Read 4514 times

Re: RUGBY WORLD CUP 2019
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2019, 12:06:57 pm »
their conditioning/fitness level was off the chart - they were running, tackling, and storming Ireland just as hard at the end of the game as the start...
That's what impressed me the most. Didn't take the foot off the gas in the last 20.

New Zealand coach...!

Rugby is an 80 minute game, and it's as cliched as hell to say, but it's not over until the final whistle - how many games like this have the All Blacks won by storming back in a higher gear in the last 5-10 minutes?

Most teams - even the good ones (England, anyone?) tend to flag in the last 20 minutes or so; the GREAT teams, kick into another gear when their superior conditioning takes over at this stage... Japan has learned that lesson well!

'Nuff said!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 12:12:42 pm by Titus Groan »

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2019, 03:06:25 pm »
Well, I'm heading down to The Cave in HBC in about 10 minutes to start priming the pump for the OZ vs WALES clash at 4:45 this arvo...

Not sure if anyone here is/will be in the vicinity, but, if so, feel free to stop in...First pint's on me!

(Rugby World Cups bring out my magnanimity, esp. if the All Blacks are playing...!).

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2019, 10:20:05 pm »
Another good game: 1st half all Wales; 2nd half all OZ...The Aussies were just pipped at the post... 29-25 for Wales.

This bodes well for some very entertaining post-round-robin games!

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2019, 08:57:38 am »
Great game. It always feels weird supporting Australia.

World Rugby is going to have to clear up some of the tackle contact issues eventually. There were a few calls that were a bit overdone.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2019, 03:57:04 pm »
Australia have been terrible against the All Blacks for years now,* surprised how much heart they put into that game. Not really a great sign for Wales that they barely won against a team that routinely gets pounded by the AB's. I was expecting more from Ireland and Wales since they get bigged up on the world rankings so much.

*Yes they won well that one time recently when Scott Barrett got red carded, then they got destroyed by the AB's in the next game at Eden Park as per usual.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• zola
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2019, 09:55:38 am »
Man did Samoa look bad last night.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2019, 12:13:13 pm »
Man did Samoa look bad last night.

Yes they were totally outclassed.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2019, 04:31:05 pm »
Definitely not one of their better games...!

Pool A though, is certainly the most interesting to watch now, what with both Ireland and Scotland down a game...the final Pool game - Scotland vs Japan- is going to be a doozy and will basically decide who goes through to the Quarters: Bonus points are going to make all the difference now...!

« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2019, 09:35:03 pm »
SCOTLAND vs JAPAN:  Just finished...Japan beat Scotland 28-21 - They are through to the Quarterfinals (1st time ever...), and what a game: absolute barnburner, and total monster last 10 minutes!

Japan and Ireland go through from Pool A: Japan play South Africa in the Quarters; Ireland play the All Blacks...It's going to be a serious weekend of Rugby coming up!!

« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2019, 09:45:44 pm »
SCOTLAND vs JAPAN:  Just finished...Japan beat Scotland 28-21 - They are through to the Quarterfinals (1st time ever...), and what a game: absolute barnburner, and total monster last 10 minutes!
My Korean wife's threatening me with divorce if I keep rooting for Japan.....

Anyone know a good lawyer?

• zola
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2019, 08:06:18 am »
Brilliant game. Japan are a real threat. If i was going to put money on it i'd pick South Africa, but I certainly think Japan can push them. A very real chance of a 2015 repeat. They are a pleasure to watch.

England v Australia - I guess England. Would love to see Australia upset them.

Wales v France - By form and past season, Wales all day. But France is France. After having a player mutiny, they are just as likely to come out of nowhere and surprise everyone. Or get thumped by 30 points.

NZ v Ireland - Never feel confident when we play Ireland. Even with their pretty ordinary pool games and loss to Japan. I'll say ABs should win.

It's going a great weekend of rugby. So excited ;D ;D ;D
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2019, 09:13:31 am »
Cor yeah what a bunch of games to look forward to! Watched a few games 2 weekends ago and have been catching the highlights of all the others. Think this weekend I have to try find some streams.
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2019, 10:00:15 am »
That Scotland - Japan game was awesome. Japanese handling and fitness was something to behold.

I like to root for Japan but of course, this weekend I will have to support my country.  Think it is going to be a great game.

« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2019, 12:35:37 pm »
Think this weekend I have to try find some streams.
No need, Sir.

All games are broadcast in HD (for free) on the official website, www.rugbyworldcup.com.

That is, assuming you're in Korea? The official website stream can only be accessed in countries that are not showing the games on regular TV (i.e. countries that haven't purchased TV viewing rights). Korea qualifies for this, obviously. 

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2019, 01:39:30 pm »
No need, Sir.

Me oh my, many thanks friend!  Muchly appreciated  :-*
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2019, 02:09:15 pm »
ITV with VPN set to London is just great.

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2019, 03:10:06 pm »
No need, Sir.

All games are broadcast in HD (for free) on the official website, www.rugbyworldcup.com.

That is, assuming you're in Korea? The official website stream can only be accessed in countries that are not showing the games on regular TV (i.e. countries that haven't purchased TV viewing rights). Korea qualifies for this, obviously. 

I've been watching all the games at various pubs in HBC...

I also have the official site bookmarked, but I can't find any streaming (HD or otherwise) options!

Where/How do you access the free streaming feeds on the official site?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 03:15:55 pm by Titus Groan »

« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2019, 03:44:13 pm »
No need, Sir.

I've been watching all the games at various pubs in HBC...

I also have the official site bookmarked, but I can't find any streaming (HD or otherwise) options!

Where/How do you access the free streaming feeds on the official site?
Strange! You're in Korea? Do you have a VPN enabled? If so, try turning it off. Stream should be on the landing page whenever a game is on. Just click the play button and sign in with your google/gmail account.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2019, 05:20:37 pm »
...and down goes Australia.

England faces either my All Blacks, or the Irish.

Lovely!

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2019, 06:05:31 pm »
Note: I had a top-10 list "Game Day" every class last week at my hagwon where four teams (of two or three) had eighty country name laminated cards in a big box and had to find the top ten for the small box.

One of the top 10 lists was the ranking of rugby great countries. Most groups in most classes put Australia, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and the United States of America. I had to inform them that most Americans (and us Canadians) have never watched a full rugby game in our lives, and that other English-speaking countries like Ireland, South Africa and New Zealand like rugby.

The elementary school kids almost all overlooked New Zealand whereas about half the middle school classes had at least one team who had learned about the haka dance of the All Blacks in social studies class. Not bad for a farming town an hour away from the nearest city.