basket weaving. If you're talking about jobs that only certain people can get, like genuine non-fake international schools that require certified teachers or test prep places that require Harvard degrees (and mostly employ gyopos!), be upfront about that and stop misleading people.

You guys are the ones who keep changing your tunes. Several days ago we were at "anyone can make 5m a month on an E-2" and "anyone can make 2.1m on 25 hours a week of work." Now we're at "F visas can make 5m a month, or only super special E-2's" and "you can make 2.5m at a handful of schools working 40 hours a week."

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2019, 07:40:35 am »
You meanwhile said anyone can do it on an E-2.

Not true, I said this back on page 3

Never said it was easy, and you'd need more than an online TEFL cert.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #150 on: October 12, 2019, 08:45:58 am »
Oglop never said anything about an F2, he said "i mean, earning 5m a won in korea is....well, easy, really. and enjoyable (most importantly). i enjoy all of my jobs and i have enough free time off if i want it."

You meanwhile said anyone can do it on an E-2. Now you're saying not everyone can do it. I'm talking about basket weaving because the Korean E-2 requirements are pretty ridiculous and you literally could become an E-2 teacher with a degree in basket weaving. If you're talking about jobs that only certain people can get, like genuine non-fake international schools that require certified teachers or test prep places that require Harvard degrees (and mostly employ gyopos!), be upfront about that and stop misleading people.

You guys are the ones who keep changing your tunes. Several days ago we were at "anyone can make 5m a month on an E-2" and "anyone can make 2.1m on 25 hours a week of work." Now we're at "F visas can make 5m a month, or only super special E-2's" and "you can make 2.5m at a handful of schools working 40 hours a week."
I meant on an F visa. Hard for e2s, yeah

Edit: yeah, I went back and looked at my original post and I didn't explicitly mention F visas. My bad. I meant earning 5m, for me, in my current situation, isn't that hard (as I'm sure is the same for other F visas) - not necessarily for everyone
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 08:53:00 am by oglop »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #151 on: October 12, 2019, 04:10:35 pm »
Still waiting for proof of all these 5m a month or 2.5m for 25 hours of week jobs that basically grow on trees in Korea in the middle of a multi-year recession.

I provided multiple examples of this. To which you claimed they don’t count because they’re jobs that have a 40-hr work week (despite conventional knowledge and practice that differentiates between working hours and teaching hours).

Let’s say you might not have enough prep time because you’ll be working so much with 2 jobs...you can negotiate minimal to no prep-hours for your part time gig, given they’d only be paying you for teaching hours. The prep should be done by them.

The other option is to use some of your weekend time for prep. Even then, as an experienced teacher with xy years’ experience...how much time do you need to whip up a few lessons?

« Reply #152 on: October 12, 2019, 07:46:28 pm »
Nope, you're not getting away with this. Several people said that you can get part time work for the same salary that most full-time hagwons pay. I asked for proof and I still haven't seen any. A 30 hour teaching week is not part-time work, it is full-time work and any bog standard hagwon makes you do this unless you are getting screwed over and teaching too many classes. Having breaks does not make it part time work, and you're not going to have time to go to a second job unless you want to basically work 80 hours a week.

This is what VanIslander claimed:

In the last 17 years i've come across plenty of teachers (and even more offers) working the afternoon: 3pm-8pm, or 4pm-9pm, TWENTY HOUR work week with 30 minutes or less of come-early time, no deskwarming or meetings. And the pay is 2.0 to 2.4 usually, 9 times out 10, for those smaller city/town one-waygook afternoon hagwons (no kindy, no adults). One very common feature of this kind of numerous hagwon: no one is even at the academy until noon at the earliest! And no one works weekends. This is ONE KIND of hagwon but there are TONS of this kind nationwide!

So,... if you want a 20-hour work week for 2.2 million with no mornings or weekends or kindy or adults, there are PLENTY of such jobs to be had.

