Read 1858 times

Re: Post your fitness/training routine
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 10:11:38 am »
Each day:
Walk 10-15,000 steps at a brisk pace (basically to and from work rain or shine)
100-150 push ups
Apartment stair run 15 levels at maximum effort, twice

That stair run is some serious cardio.  Legs like jelly by the end I guess!

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 10:26:14 am »
8. I don't teach sitting down. I am always moving about the room, the energy kinetic not static.
YOU CAN DO THIS??!?!?!? ...i've been missing out... :P

errr no rigourous (sp??) exercising, no dieting.
honestly, i find that for me it does more bad than it does good  -___-;

so now i just eat whatever i want and walking to the bus stop is my "exercise" (I dont have a car!)
i will say though that i dont eat beef/pork/chicken, rarely eat out b/c im a cheap mofo, don't drink at all, and mainly stick to korean food so basically i just eat rice all day. harharhar

but im also a woman so......maybe if i were a dude i wouldnt be so chillaxed about this stuff. i know my brother prioritizes exercise and diet regime and he's been fit all his life. i'm just a limp noodle*

*if u get that reference...we should be best friends.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2019, 10:31:10 am »
That stair run is some serious cardio.  Legs like jelly by the end I guess!
Yeah, my "maximum effort" is often crawling and collapsing into a heap by the time I get to the top.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2019, 10:38:35 am »
He's got the same attitude towards Islam. Any criticism of it just means you don't understand it.  :rolleyes:

What the hell is wrong with you?

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2019, 11:08:29 am »
Training: I drink beer

Exercise: I walk to the fridge to get beer.

Just had a complete physical for work including bloodwork etc etc, everything fell within normal healthy parameters for a guy my age.

Relax....you only live once, why waste time in a gym? I just don't get it.

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 11:13:44 am »
I got a personal trainer about six months ago. Best 500,000 won I spent . I've never liked/understood working out but for vanity's sake I wanted to look better without clothes. Now I go to the gym about 3 times a week and I walk from (about 45 mins) everyday. I started out for vain reasons  but I go now for my mental health. It's such a stress relief to work out. I can't believe I look forward to going to the gym now haha. Also, my walks are nice way to decompress after work. 

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2019, 11:38:17 am »
Not trying to sound sanctimonious, but

Never the best way to start out, hahaha.

it's ALL mental and the way you're approaching it means it's unlikely you'll maintain any sort of regime.

This is not news to me. Like I said, I was in the military. I've heard more cliches about what percentage is mental than you can shake a stick at. That's why my primary goal now is just making exercise a part of my daily routine. I'm a man of habit, so I need to make setting time aside for exercise every day one of those habits. That's what I'm working on now.

Yes, lifting weights or other types of resistance training can be painful and tedious but the process is also exhilarating and satisfying.

I promise you, it isn't. It just isn't. I understand that some people really enjoy it, but it just does nothing for me. It's cool that you enjoy it, but try not to assume that everyone else will just because you do. To run with your musical instrument comparison, I don't assume that just because I enjoy listening to brutal death metal, surely everyone else who plays guitar will, too, if they just listen to it for long enough. I've tried the weightlifting thing in the past, both during and briefly after my time in the military, and I didn't enjoy it at all.

I, and the vast majority of others, would probably not lift weights if we hated it and simply did it as a means to an end. I promise you, the process itself DOES become enjoyable.

And I promise you, it doesn't.

As robin_teacher implied, it lifts your mood and that's entirely correct. When doing high resistance training, you learn to 'zone out'; your mind takes a mini vacation from the stress of day-to-day life and when you're done, you're tired and sore, but feel immense satisfaction and accomplishment.

Not for me, it doesn't.

Don't approach this journey with a negative mindset.

I approach everything with a negative mindset. Telling me that is like telling someone who's depressed "Don't be sad."

If you can get through the tedious and laborious task of mastering a stringed instrument, you've all the discipline in the world to start a training routine and stick with it.

The disconnect there is that I actually enjoy playing a stringed instrument, so that's kinda like saying "You stuck with a laborious thing that you enjoy, so you can definitely stick with a tedious thing that you hate!" It doesn't quite add up.

I understand that you're trying to be supportive and give advice, so I hope I'm not coming off as too combative. I've just been down this road before where I talk about fitness and then get talked down to by people who are super into it and assume I've never done a pushup in my life, haha.

Agree to disagree then. Years of being on both sides of the fence (was a terribly skinny and frail teenager) has taught me that there are only 2 types of people; those who understand how to train and those who don't... just my opinion though.

Usually, I wouldn't stick my nose into your business, but this is a thread about fitness and once you participate in it, you've put your chips on the table and everything here is open for discussion and critique.

We both enjoy playing guitar, but I'm sure you'll agree that at times, practice can be particularly tedious and boring (working on technique, scales, arpeggios, trying to nail a riff be repeating it over and over and over, till your brain turns to mush). Guitar practice can be boring, but we soldier through it.

