Read 4717 times

Re: So pathetic
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2019, 12:02:47 pm »
idk... general rioting, while dangerous and disruptive, seems less bad than targeting specific individuals of a country you don't like (only because they are from that country)
Yeah, North American sports riots tend to resemble a college campus during Rush Week. Juvenile acts of destruction without any attempt to injure people deliberately (though plenty of injuring people through stupidity). There's also a slightly different emotion involved. They also tend to be done by the winning team.

European and South American riots almost always tend to involve groups of fans targeting other fans or players for physical violence. This can either be politically motivated, or more often, simply because you're a fan of another team.

Now that's not to say that such fan fights don't happen in North America. There have been some ugly fan fights, but those are always unorganized and usually start with heckling that escalates into a "frank exchange of views" between one specific fan and their friend and another. In those fan fights you'll see fans of both teams watching the people fight. I think the closest thing I've seen to true targeting of other team's fans for no reason by a large group of people were when one section of, I'm just guessing Eagles fans (because well, Eagles fans, and it would never snow at a Raiders game) throwing snowballs at two random fans of the other team.

But yes, it's in Europe and South America where you have to have rows of police separating fans and riots tend to break out and ultras show up and travel warnings are issued and all that jolly good stuff.

Anyways, OP's claim that this somehow would only happen in Korea is balderdash. Anyways, I doubt a group of Korean ultras will be prowling the streets of Busan. The people of Busan will be doing their normal thing and more focused on the pathetic status of the Lotte Giants than some U-18 baseball tournament.

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2019, 12:15:51 pm »
Even worse is that there isn't much of a platform for others to speak against it. There are many Koreans who don't agree with the boycott and would prefer diplomacy, but it's hard for them to speak out because the national fervor keeps rising.
Evidently they had platform enough to get the banners taken down in Jung-gu.

If we want a more apt comparison, I'd say Chick-fil-A back home. There is an actual serious boycott of them by many on the left. And if you have a lot of left-leaning friends, don't you dare say anything positive or post on social media that you ate there.

Of course there are people trying, but they're getting drowned out by everyone else, and their pushback is getting less and less effective.

The Chick-fil-A boycott is a closer comparison just for how divisive the participants can be, but it's still not the same since we're not dealing with the same numbers against a single business here but with an entire nation and ethnicity, and a much larger blowback. It's nowhere near the same level of seriousness, and it doesn't have the same level of implications for an entire country.

I was hoping that it would have fizzled down a little by now, but the rhetoric has only gotten louder and stronger where I am.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:55:28 pm by Chinguetti »

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2019, 12:18:09 pm »
idk... general rioting, while dangerous and disruptive, seems less bad than targeting specific individuals of a country you don't like (only because they are from that country)
pathetic ... Lotte Giants

don't you dare

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2019, 01:18:45 pm »
don't you dare
I say that as a fan.

This season it's been...it's been not good.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2019, 02:01:29 pm »

I explicitly stated that I wasn't referring to travel to and from their facilities.

I was talking about being out and about. The Japanese team is still going to wear its uniforms on the bus to the stadium. But not be in full regalia touring Busan. If the entire Arsenal squad decided to visit Disneyland, I doubt they'd be in full kit (unless some promotion was involved).

Also, weird you chose Arsenal at Baku considering Mkhitaryan wasn't able to join his teammates because Azerbaijan couldn't guarantee his personal safety or the team's were he to join them.

I really shouldn't do this...but I'll bite.

People have literally given you first hand experiences of themselves seeing athletes in teamwear out and about and you're still here disputing things.

Mkhitaryan couldn't go to Baku because his safety was not guaranteed anywhere in the city[/u] regardless of what he wore. This specific situation has nothing to do with sports, and was a poor example to begin with. I included the picture of the arsenal team to show players indeed do have to walk around in club wear during away games.

Moreover, their schedules are so tight that they wouldn't even have the time to 'walk around town' in such a situation. These guys literally fly in one or two days before, train, have teem meetings, rest, train some more, play the match and then fly out that very same night or early the following morning. During this time they are on the clock and do not leave the hotel (bar one or two players sneaking out)...so, again, a poor example.

Tournaments are slightly different because players have more time in the host city...and yes, they do go around town 'in full regalia'.

The Dutch national team at Auschwitz in teamwear

The Italian national team at Auschwitz in teamwear

The french national team walking the streets of Kiev in teamwear
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 02:03:47 pm by waygo0k »

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2019, 02:20:53 pm »
Tournaments are slightly different because players have more time in the host city...and yes, they do go around town 'in full regalia'.
Depends on the nature of the event.

