Read 5319 times

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Re: You need a billion won to retire in Korea?
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2019, 05:28:08 pm »
It's probably like the units of alcohol advice in reverse - doctors set it at whatever it is a week assuming people are going to drink double.

Studies touting the benefits of moderate alcohol consumption were funded by and published by the alcohol industry. See the conflict of interest there?

The optimal amount of alcohol to drink for optimal health: none at all.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/24/641618937/no-amount-of-alcohol-is-good-for-your-health-global-study-claims

https://datac.ca/study-no-alcohol-improves-mental-health/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 06:50:01 pm by L I »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2019, 06:14:57 pm »
Not being a denier by the way, just saying. It's probably like the units of alcohol advice in reverse - doctors set it at whatever it is a week assuming people are going to drink double.

Studies touting the benefits of moderate alcohol consumption were funded by and published by the alcohol industry. See the conflict of interest there?

The optimal amount of alcohol to drink for optimal health: none at all.

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/24/641618937/no-amount-of-alcohol-is-good-for-your-health-global-study-claims

https://datac.ca/study-no-alcohol-improves-mental-health/

I wouldn't have thought those results funded by the alcohol industry were guaranteed to boost sales though.  Isn't it more likely they will convince people who drink a lot to cut down to moderate alcohol consumption, rather than convince people who don't drink at all to suddenly start?

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2019, 06:42:44 pm »
Are you some kind of marketing expert? No. The alcohol industry muddied the truth. They made alcohol seem healthy. When in actuality, alcohol in any capacity does more harm than good when looking at the overall picture.

As an alcohol drinker, you want to convince yourself and others that alcohol is not so bad. It's obvious.

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2019, 06:51:51 pm »
Stuff kids learn about climate change probably comes from organisations that have a vested interest in climate change.

Their vested interest is they want to help the world not be destroyed.

The vested interest of deniers is they want to pollute more. Out of a selfish laziness (freedom from big government they'll call it) if they're an average Joe and out of desire for more wealth if they're a fossil fuels industry fat cat.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2019, 06:55:55 pm »
As an alcohol drinker, you want to convince yourself and others that alcohol is not so bad. It's obvious.

Actually, as a heavy-ish drinker, I don't really care about the effects of moderate drinking or abstinence and have no desire to convince others of anything.

Are you some kind of marketing expert? No.

No, I'm not that's why I posed my comment in the form of a question, not being an expert on the subject.

The vested interest of deniers is they want to pollute more

Maybe so, I'm not a denier, as i said, so I wouldn't know. I do know a lot of people who are not in favour of draconian climate regulations say they are in favour of lifting more people in the developing world out of poverty.

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2019, 07:11:41 pm »
How are the climate regulations draconian?

Language like that minimizes the gravity of the situation.

I find it odd you often defend air pollution as well as the alcohol industry.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2019, 07:49:11 pm »
I find it odd you often defend air pollution as well as the alcohol industry.

Please point to things I've said on here that do either.

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2019, 06:27:15 am »
Too often when a poster says something negative about alcohol or air pollution you pop in with an ad hominem /  whataboutism / red herring. That's akin to defending to some degree. Which is too bad because the dangers of both are understated.

There is compelling evidence that the invisible particles within pollution damage the brain
https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1069790/air-pollution-huge-reduction-intelligence-men-risk-spt
The latest study of the link between air pollution and declining intelligence, alongside the evidence of a link between air pollution and dementia, makes the case for becoming more environmentally friendly stronger.
Not sure how you can keep pushing this agenda while advocating for the legalisation of soft drugs at the same time. I mean what about the evidence they also have long term effects on the brain?
Because people want to do soft drugs, but people don't want to do air pollution.
Plenty of people want to live in cities or countries that happen to have air pollution.
Eggie my dear boy, wanting to live in a city =/= wanting to inhale some of that sweet sweet air pollution.
People want to do soft drugs, but people don't want to do air pollution.
Presumably people who want to smoke dope would prefer to get high without having to breathe in dangerous chemicals. I don't get your point. Living in a modern industrial city and smoking dope are both things people want to do that can have dangerous side effects.

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2019, 11:33:13 am »
My working hypothesis is that you need two properties to retire when you are someone like me who has not paid long term into any national pension

One property to live in and the other to charge a rent in order to survive.

