• Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3768697

Japan U-18 national baseball team told not to wear uniforms on S. Korea streets
2019 WBSC U-18 Baseball World Cup to be held in Busan, S. Korea

By Zin Kao, Taiwan News, Staff Writer

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) – The team members and coaches of Japan's U-18 national team were seen wearing plain white shirts without their country's name or flag printed on them when departing for South Korea from Narita Airport this morning (Aug. 28), NHK reports.

The 2019 WBSC U-18 Baseball World Cup will begin in Busan, South Korea, on Friday (Aug. 30). Amid the recent deterioration of the Japan-South Korea relationship and growing anti-Japanese sentiment in South Korea, the Japan High School Baseball Federation (Koyaren) announced on Tuesday (Aug. 27) that all team members and coaches are required to wear undecorated white shirts when arriving in, and departing from, South Korea.

The director-general of Koyaren, Masahiko Takenaka (竹中雅彥), said the federation had decided not to show anything Japan-related because of “concerns about Korean people’s feelings.” He also emphasized that politics and sports are two separate things and that Koyaren's concern is helping the players compete without worries.

In addition, Koyaren has forbidden the players from going out alone in their free time or wearing team uniforms on the streets for their safety. It is discouraging them from leaving the hotel at all, saying that the convenience store inside the hotel should satisfy their needs.

Both the Busan police and the Japanese Consulate General in Busan have warned about anti-Japan demonstrations in the city and urged Japanese visitors to stay out of protest areas to avoid any unnecessary quarrels. Busan is the city most visited by Japanese, but anti-Japanese sentiment is on the rise, with some restaurants even putting up notices that say “not serving Japanese."

Koyaren’s decision has been understood by the Japanese public as a safety measure. However, Takenaka’s remarks, which some fans perceive as prioritizing the “concerns about Korean people’s feelings” over protecting the young players, are under attack.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 10:40:50 am by taeyang »
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Re: So pathetic
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 01:01:22 pm »
This isn't that out of the ordinary for sports events. Most players don't go parading around town in their visiting kits and teams generally try and keep things chill.

I do agree its a sad turn of events that people are worried Koreans will be more like Europeans or South Americans rather than North Americans in how they deal with sports and visiting athletes.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 02:31:31 pm »
This isn't that out of the ordinary for sports events. Most players don't go parading around town in their visiting kits and teams generally try and keep things chill.

I do agree its a sad turn of events that people are worried Koreans will be more like Europeans or South Americans rather than North Americans in how they deal with sports and visiting athletes.

I went to this event when it was in Seoul around six years ago.  All the players were out and about in their gear or with jackets.  Some smart people were going around the area around Mok Dong stadium with a program going up and asking for as many autographs as they could get.  Some of these guys may be major leaguers one day.  I actually got asked by a Korean guy in the stadium if I was in the program.  I guess he thought I was a manager or coach.  Anyways, the players were having a good time and were roaming all over in identifying garb.  What the Japanese players are being told to do, especially not leaving the hotel, is not the norm and is unfortunate for the players.

Your second point is a smooth deflection, I must admit.  However, no one was tying in the behavior to Europeans or South Americans.  This is only out of concern of Korean behavior that they are doing this.  The responsibility for the Japanese players having to go incognito lies solely with the petty mind of the Koreans who are on board with this NO Boycott Japan garbage.  I know trying to bring in European and South American behavior on this comforts you Martin, but this is on Korea and Koreans only.  No one is talking about them behaving like other fans, just Korean fans. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 02:58:01 pm »
in a story i'm teaching this week, someone goes to japan. in every single class i teach, the whole class erupted when they saw the word "japan" saying things like "japan bad", "japan dirty", "i hate japan", etc. they are in 5th grade. it's fucking mental.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 03:24:17 pm »
in a story i'm teaching this week, someone goes to japan. in every single class i teach, the whole class erupted when they saw the word "japan" saying things like "japan bad", "japan dirty", "i hate japan", etc. they are in 5th grade. it's fucking mental.

I had a picture of a random 7-11 in one of my ppt's yesterday, and in the class, the students saw 7-11 and went really angry, because "7-11 is Japan!" Took my co-t 15 minutes to calm them down, over a really small picture of 7-11. D: (granted, this was in the worst class, of my school that is mostly delinquent students - some these students have broken windows and doors during classes, started a small fire, and often steal from teacher's bags / desks).