The only jobs I've ever heard of like this were after-school programs, and as I said before a bunch of them got raided a couple of years ago for tax evasion. Now E-2's can't take these jobs, only F visa holders.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2019, 07:50:28 pm by MayorHaggar »

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2019, 02:10:47 am »
To legally do 5 mil on an E-2:

*Find work with a reasonable hagwon where you teach no more than 25-30hrs per week at 2.5 net...either one where classes start at around 3-4pm, or one where classes finish at that time.

*This is the difficult part - Find a second teaching gig where the hours are reverse that of your main job...you’ll find yourself teaching 6-10 classes per day. NEGOTIATE your pay to the 35-40k won per class at the BARE MINIMUM.

*Your reasonable hagwon boss will assist you in adding a second job to your E-2 by providing the necessary document(s), which you will submit to immigration

*This is the tricky part - MAKE SURE you’re on top of your tax payments, both at your main and side jobs. Your tax rate will significantly rise given your increased income. The last thing you want is to have a sudden tax bill of 1-3 mil during tax season.

In reality, most people won’t hit the 5mil mark (legally)...most will top out between 4-4.5 because of the hourly rate they’ll get at their side gig (25-30k).

I explained how to do it here.

Nothing near an 80hr work week.

30hrs at your main job (maximum) plus 15-20hrs at your side gig gives you a 45-50hr teaching week.

Let’s say you do 2hrs prep time each day because you like to take your time with prepping...that’s a 55hr to 60hr work week for 4.5-5mil per month on an E2. I know this because I’ve done it.

If you’re on an F-2 you should be looking at 7-8mil for those hours.

Your main issue this entire time has been that 2.5mil @ 25 teaching hours per week jobs don’t exist...which I have shown you they do.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2019, 05:45:57 am »
It bears repeating:

Away from Seoul in small cities and towns down south there are PLENTY of one-waygook hagwons where no one, not even the director and receptionist/office manager, shows up before noon, one or two o'clock, where there's no kindy or adult classes or weekend classes, and doors are closed at 9 or 10, the waygook gone the minute the last class is finished, not expected to arrive more than thirty minutes prior to the first class, with no meetings or deskwarming or reports. These afternoon elementary and middle school hagwons typically pay 2.0-2.2 for 20-25 hours in total in the academy.

They are a dime a dozen.

Over half of my 17 years have been in such, in Geoje, Hadong and Geochang, with Jeju Island a different dynamic. And i have met a lot of foreigners taking these jobs.

Sometimes you urbanites are talking about a different country when you equate big city Seoul/Daegu/Busan with the entire nation.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2019, 08:53:50 am »
Totally agree Van...those hagwons also exist in Seoul/Gyeonggi.

In fact, I used to feel so bad for turning up at work at 3pm and then going home at 6-8pm (all the korean staff worked 2-10), that I would sometimes turn up before everyone and do some prep/marking for my classes...it wasn’t mandatory, but I did it anyway. And that was usually straight after my morning part time gig.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2019, 10:15:45 am »
But now you work at a public school. So I'm guessing those short hour hagwons gradually became longer hour hagwons (with no corresponding increase in payment). That's what I heard from many old timers.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2019, 10:18:09 am »
Your main issue this entire time has been that 2.5mil @ 25 teaching hours per week jobs don’t exist...which I have shown you they do.

No, not teaching hours. Total hours at work. Which exceed the number of teaching hours.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2019, 10:21:11 am »
I do two hours of prep and six hours of vigorous teaching a day five days a week, 8 hours a day in all, 40 hours a week in total, full throttle all-in effort when I'm at work (no slacking at all EVER when in my classroom)

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2019, 10:26:14 am »
For the last decade I've taught in six-hour blocks (3-9 or 2:30-8:20) at the most, so I've added two hours of prep every day, to make an 8-hour work day. My employer only expected half an hour to an hour prep, and the other teachers certainly don't show up two hours early to prep (not the foreign ones anyway), so I am seen as some sort of extra-dedicated teacher for simply putting in an 8-hour day every day!!!!!!!
I believe an 8-hour work day, one third of a 24-hour day, is reasonable and doable five days a week, and if one teaches less hours than that, why not fill up the difference in prep time to maximize one's teaching ability and the learning experience for students?