And if one property is all you'll be able to afford - which is quite likely - you can get a roommate and / or take in boarders. Run a hostel and live inside. Something like that. It's better than being stuck in an inner city low income housing projects bad neighborhood where many gang member criminals live.

« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2019, 11:50:20 am »
I think this guy is full of shit, his premises are faulty and his conclusions
are meaningless.

He says you need one billion won ($835,000) to retire in Korea.  Who the hell
has that kind of dough?

Most people I know do. Really, anyone who isn't catastrophically bad with money should have that amount by age 50.

Personally I wouldn't retire in Korea without 1.5B won. If you have 500M locked up in your residence, and 1000M in financial investments yielding 6%, that gives you 60M per year living expenses (5M won per month). Plus any retirement benefits you have coming. That's comfortable. But Koreans are good with money and can make 800M work.

In order to figure it properly you need to build an Excel model with inflation, investment return, lifespan, monthly spending, travel, social security, etc.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2019, 06:04:00 pm »
are meaningless.

has that kind of dough?

If you're making 10 million+ a month, it shouldn't take you that long to get there.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2019, 07:31:23 pm »
are meaningless.

has that kind of dough?

If you're making 10 million+ a month, it shouldn't take you that long to get there.

Step 1: ???
Step 2: earn 10m a month
Step 3: retire comfortably

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2019, 08:34:02 pm »
are meaningless.

has that kind of dough?

Step 1: ???
Step 2: earn 10m a month
Step 3: retire comfortably

Ask SPQR about step 1, he's the one saying he was making that with a study room. You asked him about how it was going.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2019, 08:39:34 pm »
i saw his post after yours. i also guess that's what you were referencing? ;)

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2019, 08:56:58 pm »
Step 1 is to marry a Korean to get the F visa.

Then work very hard, putting in many, many hours.

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• seoul
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2019, 09:05:22 pm »
If you're planning to marry a Korean girl j
Step 1 is to marry a Korean to get the F visa.

Then work very hard, putting in many, many hours.

If you're going to marry a Korean girl just to get an F visa, you might as well  try and find a rich one and avoid step 2.

• L I
  • The Legend

« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2019, 10:59:21 pm »
But women don't marry down. They always go for a guy who makes more money than they do / has more wealth than they do ... unless the guy is significantly more good looking than they are.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #77 on: November 21, 2019, 12:48:06 pm »
But women don't marry down. They always go for a guy who makes more money than they do / has more wealth than they do ... unless the guy is significantly more good looking than they are.
It's more of a class thing than an actual finance issue. A woman can be making $250,000 a year, but if the guy is making say $200,000 but from the same perceived social class, than it's okay. In North American culture classes a very blurred, because you can supposedly work your way up a class, so it's harder to gauge. But say in England, very little chance a woman in the upper class would marry some miner's son, unless this miner's son becomes some billionaire. Or how the British press is giving prince Harry's wife Meghan a hard time, a lot of it has to do with class.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 12:58:52 pm by pkjh »

• SPQR
  • Super Waygook

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #78 on: November 21, 2019, 01:52:33 pm »
are meaningless.

has that kind of dough?

Most people I know do. Really, anyone who isn't catastrophically bad with money should have that amount by age 50.

Personally I wouldn't retire in Korea without 1.5B won. If you have 500M locked up in your residence, and 1000M in financial investments yielding 6%, that gives you 60M per year living expenses (5M won per month). Plus any retirement benefits you have coming. That's comfortable. But Koreans are good with money and can make 800M work.

In order to figure it properly you need to build an Excel model with inflation, investment return, lifespan, monthly spending, travel, social security, etc.

You are so far off the mark here it isn't even funny.  The net worth
of an average Korean is 195 million won.

http://koreabizwire.com/south-koreas-average-wealth-level-similar-to-that-of-western-europe-report/126414

« Reply #79 on: November 21, 2019, 02:02:47 pm »
You are so far off the mark here it isn't even funny.  The net worth
of an average Korean is 195 million won.

Shrug, that has nothing to do with what I said.

Look kid, you're broke and I'm a wealthy finance pro. So probably you should be quiet and learn.