Read 1045 times

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
Re: Post your fitness/training routine
« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2019, 03:18:17 pm »
yeah i get what you're saying, but surely there's some form of exercise that's fun for you, right? it seems like it's definitely not weight lifting, but what about martial arts? or any (relatively accessible) sport?

The bolded bit is the problem, haha. The lone form of physical exertion I ever well and truly enjoyed was ocean kayaking in Monterey Bay. If I could go kayaking every day, I would. Sadly, as I'm sure you could guess, that isn't really an option for me, hahaha. That's why I decided to go with exercise that I can do while distracting myself with non-exercise things. I know going 10 miles / 16km on the exercise bike every day isn't going to turn me into a fitness god, but I can do it without leaving the house (defeating one excuse I might otherwise have not to exercise), and I can watch Netflix while I do it, which makes the time fly by. It's entirely possible that some day I might decide I want to change things up a bit in variety and/or intensity, but for now it's already a small miracle that I'm exercising regularly at all.

as a side note, i think that's where a lot of people fail with fitness. they do things they don't like because they think they should. then, they end up quitting or not really putting in enough effort or becoming unhappy with how things are going.

That's why I tried to find a routine I could tolerate and am endeavoring to make a habit of it. I'm not shooting for the stars or trying to bite off more than I can chew. I'm just trying to make physical activity a part of my daily life, which is tall enough an order on its own. No sense risking turning myself off by overreaching, if that makes sense.

(even more off topic... but i think this also goes for things like studying a language or playing an instrument. learning via your own interests you, ex. learning songs in a genre you like, makes way more sense to me than just doing what you think you should be doing).

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure my Korean would be a damned sight better than it is if I could find more Korean music and TV that I actually enjoy, haha.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2019, 08:08:46 am »
The lone form of physical exertion I ever well and truly enjoyed was ocean kayaking in Monterey Bay. If I could go kayaking every day, I would. Sadly, as I'm sure you could guess, that isn't really an option for me, hahaha.

https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=36007.0
This thread is pretty old, but apparently there were (and probably still are) quite a few kayaking options in Korea, especially in Gangwondo.
  ...although, I'd be a bit skeptical of adverts claiming "white-water kayaking": I did one of those in Japan a few years back, and I swear to god, I've gone through worse rapids on an innertube and flip-flops. XD

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2019, 10:30:31 am »
Winter/ Summer: just body weight exercises at home using a free app. Gain weight in winter because my body enters hibernation mode. Lose weight in summer because skipping multiple meals is the only effective way of staying cool that I've found (outside of AC).
Spring/ Autumn: Run every other day (weather permitting) between 6-12 miles and eat whatever I want because I earnt it, dammit.

My focus is aesthetics (I'm fairly vain) but mostly mood-lifting. I literally am unable to maintain a bad mood after a long-distance run.

Supplements: all the wine.

You run 20km every other day? Bloody hell! Don't you find yourself battling or dealing with constant injury like shin splint?

A certain degree of aerobic capacity is required for sprinting (even over short distances like 100m). It's always been difficult for me to build up aerobic fitness by long distance running as the impact on my joints almost always leads to injury, which is why I rely on HIIT to build up my endurance.

My mom, who'll be 60 next year, still runs between 5-10km 3 times a week, on beach sand. I'm approaching a sub-11 100m, but I still feel like a fat kid chasing an ice-cream truck when I run anything over 5km.

How you lot are able to manage this is beyond me.
Winter/ Summer: just body weight exercises at home using a free app. Gain weight in winter because my body enters hibernation mode. Lose weight in summer because skipping multiple meals is the only effective way of staying cool that I've found (outside of AC).
Spring/ Autumn: Run every other day (weather permitting) between 6-12 miles and eat whatever I want because I earnt it, dammit.

My focus is aesthetics (I'm fairly vain) but mostly mood-lifting. I literally am unable to maintain a bad mood after a long-distance run.

Supplements: all the wine.

You run 20km every other day? Bloody hell! Don't you find yourself battling or dealing with constant injury like shin splint?

A certain degree of aerobic capacity is required for sprinting (even over short distances like 100m). It's always been difficult for me to build up aerobic fitness by long distance running as the impact on my joints almost always leads to injury, which is why I rely on HIIT to build up my endurance.

My mom, who'll be 60 next year, still runs between 5-10km 3 times a week, on beach sand. I'm approaching a sub-11 100m, but I still feel like a fat kid chasing an ice-cream truck when I run anything over 5km.

How you lot are able to manage this is beyond me.

I've only just started again this year. I did a 9 mile jog yesterday so if I'm true to my word I should go again tomorrow but it'll probably only be 6. I built up gradually over years so I think that conditioned my legs to be resistant. They're weirdly heavy and definitely in much better condition than my top half. During a high-stress stage of my masters degree I was running a half-marathon every other day for about 2 weeks and did end up messing up my left ankle for a while.  I suspect that genetically I'm not just not made for explosive activity or muscle building so these days I just stick to what I'm good at.

Good on your mom; that's how I wanna be at that age. I feel like slender man with a paunch whenever I try and lift weights so, running it is.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2019, 11:59:00 am »
Who
Training: I drink beer

Exercise: I walk to the fridge to get beer.

Just had a complete physical for work including bloodwork etc etc, everything fell within normal healthy parameters for a guy my age.

