Read 1306 times

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
S. Korea 10th worst country for ex-pats
« on: September 09, 2019, 02:04:24 pm »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/the-10-worst-countries-to-live-in-the-world-as-an-expat-230131660.html

I'm surprised about Italy being 2nd worst. The rest make sense.

The 10 worst countries to live in the world as an expat:

There are only six countries that beat Britain as being one of the worst places to live in the world, according to the major benchmark Expat Insider 2019 report.

The group surveyed 20,259 expats, representing 182 nationalities and living in 187 countries or territories.

An expat is defined as an employee sent abroad on a corporate assignment or classed as a new international hire. The survey ran from 7 to 28 March. Respondents were asked to score 48 different factors — which fall into 17 subcategories — related to living abroad. Those 17 subcategories are then put into five pillars —Quality of Life, Ease of Settling In, Working Abroad, Family Life, and Personal Finance.

READ MORE: The 10 best places in the world to live as an expat

For a place to be ranked, there needs to be a sample size of at least 75 survey participants per destination. For the 2019, 64 destinations, respectively, met these requirements, although many countries or territories the sample size exceeded by 75 or even 100 participants.

Here are the bottom 10 places to live in the world as an expat.
10- S. Korea
9- Russia
8- Greece
7- UK
6- India
5- Turkey
4- Brazil
3- Nigeria
2- Italy
1- Kuwait

Kuwait was seen as the worst country to live an expat for the second consecutive year. Prior to that, it was rated last in 2014 to 2016.

Expats scored it exceptionally low across a majority of categories, such as ease of settling in and quality of life and 36% say they are unhappy with work-life balance.

Brexit helped drag Britain down the index with expats scoring Russia higher as an overall better place to live. That’s even though expats struggle with the language, hampering their ability to settle in (77%) — nearly double the global average.

A Swiss expat said “the language is too difficult to learn if you work full-time” as “you need time to learn and revise it.”

READ MORE: UK ranks as one of the worst countries to live in the world

Language issues also helped make come in second to last as the best place to live in the world. Some 67% disagree that it is easy to live there without speaking Italian, compared to two in five expats worldwide.

Half (50%) of expats in Italy said they were dissatisfied with their career prospects and 58% rated the state of the economy negatively. They also complained about the quality of life where it was rated in 49th place in the overall list. and ease of settling in 47th place

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: S. Korea 10th worst country for ex-pats
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 09:36:28 pm »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/the-10-worst-countries-to-live-in-the-world-as-an-expat-230131660.html

I'm surprised about Italy being 2nd worst. The rest make sense.

The 10 worst countries to live in the world as an expat:

There are only six countries that beat Britain as being one of the worst places to live in the world, according to the major benchmark Expat Insider 2019 report.

The group surveyed 20,259 expats, representing 182 nationalities and living in 187 countries or territories.

An expat is defined as an employee sent abroad on a corporate assignment or classed as a new international hire. The survey ran from 7 to 28 March. Respondents were asked to score 48 different factors — which fall into 17 subcategories — related to living abroad. Those 17 subcategories are then put into five pillars —Quality of Life, Ease of Settling In, Working Abroad, Family Life, and Personal Finance.

READ MORE: The 10 best places in the world to live as an expat

For a place to be ranked, there needs to be a sample size of at least 75 survey participants per destination. For the 2019, 64 destinations, respectively, met these requirements, although many countries or territories the sample size exceeded by 75 or even 100 participants.

Here are the bottom 10 places to live in the world as an expat.
10- S. Korea
9- Russia
8- Greece
7- UK
6- India
5- Turkey
4- Brazil
3- Nigeria
2- Italy
1- Kuwait

Kuwait was seen as the worst country to live an expat for the second consecutive year. Prior to that, it was rated last in 2014 to 2016.

Expats scored it exceptionally low across a majority of categories, such as ease of settling in and quality of life and 36% say they are unhappy with work-life balance.

Brexit helped drag Britain down the index with expats scoring Russia higher as an overall better place to live. That’s even though expats struggle with the language, hampering their ability to settle in (77%) — nearly double the global average.

A Swiss expat said “the language is too difficult to learn if you work full-time” as “you need time to learn and revise it.”

READ MORE: UK ranks as one of the worst countries to live in the world

Language issues also helped make come in second to last as the best place to live in the world. Some 67% disagree that it is easy to live there without speaking Italian, compared to two in five expats worldwide.

Half (50%) of expats in Italy said they were dissatisfied with their career prospects and 58% rated the state of the economy negatively. They also complained about the quality of life where it was rated in 49th place in the overall list. and ease of settling in 47th place

Bullshit survey.

Integrating responses from people with different backgrounds living in different countries with various levels of corporate and family support.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 12:08:09 am »
PSA:

Superfluous quoting hurts the readability of threads / wastes readers' time.

It's bad manners.

When responding to a post directly above you, click reply rather than quote, especially if there is a large swath of text.

