Read 629 times

• nvca103
  • Newgookin

• March 03, 2019, 07:37:02 pm
    • Seoul
Ideas for reading club when the majority can't read
« on: September 09, 2019, 05:02:31 pm »
I have a reading club with grades 3 to 5 but only one or two students out of 7 or 8 can actually read English.

I'm not sure how to incorporate the low level students.

Re: Ideas for reading club when the majority can't read
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 11:34:56 pm »
start with low level books, with some repetition. Then you read the books to the kids, have them repeat after you and follow along in the books. also do activities aimed to build reading skills. But books I like are things Eric Carle and Bill Martin Jr (such as Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?)

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 03:52:35 am »
The Cat in the Hat.

It rhymes.

The readers read. Then repeat the line with non-readers.

First do a diagnostic exercise to split the class into two groups: readers on one side, nonreaders on the other. (Or captain readers and nonreaders as the foot soldiers to repeat.)

Make a game of it. "Big" candy for the team SPEAKING the best ("most energy" - an effort award). ... of course give small candy to the other team. Everyone gets something.

• buckybee
  • Adventurer

• August 30, 2015, 02:36:08 pm
    • Gunsan
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2019, 01:49:51 pm »
I think you can incorporate phonics lessons into the camp. For example, for my camp, I will create a trail of alphabet letters and they will jump to the correct letter when they hear the correct sound. You can also do the jumping for words. Or alphabet races, run from one side of the room  to grab the correct letter and place it in the basket or on the whiteboard in their teams section. If your correct 1 point, fastest team 2 points.
You can make the two students that can read group captains. Have them guide the others.

Other suggestions is listening to a passage from a story. Show them a power point with the passage but have missing words then have them guess what words were said. If they are correct, reward the students with candy, coupons, stars for their group, or high fives.

Or have them repeat a line from the passage it's self.

Have them practice simple tongue twisters from nursery rhymes.

Matching activities would be good, have them read simple words and match them to a picture. It could be related to the story they're learning about.  If there level is too low, match the alphabet letter with words.

You could also write the English pronunciation of the story lines in Hangul so that they can read along. Have the higher level students explain the story to them. Have them guess the spelling.

Anyways, hope this helps some.

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 12:46:32 pm »
I know this is a bit late but, I have made some booklets based on their textbook with the Korean translations.  This way it is reviewing what they already know and they can know what they are reading.  By knowing the Korean they 'should' know the English and then be looking at the written English to confirm it.
Attached are a few samples of the booklets