Do whatever you think is best, cheers.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2019, 11:42:58 am »

Just had a complete physical for work including bloodwork etc etc, everything fell within normal healthy parameters for a guy my age.

Drinking makes you happy, becoming more athletic makes me happy.

From my perspective, spending my limited time rotting on a couch would be the waste of time and I just don't get. 

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2019, 11:57:23 am »
I don't feel comfortable in gyms, but I used to do Shotokan 4 days a week which can be pretty decent exercise. When I came to Korea, switched over to TKD for a few years, but then the only decent club within 40 minutes of my home closed, so had to give that up.  :sad:

I run 5km 4 days a week (before school), and do a 10km once a week. I pretend to study Korean with Pimsleur while I run, but really I'm usually just daydreaming of still being in bed and asleep. Luckily I have a completely deserted river path to run along, so I don't have to actually be awake and alert for cars, cyclists or anything!

I don't teach sitting down. I am always moving about the room, the energy kinetic not static.
:huh:
I don't think I've ever had a class where the teacher taught sitting down. It'd be pretty hard to control the young 'uns hiding behind a desk all class!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2019, 11:59:27 am »
I don't feel comfortable in gyms, but I used to do Shotokan 4 days a week which can be pretty decent exercise. When I came to Korea, switched over to TKD for a few years, but then the only decent club within 40 minutes of my home closed, so had to give that up.  :sad:

I run 5km 4 days a week (before school), and do a 10km once a week. I pretend to study Korean with Pimsleur while I run, but really I'm usually just daydreaming of still being in bed and asleep. Luckily I have a completely deserted river path to run along, so I don't have to actually be awake and alert for cars, cyclists or anything!

I don't teach sitting down. I am always moving about the room, the energy kinetic not static.
:huh:
I don't think I've ever had a class where the teacher taught sitting down. It'd be pretty hard to control the young 'uns hiding behind a desk all class!

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2019, 01:01:06 pm »
Who

From my perspective, spending my limited time rotting on a couch would be the waste of time and I just don't get. 

Who's rotting on a couch? I'm outside all the time, I live in the tropics. I also read and write. I have a couple of big dogs that I walk twice a day and watch them chase chickens, goats, cows, other dogs, the occasional cat...I used to see a good dog fight every now and then but my rottie and dobie have chewed up the local mutts so they all go running now.  Life in the tropical countryside isn't quite like big city downtown. I couldn't handle rotting away in a city and lifting pieces of iron into the air. That's wacky. 

« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2019, 01:13:54 pm »

I couldn't handle rotting away in a city and lifting pieces of iron into the air. That's wacky. 

who is rotting away in the city? lifting pieces of iron in the air is super fun. people have been doing it for a long time. no need to knock it

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2019, 01:27:47 pm »
I couldn't handle rotting away in a city and lifting pieces of iron into the air. That's wacky. 
yes, living in a city and going to the gym sure is crazy

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2019, 01:53:38 pm »
So L I C doesn't live in Korea? Then why do you complain so much about the salaries in Korea etc? Are you that old guy who used to post here who lived in Laos or something?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2019, 01:55:55 pm »
So L I C doesn't live in Korea? Then why do you complain so much about the salaries in Korea etc? Are you that old guy who used to post here who lived in Laos or something?

Who says I don't live in Korea?

• T.J.
  • Veteran

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2019, 02:01:26 pm »

You.

Who's rotting on a couch? I'm outside all the time, I live in the tropics.

Who says I don't live in Korea?
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2019, 02:07:42 pm »
Who

Who's rotting on a couch? I'm outside all the time, I live in the tropics. I also read and write. I have a couple of big dogs that I walk twice a day and watch them chase chickens, goats, cows, other dogs, the occasional cat...I used to see a good dog fight every now and then but my rottie and dobie have chewed up the local mutts so they all go running now.  Life in the tropical countryside isn't quite like big city downtown. I couldn't handle rotting away in a city and lifting pieces of iron into the air. That's wacky. 

You're the one who listed going to the fridge to get beer as your training so don't blame me for simply going off what you wrote.
While walking is exercise, watching your dogs run around isn't, neither is watching your dog kill other dogs... that's actually pretty despicable and barbaric, you shouldn't have anything to do with animals.

This is a thread about training, in Korea, for people who're interested in it.

I don't drink, which is why you won't find me on threads dedicated to brewing trying to annoy everyone by lecturing how terrible I think alcohol is. You're not in Korea either.

Go start a thread about dog fights and drinking beer on a forum dedicated to expats in whatever country you're in and I promise not to bother you. Deal?

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2019, 02:23:16 pm »
Agree to disagree then. Years of being on both sides of the fence (was a terribly skinny and frail teenager) has taught me that there are only 2 types of people; those who understand how to train and those who don't... just my opinion though.