If you need to quote, select just the pertinent bit rather than everything.

Thanks, JNM, TylerTheGloob, gogators!, stoat, etc.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 12:20:10 am »
PSA:

Superfluous quoting hurts the readability of threads / wastes readers' time.

It's bad manners.

When responding to a post directly above you, click reply rather than quote, especially if there is a large swath of text.

If you need to quote, select just the pertinent bit rather than everything.

Thanks, JNM, TylerTheGloob, gogators!, stoat, etc.

Nope.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 12:28:44 am »
I'm surprised about Italy

This link offers some details:

https://ftnnews.com/news-from-turkey/37716-the-10-worst-countries-for-expats-in-2019-turkey-is-the-worst-country-for-expat-families

Here's the bit about Korea:

Settling down is a real challenge for expats in South Korea: 41% find it hard (vs. 23% globally), and 37% struggle to get used to the local cultures (vs. 20% globally). What is more, South Korea dropped eleven positions in the Working Abroad Index since 2018, ranking 51st out of 64 countries in 2019. It even comes last worldwide in the Work & Leisure subcategory, with 37% of expats rating their work-life balance negatively (vs. 21% globally). In the Quality of Life Index, South Korea also experiences a significant drop, losing 14 places (23rd in 2018 to 37th in 2019). Expats are dissatisfied with the quality of the environment (69% negative ratings vs. 20% globally) — a South African expat points out the “really bad air quality” in particular — and lack socializing and leisure activities (27% unhappy vs. 19% worldwide). On the other hand, expats in South Kora are very happy with their personal safety (93% satisfied vs. 81% globally), the quality of medical care (79% vs. 65% globally), and the transportation infrastructure (97% vs. 68% globally). In terms of digital life, South Korea performs poorly (41st): getting a local phone number is a major struggle (62nd), while getting access to high-speed internet at home (4th) is no issue.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 07:46:59 am »
Can't take that list seriously if China isn't in the top 10.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 09:24:52 am »
It only ranked 64 countries.

On earth there are about 200 countries.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 04:21:04 pm »
getting a mobile phone is a major struggle?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2019, 01:02:59 am »
Easier than pie.

Seriously, it took forty minutes back in '03. I have switched phones in ten minutes flat since then.

Pie. Now, THAT is difficult. I have to travel to a major city for any kind of apple pie or cherry pie, and it is hit or miss. Difficult as hell. Pie is NOT made often here.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2019, 01:30:59 am »
“getting a local phone number is a major struggle (62nd), while getting access to high-speed internet at home (4th) is no issue.”

You can do both those things at the same place!

• stoat
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2019, 02:54:26 am »
Easier than pie.

Seriously, it took forty minutes back in '03. I have switched phones in ten minutes flat since then.

Pie. Now, THAT is difficult. I have to travel to a major city for any kind of apple pie or cherry pie, and it is hit or miss. Difficult as hell. Pie is NOT made often here.
True and no major supermarket chain stocks short crust or puff pastry for making your own.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2019, 08:04:49 am »
Supermarkets here are pretty disappointing.  I can't figure out how they arrived at the getting a phone number obstacle, though. 

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 11:04:04 am »
Make your own pies and cakes and all other delectable munchables. I did and do.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2019, 03:58:36 pm »
Make your own pies and cakes and all other delectable munchables. I did and do.
Shortening  and flour are available; as are cookie crumb shells, if you aren’t that ambitious.

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2019, 08:39:40 am »
I'm actually glad a Korea's supermarkets are disappointing. Anytime
I visit a western country I go mental in the deli section. Smoked meat,
pork pies, steak pies, rib-eyes, pate etc.

I'd be a real fat bastard with unfettered access to those things.

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 02:14:52 pm »
sounds to me like they were talking about landlines when they mention getting a local number....because no cell phone is really a "local" number.

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 03:05:34 pm »
As much as I love Korea, can't argue with the results.  My advice to anyone who asks me about moving here has always been that you need to be tolerant and it's an uphill battle due to huge cultural differences.  There's no getting around it.  If you don't have a flexible and pliable temperament, it's very difficult to adjust.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2019, 11:11:02 am »

I'm the same.  When I go home or family comes to visit me when I travel (Germany this past summer) they don't understand why I always get an apartment style place with a full kitchen and spend so much time in supermarkets.  Cold cuts, good bread and pate and I'm set for the afternoon. 

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2019, 11:17:40 am »

I'm the same.  When I go home or family comes to visit me when I travel (Germany this past summer) they don't understand why I always get an apartment style place with a full kitchen and spend so much time in supermarkets.  Cold cuts, good bread and pate and I'm set for the afternoon. 

In England, it's the cheese aisle.    :shocked:

In Alsace last year, it was just walking around a massive supermarket marvelling at the range of things.    :shocked:

I love walking around supermarkets in different countries.  :smiley:

My local Lotte Mart bores the crap out of me  >:(