Relax....you only live once, why waste time in a gym? I just don't get it.

Drinking makes you happy, becoming more athletic makes me happy.

From my perspective, spending my limited time rotting on a couch would be the waste of time and I just don't get. 

Who's rotting on a couch? I'm outside all the time, I live in the tropics. I also read and write. I have a couple of big dogs that I walk twice a day and watch them chase chickens, goats, cows, other dogs, the occasional cat...I used to see a good dog fight every now and then but my rottie and dobie have chewed up the local mutts so they all go running now.  Life in the tropical countryside isn't quite like big city downtown. I couldn't handle rotting away in a city and lifting pieces of iron into the air. That's wacky. 

You're the one who listed going to the fridge to get beer as your training so don't blame me for simply going off what you wrote.
While walking is exercise, watching your dogs run around isn't, neither is watching your dog kill other dogs... that's actually pretty despicable and barbaric, you shouldn't have anything to do with animals.

This is a thread about training, in Korea, for people who're interested in it.

I don't drink, which is why you won't find me on threads dedicated to brewing trying to annoy everyone by lecturing how terrible I think alcohol is. You're not in Korea either.

Go start a thread about dog fights and drinking beer on a forum dedicated to expats in whatever country you're in and I promise not to bother you. Deal?

watching your dog kill other dogs.

Critical reading not your forte I gather. Where did I say my dogs killed other dogs? Dogs fight, it's what they do to establish dominance in a hierarchical system. No different than people or countries.

And walking is exercise. 

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2019, 01:08:13 pm »
Who

Just had a complete physical for work including bloodwork etc etc, everything fell within normal healthy parameters for a guy my age.

From my perspective, spending my limited time rotting on a couch would be the waste of time and I just don't get. 

Who's rotting on a couch? I'm outside all the time, I live in the tropics. I also read and write. I have a couple of big dogs that I walk twice a day and watch them chase chickens, goats, cows, other dogs, the occasional cat...I used to see a good dog fight every now and then but my rottie and dobie have chewed up the local mutts so they all go running now.  Life in the tropical countryside isn't quite like big city downtown. I couldn't handle rotting away in a city and lifting pieces of iron into the air. That's wacky. 

You're the one who listed going to the fridge to get beer as your training so don't blame me for simply going off what you wrote.
While walking is exercise, watching your dogs run around isn't, neither is watching your dog kill other dogs... that's actually pretty despicable and barbaric, you shouldn't have anything to do with animals.

I don't drink, which is why you won't find me on threads dedicated to brewing trying to annoy everyone by lecturing how terrible I think alcohol is. You're not in Korea either.

Go start a thread about dog fights and drinking beer on a forum dedicated to expats in whatever country you're in and I promise not to bother you. Deal?

Critical reading not your forte I gather. Where did I say my dogs killed other dogs? Dogs fight, it's what they do to establish dominance in a hierarchical system. No different than people or countries.

And walking is exercise. 

Don't try to sidestep, you like watching dogs fight.

Dogs fight to assert dominance, IN THE WILD. Why? Dogs hunt in packs to survive, the fight to establish the hierarchy from the alpha and down. It's done to figure out who does what during a hunt and the responsibilities in the pack.
Your dogs:

- Do not rely on hunting to survive
- Are not part of a wild pack
- live in a closed ecosystem
- ARE NOT WILD ANIMALS

By siccing your dogs on other animals, you're simply getting your own sadistic and childish rocks off. Yes, by not keeping your dogs in a contained enclosure and on a leash, YOU are responsible for whatever or whoever your dog injures or kills.
Ultimately, you could've just said "I walk my dogs twice a day"... nobody asked you to elaborate on what you dogs killed and... I don't follow how:

- living in the tropics
- reading and writing
- what your dogs chase, kill or do

Has anything to do with training. You live in the countryside, great... nobody asked or cares.
Your post is an illustration of irrelevance and stupidity.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2019, 09:46:28 am »
Who

And walking is exercise. 

Don't try to sidestep, you like watching dogs fight.

Dogs fight to assert dominance, IN THE WILD. Why? Dogs hunt in packs to survive, the fight to establish the hierarchy from the alpha and down. It's done to figure out who does what during a hunt and the responsibilities in the pack.
Your dogs:

- Do not rely on hunting to survive
- Are not part of a wild pack
- live in a closed ecosystem
- ARE NOT WILD ANIMALS

By siccing your dogs on other animals, you're simply getting your own sadistic and childish rocks off. Yes, by not keeping your dogs in a contained enclosure and on a leash, YOU are responsible for whatever or whoever your dog injures or kills.
Ultimately, you could've just said "I walk my dogs twice a day"... nobody asked you to elaborate on what you dogs killed and... I don't follow how:

- living in the tropics
- reading and writing
- what your dogs chase, kill or do

Has anything to do with training. You live in the countryside, great... nobody asked or cares.
Your post is an illustration of irrelevance and stupidity.

You missed your calling, you should have been an empath or a comedian.

However, it is just as well because you are wrong on every count. You are funny though, at least to me. Not funny ha-ha...more funny like wow, can a human really be that obtuse. Can a person really read something and be that far off the mark. That's funny, as in strange.

Laughing is exercise. I laughed loud and long reading your response. Thank you for spotting me.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 09:48:15 am by LIC »