Your photos are part of a public relations event at Auschwitz. And in the first photo, the players are in blazers without any obvious club badges. These are obviously organized, high-publicity events. I'm sure if the Japanese team were to tour some museum dedicated to the occupation, there would be similar protocols. I also imagine there are serious levels of security at Auschwitz given its high-profile nature as a potential terrorist target.

As for the other photo, we don't know the context. If they were going to a public relations event or doing a tour hosted by the city, obviously that changes things.

We're also talking about pro/full-on international teams that will have a full security detail and their own personal bodyguards and entourage even. Not the same as a U-18 baseball team hopping out to Pizza Hut.

Also, for all we know, this was done at the behest of panicky parents who were afraid of their kids traveling to Korea, not on the basis of any determined threat.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2019, 03:48:36 pm »
The players are wearing Dutch FA attire DM, one would think it was bleeding obvious. Do you think all 30+ players randomly went out and got the exact same design shirts, cardigans, blazers and jeans themselves? Or do you think all 30+ of them coincidentally turned up wearing the exact same outfit?

And yes, these are obviously organized, high-publicity events, just like ANY visiting team at a major international event would be part of.

If the Japanese players went out during the day in Busan, you can bet your best hat there'll be some cameras and reporters following them...because they are participants in an obviously organized, high-publicity event - that pesky little tournamet they came to the country for in the first place. There may not be as many cameras and reporters as, say, the adult men's national team, but they will be there.

Another example...the Mongolian National basketball team visiting FIBA museum in Spain. Who the heck knows or cares about the Mongolian National basketball team? Yet, there they are in teamwear.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2019, 05:38:54 pm »
It's highly unlikely a group of Japanese athletes would get attacked. However, it only takes one moron. Can't control all 51 millions Koreans.

And if one Korean did attack someone, many of you guys will be spouting off "Koreans are this...", and "Koreans are that..."

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2019, 03:28:54 am »
The players are wearing Dutch FA attire DM, one would think it was bleeding obvious.
If you don't know who Robin Van Persie is, you wouldn't have a clue who they were. Show that to someone who isn't a football fan and ask them who they are and where they're from and no one will have any idea.

For the non-football fans here, please show what indicates they are Dutch in the clothing they are wearing in that photo.
just like ANY visiting team at a major international event would be part of.
Are those the ONLY activities visiting athletes ever do? Organized team public relations events? Of course not.

If the Japanese players went out during the day in Busan, you can bet your best hat there'll be some cameras and reporters following them...because they are participants in an obviously organized, high-publicity event
If there wasn't the current tension, do you think anyone would give a frig about the visiting teams to a U-18 baseball tournament? Do you think there's going to be a bunch of reporters following the Taiwanese team?

There may not be as many cameras and reporters as, say, the adult men's national team, but they will be there.
There would likely be a couple local stringers and maybe, MAYYYYYBBBEEE a national sports writer if its a slow news cycle. It's a U-18 baseball event.

Who the heck knows or cares about the Mongolian National basketball team? Yet, there they are in teamwear.
Good. I can show the same thing for the Mongolian team in Korea.

Spain?
https://elpais.com/elpais/2014/12/12/inenglish/1418379310_978569.html
Or how about Italy banning away fans? You do realize that some people in some regions of Italy regard themselves as virtually being of another nation, right?
https://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/italy-bans-away-fans-of-four-clubs-in-serie-a-378080.html

Now show a Spanish team in full Castilian regalia wandering through Basque country. Or how about the Spanish national team showing up in Catalonia during the crisis last year in full Spanish monarchist regalia?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 12:23:58 am by Mr.DeMartino »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
I just received a 35% warning for the title of this thread (mods changed it) as apparently "so pathetic" is viewed by them as clickbait and against the TOS of the site.

Well you could have knocked me down with a feather.

Anyhow, apologies if I came across as trying to get this thread as clickbait, not intended.

PS. I think 35% is a bit harsh for an unintentional error.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
i got banned for weeks for posting a photo of some ham once, so..

Lived in Honolulu for 5 years. Always see visiting student athletes in school gear with university name and sport on it around Waikiki.  Couple years ago a California baseball team was participating in an baseball tournament in Korea. They all wore their baseball gear on the plane from Hawaii.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 06:40:58 pm by Pattinsons »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
American journalists were told to not mention "Canada" on the three-network non-cable news channels, just to mention the province, unless it was a negative story. And they complied.

This century is something else.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
American journalists were told to not mention "Canada" on the three-network non-cable news channels, just to mention the province, unless it was a negative story. And they complied.

This century is something else.

Told by who?
Source?

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
DM, nobody cares whether you can identify players from the Dutch national team or not. The key here is they are all in uniform provided by the Dutch FA.

Also, this is the second or third time you’re confusing sporting rivalries with ethnic tensions.