I think this is the crux of why we aren't seeing eye to eye here. You're assuming that the reason I don't enjoy exercising is that I don't know how to train, and that if I did, I would enjoy it. I don't really know what more I can say to help you see where I'm coming from. I realize I'm beating a dead horse, but I was in the military. I've trained, I've been fit, and I've maintained said fitness with sustained training. I wasn't just doing random exercises or training improperly, or whatever someone might be imagining when someone says they don't enjoy it. Even at my most fit, when my PT sessions were lead by a SEAL, I never got that sense of euphoria after a hard workout that I've heard so much about. It wasn't a lack of understanding, I just didn't enjoy doing it.

In keeping with the music comparison, you can fully understand music theory and use that understanding to analyze a Miley Cyrus song. You can use your abilities to learn how to play that song. You can know the song inside out and backwards. Would that understanding lead to you enjoying it? I might be being presumptuous, but I would assume no. I think understanding doesn't necessarily lead to enjoyment.

Usually, I wouldn't stick my nose into your business, but this is a thread about fitness and once you participate in it, you've put your chips on the table and everything here is open for discussion and critique.

Oh, I'm not trying to say you can't give me your thoughts on what I said in here or anything. I do understand how public discussion forums work, haha. You're welcome to your opinion, and I'm not opposed to hearing something that doesn't line up with how I currently view things. I was trying to clarify where I was coming from because it doesn't seem we're on the same page there.

We both enjoy playing guitar, but I'm sure you'll agree that at times, practice can be particularly tedious and boring (working on technique, scales, arpeggios, trying to nail a riff be repeating it over and over and over, till your brain turns to mush). Guitar practice can be boring, but we soldier through it.

There is a key difference between music and exercise to me, and I think it does a good job clarifying where I'm coming from. With music, I enjoy the slog. I can have fun with it. If I'm struggling with a part, I can always just play something I enjoy more, and come back to the other part later. Practice is a means to an end, but making music can be the means and the end. Something like weight training, on the other hand, is only a means to an end to me. I don't enjoy the process. It isn't something I'd do just for the pleasure of it, like I would playing an instrument. I hope that makes some sort of sense. It does in my head, haha.

Do whatever you think is best, cheers.

I'll try, haha. Believe me, if I'm ever ready to diversify or feel like I'm not getting what I need from my routine, I won't hesitate to ask those who are more into it than I am. For now, I'm just satisfied that I've managed to exercise every day for over two months, even if my routine pales in comparison you you guys' training regimens, haha.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2019, 02:39:20 pm »
1. I carry groceries home in a box instead of bag. (No, I don't take my jeep the two blocks to the supermarket unless bad weather dictates it.)
2. I clean the apartment top to bottom with vigorous scrubbing, on my knees with a cloth, no mop.
3. I curiously climb most hills i come across, wondering about the view at the top and of the other side.
4. I never take a taxi unless i am hurt or the temp is over 30 C.
5. I take the stairs two at a time instead of the elevator, as a matter of principle, based on a scientific study i'd read way back when about the death rates of elevator hounds.
6. I stretch every morning and every night. Not yoga, just body aware muscle and ligament loosening.
7. I enjoy 2-3 hour walks once a weekend. I started it back in '06 and loved it so much it's literally part of my weekend (with queued up tunes!). Just walk.
8. I don't teach sitting down. I am always moving about the room, the energy kinetic not static.
9. I crawl around the apartment on my hands and knees, playing with my 6-year-old cats.
10. I don't like to sit. Chairs make hemorrhoids. The human body was made to MOVE and lounge, lie down. Go!

I’m much the same.
I enjoy cycling as well - used to do 20 km a couple times a week along the Hangang trails (and this past summer, Harbour Passage in Saint John, NB).

Summer 2018 was too hot for me. I would come home from work, sit in front of my a/c and order in supper.

By fall, I knew that I needed to increase my activity level, so I hired a trainer for two 1 on 1 sessions a week that fall. (Coady Hunter... he’s returned to NZ now.)

It was a CrossFit-ish routine. I get vertigo, so things like burpees or shuttle-runs don’t work for me.

Rowing machine and dumbbells are the core bits of equipment for me.

My wife did CrossFit at the same gym right after me. She came in one morning and saw us “playing catch” and questioned my decision to pay xxxxxx won/hour to do that - until she realized it was a medicine ball and we were each standing on one foot. :)

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2019, 02:51:23 pm »
With music, I enjoy the slog. I can have fun with it. If I'm struggling with a part, I can always just play something I enjoy more, and come back to the other part later. Practice is a means to an end, but making music can be the means and the end. Something like weight training, on the other hand, is only a means to an end to me.

yeah i get what you're saying, but surely there's some form of exercise that's fun for you, right? it seems like it's definitely not weight lifting, but what about martial arts? or any (relatively accessible) sport?

as a side note, i think that's where a lot of people fail with fitness. they do things they don't like because they think they should. then, they end up quitting or not really putting in enough effort or becoming unhappy with how things are going. that was definitely me for a while. my advice for anyone would be to just find what you like and do that. i would be super, super surprised to hear that anyone hates any and every form of exercise.

(even more off topic... but i think this also goes for things like studying a language or playing an instrument. learning via your own interests you, ex. learning songs in a genre you like, makes way more sense to me than just doing what you think you should be doing).