Read 1859 times

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
Post your fitness/training routine
« on: September 05, 2019, 11:04:00 am »
While fitness and athleticism have always been important to me, I'd say it becomes absolutely essential for an expat.

Mine varies throughout the year depending on factors like injury, weather biomechanics etc.

Goals:

- improve my 60m and 100m times
 - maintain and improve performance and fitness levels for surfing
 - aesthetics

September was supposed to be track work but 2 weeks of rain forecast means I'm stuck in the gym, so I'll delay the track
work for next month.

September focus (strengthen glute meds, reactive plyo, overall explosiveness)

- Power cleans
- Pull ups
- Bench press
- Reactive box jumps (breadth and height)
- Resistance leg band exercises
- Core Strengthening

October (final month of track work till next spring)

-  Wicket drills
- Reactive plyo
- Flexibility
- 60m & 100m PB attempts

Supplements:

Creatine, Beta-Alanine and Whey.

Re: Post your fitness/training routine
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 11:25:00 am »
Winter/ Summer: just body weight exercises at home using a free app. Gain weight in winter because my body enters hibernation mode. Lose weight in summer because skipping multiple meals is the only effective way of staying cool that I've found (outside of AC).
Spring/ Autumn: Run every other day (weather permitting) between 6-12 miles and eat whatever I want because I earnt it, dammit.

My focus is aesthetics (I'm fairly vain) but mostly mood-lifting. I literally am unable to maintain a bad mood after a long-distance run.

Supplements: all the wine.

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 12:43:08 pm »
in the past, i've mostly done martial arts related things (muay thai, sanda, taekwondo, boxing) to stay ""fit"". Since coming to Korea, I decided to give weightlifting another go.

my main goals are strength related, because i'm still quite weak (even though chester jim once called me a beefcake):
-2 plate squat (i struggle a lot with this exercise)
-bodyweight bench
-3 plate deadlift
-1 plate overhead press

challenges:
-getting calories
-getting protein
-preventing (more) injuries

i've been on gzclp for about a month and it's been going great. every day looks like this:
T1 lift: 5x3
T2 lift(s) 3x10
T3 lift(s) 3x15.

T1 and T2 are s/b/d/ohp but alternating. so if it's T1 squat day, then T2 is bench. T3 is accessories and (for me) lots of pulling. every week, i can do the big lifts 2x (which i like), but also practice varying intensities. i just gotta eat more...

supplements:
too much chicken breast

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 01:06:01 pm »
Winter/ Summer: just body weight exercises at home using a free app. Gain weight in winter because my body enters hibernation mode. Lose weight in summer because skipping multiple meals is the only effective way of staying cool that I've found (outside of AC).
Spring/ Autumn: Run every other day (weather permitting) between 6-12 miles and eat whatever I want because I earnt it, dammit.

My focus is aesthetics (I'm fairly vain) but mostly mood-lifting. I literally am unable to maintain a bad mood after a long-distance run.

Supplements: all the wine.

You run 20km every other day? Bloody hell! Don't you find yourself battling or dealing with constant injury like shin splint?

A certain degree of aerobic capacity is required for sprinting (even over short distances like 100m). It's always been difficult for me to build up aerobic fitness by long distance running as the impact on my joints almost always leads to injury, which is why I rely on HIIT to build up my endurance.

My mom, who'll be 60 next year, still runs between 5-10km 3 times a week, on beach sand. I'm approaching a sub-11 100m, but I still feel like a fat kid chasing an ice-cream truck when I run anything over 5km.

How you lot are able to manage this is beyond me.

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2019, 01:08:41 pm »
My goal has always been to stay fit and healthy. I like being spry, and I want to stay that way.

Basically want to be like these  women.

Aesthetics isn't a goal, but it's a graciously accepted gigantic bonus.

I take the same supplements as OP, but I also use powdered collagen (really doing this for my skin, but I've gotten boosts to my hair, nails and I'm assuming ligaments, too), and joint supplements (just trying to help with all of the high impact stuff I do).

At the gym, I start off with cardio, usually jogging or cycling. I do that for about 30 minutes before moving on to weights. I alternate between muscle strengthening and muscle stamina every two or three weeks. When it's muscle strength, I workout upper and lower body on different days, but I do full body when focusing on muscle stamina. I finish every workout with about ten minutes of core exercises, then spend a lot of time just stretching.

In between gym days, I do body weight exercises, but during the winter and my vacation periods I'll also do Insanity or P90x type workouts (I generally avoid this during the summer and spring periods because I won't do it outside and I don't want to bother my neighbors).

I've been wanting to get into yoga to do in the mornings or between gym days, too, but I'm still new to the idea and haven't found vid instructions that I like or can take seriously, yet.

Most early mornings, I tend to go on a one hour walk before heading off to work. Sometimes this turns into a jog. When not strapped to my work, I go on long walks or hikes after work, too. I enjoy it, but it helps to improve my performance in the gym in general.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 01:13:35 pm by Chinguetti »

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2019, 01:15:06 pm »
in the past, i've mostly done martial arts related things (muay thai, sanda, taekwondo, boxing) to stay ""fit"". Since coming to Korea, I decided to give weightlifting another go.

my main goals are strength related, because i'm still quite weak (even though chester jim once called me a beefcake):
-2 plate squat (i struggle a lot with this exercise)
-bodyweight bench
-3 plate deadlift
-1 plate overhead press

challenges:
-getting calories
-getting protein
-preventing (more) injuries

i've been on gzclp for about a month and it's been going great. every day looks like this:
T1 lift: 5x3
T2 lift(s) 3x10
T3 lift(s) 3x15.

T1 and T2 are s/b/d/ohp but alternating. so if it's T1 squat day, then T2 is bench. T3 is accessories and (for me) lots of pulling. every week, i can do the big lifts 2x (which i like), but also practice varying intensities. i just gotta eat more...

supplements:
too much chicken breast

Don't feel bad.
I've concluded that when it comes to squat and bench press... especially bench press, strength isn't really determined by how much you can lift relative to your BW.
I've been told I have super wide shoulders and quite a prominent chest, but a BW bench press is something I can only do on a good day. Meanwhile, guys who seem far less physically impressive can match or kill me on the bench.

My limbs are pretty long so the distance I have to move the barbell is significantly greater meaning it's much more difficult for me to lift the same amount of weight as the stockier guy.

If you need to get those calories, blend, brother!
Peanut butter, oats, whey, bananas, milk and... blend.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 01:19:48 pm »
My goal has always been to stay fit and healthy. I like being spry, and I want to stay that way.

Basically want to be like these  women.

Aesthetics isn't a goal, but it's a graciously accepted gigantic bonus.

I take the same supplements as OP, but I also use powdered collagen (really doing this for my skin, but I've gotten boosts to my hair, nails and I'm assuming ligaments, too), and joint supplements (just trying to help with all of the high impact stuff I do).

At the gym, I start off with cardio, usually jogging or cycling. I do that for about 30 minutes before moving on to weights. I alternate between muscle strengthening and muscle stamina every two or three weeks. When it's muscle strength, I workout upper and lower body on different days, but I do full body when focusing on muscle stamina. I finish every workout with about ten minutes of core exercises, then spend a lot of time just stretching.

In between gym days, I do body weight exercises, but during the winter and my vacation periods I'll also do Insanity or P90x type workouts (I generally avoid this during the summer and spring periods because I won't do it outside and I don't want to bother my neighbors).

I've been wanting to get into yoga to do in the mornings or between gym days, too, but I'm still new to the idea and haven't found vid instructions that I like or can take seriously, yet.

Most early mornings, I tend to go on a one hour walk before heading off to work. Sometimes this turns into a jog. When not strapped to my work, I go on long walks or hikes after work, too. I enjoy it, but it helps to improve my performance in the gym in general.

I took collagen to, to help with my ankle injury. I should probably take it again but, MAN! does it taste like ass!

To me, yoga is pretty much glorified stretching, but this routine works quite well for off days post workout if I'm not feeling lazy.
It's 20min, no spiritual nonsense, no equipment and focuses on full body flexibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPKRiU9u_Hc&t=1s

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 01:33:32 pm »
I took collagen to, to help with my ankle injury. I should probably take it again but, MAN! does it taste like ass!

To me, yoga is pretty much glorified stretching, but this routine works quite well for off days post workout if I'm not feeling lazy.
It's 20min, no spiritual nonsense, no equipment and focuses on full body flexibility.

Not sure how you've taken collagen in the past, but I add it to my fruit smoothies or to some juice. I honestly don't even taste it anymore.

And thanks for the vid, I'll take a look at it once I'm home.

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 02:05:06 pm »
Never been so interested in heavy weights, but due to shoulder problems, it's pretty much been cut out of my routine.  I've dislocated my left shoulder three times, the last time six years ago when I got a SLAP tear.  But during the rehab, my shoulder froze in such a way that it 'stabilised' my shoulder, negating the tear.  All I've lost is my external rotation. 

Went to see the LG Twins field doctor at Seoul Uni Hospital in Bundang and he said, unfreezing will destabilise my shoulder and to fix the tear will be a lengthy rehab.  So I decided just to live with it.  Problem is, any weight training can pull my scapula and shoulder around causing a lot of discomfort that medication doesn't really fix.  So I can't really bench press, or other things that might make the muscles unequal and pull my scapula around.  Pain in the ass. 

Generally, I like to get out of breath as quick as possible when I exercise.  So if I go on the running machine, I'll do a kilometre on 16km/s and then 4 kms on 14km/s.  I usually get that burn out of the way first and then I'm ready for anything.  It's the same when I play football, get the initial burn out of the way and I'll run the whole game no probs.  Like Robin Teacher also, when I had a crap job in elementary, I used to hit the running hard straight after school and it just clears any annoyances out of my head.

As for stretching, I like to focus on IT band stretching.  Like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuRhjYqOjz0

As I hike a lot, it takes a bit of a toll on my knees, so I try and keep my IT band exercises up. 

I hate to have a day where I don't do something active.  If it's too polluted I'll hit the gym, if it's clear I'll go hiking.  These days, I'm playing a lot of football after school.  So basically, every day I'll do something. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:13:47 pm by Ronnie Omelettes »

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 02:05:33 pm »
I had never exercised before coming to Korea, and I was pretty overweight when I first got here. Luckily, one of my friends in my first year had worked as a personal trainer back home, and he was a hardcore gym-goer. He graciously came with me on the first few trips to the gym that was next to my house and showed me the basics and broke down the initial intimidation barrier.

After that, I went to the gym super regularly for a few years, doing lots of cardio and free weights, but never following any routine other than the one I made for myself. I got in pretty decent shape and lost almost all my visible fat, which was amazing. Then I had a couple years where I wasn't having a very good time, and I stopped exercising completely, and got soft again. Only in the last year and a half have I been actively exercising and trying to reverse all effects of a few years of neglect.

Anyways, waygook.org user Aristocrat originally asked what people's routines were.

I go to the gym three or four times per week for only about 50-60 minutes each time.
A typical workout for me consists of some combination of squats, lunges, dumbbell row and press, deadlifts, various cable machine, some leg press, core exercises, and that's about it.
I've never followed a set workout regimen, mostly because I don't know anything about the science of working out or exercise. It's all kind of confusing, and I don't personally know anyone who exercises that I could talk to about it. And there's only so much you can learn online. So, I just keep doing my thing on the assumption that amateur, uneducated exercise is better than no exercise at all.
Never taken any supplements or anything - I usually eat some tomatoes and a block of tofu after the gym, or some pork tenderloin and lettuce.

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 02:16:31 pm »
If you need to get those calories, blend, brother!
Peanut butter, oats, whey, bananas, milk and... blend.

true. i should probably buy a blender. i love all of those ingredients and usually have them (in oatmeal)... but it's so filling. also being lactose intolerant really doesn't help...

Never been so interested in heavy weights, but due to shoulder problems, it's pretty much been cut out of my routine.
Went to see the LG Twins field doctor at Seoul Uni Hospital in Bundang and he said, unfreezing will destabilise my shoulder and to fix the tear will be a lengthy rehab.  So I decided just to live with it.  Problem is, any weight training can pull my scapula and shoulder around causing a lot of discomfort that medication doesn't really fix.  So I can't really bench press, or other things that might make the muscles unequal and pull my scapula around.

this terrifies me. i hurt my shoulder sorta bad a few months ago. couldn't move it at all without pain for about a week. i eventually got an x-ray and the doctor said there's definitely some impingement and possibly bicep tendinitis too, so i took a few weeks off from shoulder stuff. one of my friends is in PT school so he helped me with some rehab/prehab exercises. it's been mostly fine since, but your post just convinced me to start doing the prehab stuff again..

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 02:23:15 pm »
I'd say exercising is my life pretty much.  If I don't do it then I start feeling fidgety!

I lift weights four to five days a week.  Luckily I can do it at home with just dumbbells and a bench because gyms here are a no go for me.  Then I go to the park every Saturday morning to do pullups or chinups (usually weighted).  I incorporate some body weight exercises for variety depending on how I feel.  I never do cardio because I think lifting weights intensively is enough.

Goals:  I don't care at all about strength, only aesthetics so I'm happy with free weights.

Diet:  I've learned that this is the hardest thing to get right.  Building muscle naturally is insanely difficult and you have to eat, eat, eat.  The biggest mistake I made when I was first starting out was not eating enough food in general (let alone protein).  I eat chicken breasts, lots of tuna, almonds, brown rice, vegetables.  Cheat on Friday nights.  Still don't think I eat enough though.

Supplements:  Whey Protein.  I tried Creatine a couple of times but it made my hair fall out faster than it already is and gave me some trouble with my prostate so I stopped that pretty quickly.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 03:23:04 pm »
I hate exercising. I pretty much always have. It's not a "you're just lazy and never tried it!" thing, either. I was in the US military for 5 years, I'm familiar with exercising regularly and staying in shape. Exercising voluntarily has just never been my thing. It's tedious and dull, and the short-term benefits aren't really enough to keep me interested.

HOWEVER.

My father's been having some serious health problems the past couple years, and seeing that has motivated me a bit. Like me, he's ex-military, and like me, he completely stopped exercising as soon as he reentered the civilian world. I got out over a decade ago, so obviously I've let myself go. I don't need a mobility scooter or anything, buy I can see myself having the same problems my dad's having if I don't make at least some sort of perfunctory effort to exercise regularly.

Because I hate exercising, I don't see myself becoming a gym rat or anything. That sort of thing has zero appeal to me, and I know I wouldn't be able to force myself to stick with it. What I need is something simple, convenient, and entertaining. To cover all those bases, I got an exercise bike for my apartment, so I can exercise every day without having to leave the house, and I can watch netflix on my tablet while I do it, which seems to keep me distracted well enough. I started towards the end of June, and made it a goal to get my heart rate up to around 125 and keep it there for 45 minutes every day. As a result, every day for a little over two months now, I've "biked" 10 miles (and watched a ton of anime, hahaha). I also cut most of the snack/junk food I'd been eating, and replaced my evening ramen with an evening salad.

Yes, I know there are more effective ways to lose weight. I know there are quicker ways to lose weight. I know I won't get ripped or anything. I don't really care, though. My main goal is just to make physical activity a regular part of my daily routine, and hopefully slowly become a bit less of a fatass. So far I think I might have accomplished the "make it part of my routine" thing, and though I don't think I've lose much weight just yet, I've at least noticed an improvement in my circulation.

Baby steps.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 04:06:17 pm by Mister Tim »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 01:11:16 am »
1. I carry groceries home in a box instead of bag. (No, I don't take my jeep the two blocks to the supermarket unless bad weather dictates it.)
2. I clean the apartment top to bottom with vigorous scrubbing, on my knees with a cloth, no mop.
3. I curiously climb most hills i come across, wondering about the view at the top and of the other side.
4. I never take a taxi unless i am hurt or the temp is over 30 C.
5. I take the stairs two at a time instead of the elevator, as a matter of principle, based on a scientific study i'd read way back when about the death rates of elevator hounds.
6. I stretch every morning and every night. Not yoga, just body aware muscle and ligament loosening.
7. I enjoy 2-3 hour walks once a weekend. I started it back in '06 and loved it so much it's literally part of my weekend (with queued up tunes!). Just walk.
8. I don't teach sitting down. I am always moving about the room, the energy kinetic not static.
9. I crawl around the apartment on my hands and knees, playing with my 6-year-old cats.
10. I don't like to sit. Chairs make hemorrhoids. The human body was made to MOVE and lounge, lie down. Go!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 01:13:00 am by VanIslander »

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 07:49:02 am »
this terrifies me. i hurt my shoulder sorta bad a few months ago. couldn't move it at all without pain for about a week. i eventually got an x-ray and the doctor said there's definitely some impingement and possibly bicep tendinitis too, so i took a few weeks off from shoulder stuff. one of my friends is in PT school so he helped me with some rehab/prehab exercises. it's been mostly fine since, but your post just convinced me to start doing the prehab stuff again..

That's the thing, as I've been told by numerous orthopaedic doctors, that the shoulder joint is the most complex joint because of its range of motion.  When something goes wrong, it can be difficult to pinpoint the problem exactly and it takes time and effort to fix.  Using a 'Theraband' to strengthen the rotator cuff is always top of the list, but I suppose it's just making time to do it everyday. 

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 07:58:16 am »
I hate exercising. I pretty much always have. It's not a "you're just lazy and never tried it!" thing, either. I was in the US military for 5 years, I'm familiar with exercising regularly and staying in shape. Exercising voluntarily has just never been my thing. It's tedious and dull, and the short-term benefits aren't really enough to keep me interested.

HOWEVER.

My father's been having some serious health problems the past couple years, and seeing that has motivated me a bit. Like me, he's ex-military, and like me, he completely stopped exercising as soon as he reentered the civilian world. I got out over a decade ago, so obviously I've let myself go. I don't need a mobility scooter or anything, buy I can see myself having the same problems my dad's having if I don't make at least some sort of perfunctory effort to exercise regularly.

Because I hate exercising, I don't see myself becoming a gym rat or anything. That sort of thing has zero appeal to me, and I know I wouldn't be able to force myself to stick with it. What I need is something simple, convenient, and entertaining. To cover all those bases, I got an exercise bike for my apartment, so I can exercise every day without having to leave the house, and I can watch netflix on my tablet while I do it, which seems to keep me distracted well enough. I started towards the end of June, and made it a goal to get my heart rate up to around 125 and keep it there for 45 minutes every day. As a result, every day for a little over two months now, I've "biked" 10 miles (and watched a ton of anime, hahaha). I also cut most of the snack/junk food I'd been eating, and replaced my evening ramen with an evening salad.

Yes, I know there are more effective ways to lose weight. I know there are quicker ways to lose weight. I know I won't get ripped or anything. I don't really care, though. My main goal is just to make physical activity a regular part of my daily routine, and hopefully slowly become a bit less of a fatass. So far I think I might have accomplished the "make it part of my routine" thing, and though I don't think I've lose much weight just yet, I've at least noticed an improvement in my circulation.

Baby steps.

Not trying to sound sanctimonious, but it's ALL mental and the way you're approaching it means it's unlikely you'll maintain any sort of regime.

First, I agree, exercise is BS. Exercise is pointless, training is where it's at. The latter is all about purpose and structure, you've got a goal and you've worked out the steps and timeframe to achieve that goal. When you simply exercise, your mind wanders, you get bored, you have no purpose and you give up.

Yes, lifting weights or other types of resistance training can be painful and tedious but the process is also exhilarating and satisfying. I, and the vast majority of others, would probably not lift weights if we hated it and simply did it as a means to an end. I promise you, the process itself DOES become enjoyable. As robin_teacher implied, it lifts your mood and that's entirely correct. When doing high resistance training, you learn to 'zone out'; your mind takes a mini vacation from the stress of day-to-day life and when you're done, you're tired and sore, but feel immense satisfaction and accomplishment.

Don't approach this journey with a negative mindset.

If you can get through the tedious and laborious task of mastering a stringed instrument, you've all the discipline in the world to start a training routine and stick with it.

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 08:06:34 am »
I suppose it's just making time to do it everyday. 

yeah, that really is the thing... add that to my list of "challenges" lol

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2019, 08:35:00 am »
Not trying to sound sanctimonious, but

Never the best way to start out, hahaha.

it's ALL mental and the way you're approaching it means it's unlikely you'll maintain any sort of regime.

This is not news to me. Like I said, I was in the military. I've heard more cliches about what percentage is mental than you can shake a stick at. That's why my primary goal now is just making exercise a part of my daily routine. I'm a man of habit, so I need to make setting time aside for exercise every day one of those habits. That's what I'm working on now.

Yes, lifting weights or other types of resistance training can be painful and tedious but the process is also exhilarating and satisfying.

I promise you, it isn't. It just isn't. I understand that some people really enjoy it, but it just does nothing for me. It's cool that you enjoy it, but try not to assume that everyone else will just because you do. To run with your musical instrument comparison, I don't assume that just because I enjoy listening to brutal death metal, surely everyone else who plays guitar will, too, if they just listen to it for long enough. I've tried the weightlifting thing in the past, both during and briefly after my time in the military, and I didn't enjoy it at all.

I, and the vast majority of others, would probably not lift weights if we hated it and simply did it as a means to an end. I promise you, the process itself DOES become enjoyable.

And I promise you, it doesn't.

As robin_teacher implied, it lifts your mood and that's entirely correct. When doing high resistance training, you learn to 'zone out'; your mind takes a mini vacation from the stress of day-to-day life and when you're done, you're tired and sore, but feel immense satisfaction and accomplishment.

Not for me, it doesn't.

Don't approach this journey with a negative mindset.

I approach everything with a negative mindset. Telling me that is like telling someone who's depressed "Don't be sad."

If you can get through the tedious and laborious task of mastering a stringed instrument, you've all the discipline in the world to start a training routine and stick with it.

The disconnect there is that I actually enjoy playing a stringed instrument, so that's kinda like saying "You stuck with a laborious thing that you enjoy, so you can definitely stick with a tedious thing that you hate!" It doesn't quite add up.

I understand that you're trying to be supportive and give advice, so I hope I'm not coming off as too combative. I've just been down this road before where I talk about fitness and then get talked down to by people who are super into it and assume I've never done a pushup in my life, haha.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 08:50:58 am »
He's got the same attitude towards Islam. Any criticism of it just means you don't understand it.  :rolleyes:

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 09:30:22 am »
Each day:
Walk 10-15,000 steps at a brisk pace (basically to and from work rain or shine)
100-150 push ups
Apartment stair run 15 levels at maximum effort, twice
Kpip! - Martin 2018