You realise basque players play for the Spain national team and various clubs up and down the country right? If an international competition we’re to be held in Basque Country, you can bet your best hat that the Spanish national team would be at events (with guards) in full teamwear, just like every other team partaking in the tournament would.

Yes, team functions are usually the team going to places of public interest TOGETHER..I didn’t think I had to spell that out for you.

And this is also the second or third time you’re confusing AWAY GAMES with tournament competitions.

Teams and players rarely have enough time to do anything other than train and rest during away games. I’ve mentioned this before. So you wouldn’t see them anywhere other than on the team bus, at the airport or train station, stadium and hotel.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
Korea is always butt-hurt about something...now, it is sports jerseys. 

DM, nobody cares whether you can identify players from the Dutch national team or not. The key here is they are all in uniform provided by the Dutch FA.
That uniform doesn't identify them as Dutch. Again, please point to the part of the Uniform that identifies them as being Dutch.

Also, this is the second or third time youíre confusing sporting rivalries with ethnic tensions.
Yes, because no sporting rivalries ever involved ethnic/sectarian tensions. cough...Celtic-Rangers....cough

You realise basque players play for the Spain national team and various clubs up and down the country right?
You realize Bilbao only has players who are Basque?

Do you seriously think that if tensions were high between the Basque Region and Spain or Catalonia and Spain, and those regions held a tournament, that the Spanish National Team would be parading through the streets in full regalia? No. They would take a bus with tinted windows and be discreet.

Yes, team functions are usually the team going to places of public interest TOGETHER..I didnít think I had to spell that out for you.
There's a difference between a high-profile national team visiting Auschwitz and a U-18 team hitting up Pizza Hut.

Teams and players rarely have enough time to do anything other than train and rest during away games. Iíve mentioned this before. So you wouldnít see them anywhere other than on the team bus, at the airport or train station, stadium and hotel.

You do realize that we're talking baseball here, right? They don't have the same kind of training regimen as football. You don't train heavy on opposition tactics and you don't have tactics of your own. Baseball has a lot more downtime.

And for U-18 internationals, I'm not sure if they even have video tape of the opposing pitchers and hitters so they might not even have film sessions.

This was the choice of the Japanese team, not Korea. They did it out of an overabundance of caution, not because of any specified threat or calls for protest.

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
Quote from: NorthStar on Today at 10:19:54 am

This was the choice of the Japanese team, not Korea. They did it out of an overabundance of caution, not because of any specified threat or calls for protest.

Nevertheless...Kore a IS always butt-hurt about something....

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• Chungnam
DM, youíre the one that claimed teams donít go around in their visiting kits...the Dutch team literally walked around in uniform and youíre trying to move the goal posts by claiming thereís no identifying logo.

I highly doubt youíd be able to identify the Burton Albion badge if it were sewn on those very same blazers. With or without a visible badge, itís clearly obvious those players are part of an organisation since theyíre all literally wearing identical outfits.

Again, you present another extremely poor example of two teams occupying the same city. Of course Celtic and Rangers squads go around Glasgow in team wear during official functions...both teams call the city home FFS.

Who gives a flying feck if Bilbao only has players born or raised in the Basque region? If those players end up playing for the Spanish National team, which many of them have...why wouldnít they walk through the streets of Basque Country with their Spanish team mates in Spanish FA gear during official events?

Yes, there is a difference between a high profile national team visiting Auschwitz and an u-18 national team visiting Pizza Hut. As long as both events are official team events...both sets of squads would be in full team wear. Thatís how itís done in the majority of sports around the world.

Baseball has 100+ game seasons, where games typically last anything from 3-4hrs not including pre-game preparation.

Football typically has 50-60 game seasons, with games lasting 2hrs on average including breaks and extra time, but excluding pre-game preparation.

So in which sport would teams have a lot more down time again? Try not to pull things out of your arse this time.

Yes why would the Japanese fear overzealous Korean nationalism?

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2019/08/251_274485.html

Police have launched a probe after a video and photos of a South Korean man allegedly threatening and beating a Japanese woman went viral on social media, they said Saturday.

"We have found the victim and the suspect in the alleged assault case, which occurred the previous day and contacted them," an official at Seoul Mapo Police Station said.

"We will call them in later in the day and investigate the details of the incident."

In the video that went viral online, the man threateningly follows the woman, hurling insults. The video accompanied multiple photos of the man allegedly beating the woman.

The woman reportedly said the man began threatening her near the university district of Hongdae in western Seoul when she ignored him as he followed her.

Police said they began looking into the case after receiving a report that a video of a South Korean man assaulting a Japanese woman is circulating online.

The incident took place amid escalating tensions between South Korea and Japan following Tokyo's export restrictions on South Korea in apparent retaliation against Seoul's top court rulings on wartime forced labor.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit