Read 349 times

• aLioness89
  • Newgookin

• September 02, 2019, 07:46:53 am
    • South Korea
Interesting read on the medical system in the US
« on: September 02, 2019, 07:50:57 am »
"People often criticize me for calling America a “racist country.” Even when people mention reparations, white people will say that it happened so long ago and they had nothing to do with it.

But today I went down a rabbit hole that proves how racist this country is.

I was reading about a guy named Leon Bates in Indianapolis, who was researching a black police officer, William Whitfield, who died in 1922.

Well it turns out that Whitfield died because he was shot by a suspect. When they took Whitfield to the hospital, they couldn’t treat his injuries, not because he was too critically injured, but because he was black. Only black doctors could treat black patients.

So I wondered, why were there so few black doctors back then? It’s easy to say it was because of racism (it was).

So I discovered that, in the 1920s there were only two black medical schools. Of course, during the Jim Crow era, blacks couldn’t attend white schools

So I wondered: Why didn’t black people just start their own medical schools? We know segregation existed but couldn’t we have created our own education system?

So I discovered that in the 1800s and early 1900s there actually were black medical schools all over the country, but around 1910, all but two shut down.

So I wondered why they closed. Is it because we didn’t support them? Was it funding?

That’s when I discovered the Flexner Report.

In 1910, the Carnegie Foundation commissioned a report that would basically set the standards for American medicine until this day. The report suggested entrance exams for medical schools. It suggested that students should have at least two years of college before entering medical school. It did away with electroshock treatments quack medicine and it suggested that ALL hospitals adhere to this emerging medical research called the “germ theory.”

One of the things the report said was that black people naturally carried more germs and contaminated white people because, and this is a direct quote from the report:

“Ten million of them live in close contact with sixty million whites. Not only does the Negro himself suffer from hookworm and tuberculosis; he communicates them to his white neighbors, precisely as the ignorant and unfortunate white contaminates him.”

So the government adopted the findings of the report and shut down every black medical school in the country except Meharry and Howard. Black students would not be admitted into white medical schools for another 50 years.

Well guess what is the NUMBER ONE factor that determine whether a person will successfully graduate medical school and become a doctor, according to studies? It’s not grades, intelligence, test scores or even income. More than anything else, here’s how you can determine whether or not someone will be able to graduate medical school and become a physician:

If their parent was a doctor.

Now those white doctors, students and physicians children didn’t necessarily take anything from black people. But they BENEFITTED from the limited number of med school slots and finite number of jobs.

And for a half century, this was stolen from generations of black people, not because of poverty or “resources”...

But people are right. Technically America isn’t a racist country.

This is the DEFINITION OF white supremacy."

- M Harriot at theRoot.com

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
Re: Interesting read on the medical system in the US
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 01:04:04 pm »
Triggered right wingers in 3...2...1...

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 01:27:39 pm »

i'm so confused. did bb make a new profile? what does it mean to technically be a racist country? this is  so confusing to me. i want to agree with you so much (and mostly i do) but the way you present these facts and the way you draw your conclusions is so twisted. it's like when you (assuming you are bb) said that active racists aren't the real problem. i just don't get it, man

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 06:12:20 pm »
Triggered right wingers in 3...2...1...

You spelt “baited” wrong.

• aLioness89
  • Newgookin

• September 02, 2019, 07:46:53 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 10:15:15 pm »

i'm so confused. did bb make a new profile? what does it mean to technically be a racist country? this is  so confusing to me. i want to agree with you so much (and mostly i do) but the way you present these facts and the way you draw your conclusions is so twisted. it's like when you (assuming you are bb) said that active racists aren't the real problem. i just don't get it, man

I don't know who bb is. I just arrived for EPIK summer intake. My friends told me this website is a must especially since I'm teaching elementary. I've been reading and clicking through the past few weeks and noticed an imbalance in the posts/forums so I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring. Judging from the other posts I read I knew this wouldn't be received well. It's not my words, it's from a friend of mine back home who writes for theRoot that I respect. Also, I'm not a "man". Thank you.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2019, 02:44:29 pm »

I don't know who bb is. I just arrived for EPIK summer intake. My friends told me this website is a must especially since I'm teaching elementary. I've been reading and clicking through the past few weeks and noticed an imbalance in the posts/forums so I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring. Judging from the other posts I read I knew this wouldn't be received well. It's not my words, it's from a friend of mine back home who writes for theRoot that I respect. Also, I'm not a "man". Thank you.

sorry for assuming. your friend and a poster here have similar writing styles. anyway, i still don't get what that part about america being "technically not racist" is supposed to mean

• bb459
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2019, 06:19:42 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 07:41:45 am »

It is technically racist because that's what history tells us.
amerika was a slave-trade and a genocide long before it was ever a country.
For hundreds of years, amerika operated as a business. A business based on slavery and genocide.
After a few hundred years of that, the "founding fathers"** were like, "man, we need to make a way to keep this profitable venture for people like us going, but legally and on paper."
So they created the constitution and the american flag was born. "All men are created equal" ---which translated to rich, white, land owning men.
Not women, not native americans, not black people, not even poor white men who didn't own land.
So yes, TECHNICALLY speaking, amerika is racist because it was FOUNDED ON RACISM, SLAVERY & GENOCIDE.
If you ever read a history book that wasn't taught in public school, this is basic information.

**most, if not all of the founding fathers owned slaves. look it up.

And to your point, because you have selective hearing and your own type of reading comprehension.
I never said the silent majority is worse than the smaller group of active racists.
I said they are JUST AS BAD. MLK said the same thing.
"If you're not a part of the solution then you must be a part of the problem."