But yeah, this boycott Japan thing is stupid. >.<

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 03:34:13 pm »

Mr DM, it out of the ordinary, this is a world championship and I can assure you that if you attend any international sporting event in any country (except Korea, it seems), you will find teams displaying their country's colors, so I call b/s on that.

I am keen to know if any other country has been told the same.

I think this is despicable.  This hatred thing of Japan is getting out of hand.  I know that Korea had a bad time under the Japanese (though I do think there was some collusion on the part of Korea with regards to the comfort women) and I am NOT condoning it at all, but other countries suffered too, the Philippines for one, there was nothing left of their country when the Japanese were defeated. However, they have moved on and Japan is one of their closest allies now.  In my 11 years of traveling and living there I have NEVER heard one Filipino say anything like I hate the Japanese, quite the opposite in fact.

Its time Korea moved on.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 04:15:38 pm »

Mr DM, it out of the ordinary, this is a world championship and I can assure you that if you attend any international sporting event in any country (except Korea, it seems), you will find teams displaying their country's colors, so I call b/s on that.

I think this is despicable.  This hatred thing of Japan is getting out of hand.  I know that Korea had a bad time under the Japanese (though I do think there was some collusion on the part of Korea with regards to the comfort women) and I am NOT condoning it at all, but other countries suffered too, the Philippines for one, there was nothing left of their country when the Japanese were defeated. However, they have moved on and Japan is one of their closest allies now.  In my 11 years of traveling and living there I have NEVER heard one Filipino say anything like I hate the Japanese, quite the opposite in fact.

Its time Korea moved on.

I can confirm that plenty of “National kit” from visiting athletes and fans was worn on the streets during the 2018 Winter Olympics, in [checks notes] South Korea.

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 05:49:04 pm »

Its time Korea moved on.

I can confirm that plenty of “National kit” from visiting athletes and fans was worn on the streets during the 2018 Winter Olympics, in [checks notes] South Korea.

When I said "parading around I meant in the context of being out and about. Most try to keep things low key simply for focus reasons and such, nothing political related. That's what I keant. Obviously on the ride from the airport they might but generally they'd be in normal clothes hust blending in. Not doing some group tour in full regalia.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 07:27:35 pm »

I had a picture of a random 7-11 in one of my ppt's yesterday, and in the class, the students saw 7-11 and went really angry, because "7-11 is Japan!" Took my co-t 15 minutes to calm them down, over a really small picture of 7-11. D: (granted, this was in the worst class, of my school that is mostly delinquent students - some these students have broken windows and doors during classes, started a small fire, and often steal from teacher's bags / desks).

But yeah, this boycott Japan thing is stupid. >.<
oh yeah. they were doing that too. "Lotte World" was in an example sentence. suddenly everyone hates Lotte because they are japanese. **** me

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 08:01:16 pm »

Its time Korea moved on.

When I said "parading around I meant in the context of being out and about. Most try to keep things low key simply for focus reasons and such, nothing political related. That's what I keant. Obviously on the ride from the airport they might but generally they'd be in normal clothes hust blending in. Not doing some group tour in full regalia.

Nope.

Source: was a (possibly obnoxious) Canadian fan at the 2018 Olympics

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 09:29:55 pm »
I had the displeasure of going back to school and teaching 2 weeks before any other elementary school opened, the principal has some screwy ideas. This was right when the boycott started getting attention.

Everyone is entitled to their political opinion, but when it's the entire damn class of children, from 4th to 6th grade getting into a fervor when anything remotely related to Japan pops on the screen, something is seriously wrong. My CT and I discussed the issue and her opinion was that these kids hear all the talk from the fathers at the dinner table.

Like any rational person, I was intrigued by this whole debacle and did my research on the topic. It turns out to be rather complicated, far more complicated for a child to comprehend, let alone have such a passionate opinion. My guess is, most people really don't understand the dynamics of the issue and are simply jumping on the nationalist train.

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 10:33:36 pm »

Your second point is a smooth deflection, I must admit.  However, no one was tying in the behavior to Europeans or South Americans.  This is only out of concern of Korean behavior that they are doing this.  The responsibility for the Japanese players having to go incognito lies solely with the petty mind of the Koreans who are on board with this NO Boycott Japan garbage.  I know trying to bring in European and South American behavior on this comforts you Martin, but this is on Korea and Koreans only.  No one is talking about them behaving like other fans, just Korean fans.

Granted this was posted after my reply, but it's by OP and I think it shows that he was thinking along those lines

Henreikh Mkhitaryan at this year's Europa League was unable to travel with Arsenal to Azerbaijan because of his Armenian descent and they could not guarantee his safety.

Do you seriously think other team's players are just strolling through the streets of Eastern European cities in full kit? Do you think Rangers players are roaming the streets of Glasgow fully decked out? Do you think if England and Ireland had a match in Ireland that there wouldn't be similar precautions?

I agree that it's despicable and there is no place for that in sport, but this is probably just the club taking every precaution if some nutcase tries something. Has there been any credible threat leveled against them? Is there a mass protest planned? It's definitely sad, but trying to label this as something uniquely Korean is just off.

There have been two really notable incidents- One the banners in Jung-gu, which got such a backlash from the public that they were taken down, and the Japanese woman who was assaulted. The Korean guy claims it wasn't because of nationality, which I am skeptical of, but the fact is that the act was met with swift condemnation by the public.

So yes, it's a shame that in this time of whipped up passions that a few crazies might do something and that IS on some of the rhetoric that is coming from some Korean politicians and public figures, but you can't say that the entire country is responsible for such concerns when they have demonstrated that they make a distinction between the Japanese government and the Japanese people.

I do hope President Moon does something like attending this event and making a public stand against intolerance because things are too heated, but I also think that people are showing that same tendency which they are speaking out on in painting Koreans with such a broad brush and singling them out as uniquely bad.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 11:38:12 pm »
After 9/11, France did not support the American military and gov't plan to bomb Iraq, calling it a grab for oil, not a genuine attack against WMDs.

U.S. right wingers spoke of changing "French fries" (a Belgian creation) to "freedom fries".

The American right wing, Republican anger toward France and all things French was PATHETIC!

Just saying...

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2019, 05:40:54 am »
The percentage of Americans boycotting France then was less than the percentage of Koreans boycotting Japan now.

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 07:52:59 am »
Yeah, have to agree with L I on this one, the number of Americans who actually participated in that French boycott was an extreme minority -- the majority mocked them, including other Republicans, and it fizzled out very quickly.

This Japan boycott might be in the same spirit, but it's a lot more widespread and detrimental to the country and its people as a whole. It's definitely not a fair comparison, neither does it reduce the fact that this current event is still a serious issue.

Even worse is that there isn't much of a platform for others to speak against it. There are many Koreans who don't agree with the boycott and would prefer diplomacy, but it's hard for them to speak out because the national fervor keeps rising.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 08:06:06 am »

Henreikh Mkhitaryan at this year's Europa League was unable to travel with Arsenal to Azerbaijan because of his Armenian descent and they could not guarantee his safety.

Do you seriously think other team's players are just strolling through the streets of Eastern European cities in full kit? Do you think Rangers players are roaming the streets of Glasgow fully decked out? Do you think if England and Ireland had a match in Ireland that there wouldn't be similar precautions?

Umm...actually, yes. While on official club or national team duty, players often wear clothing with the club's/FA's logo on it.

Arsenal players arrive in Baku, Azerbaijan

Heck, even Cricket players wear official club/nation gear while on duty in the streets

In their free time, yes players wear what they want. But during matchdays, tournaments and competitions, they are on duty and more often than not only wear club-provided clothing.

It's obviously different in the US where NBA and NFL players get to wear whatever they want to the stadium.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 08:52:46 am »

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

http://youtu.be/wZS4gNVvW7o

http://youtu.be/iSVRMmUGgyI

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2019, 09:46:14 am »
idk... general rioting, while dangerous and disruptive, seems less bad than targeting specific individuals of a country you don't like (only because they are from that country)

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2019, 11:47:11 am »
In their free time, yes players wear what they want. But during matchdays, tournaments and competitions, they are on duty and more often than not only wear club-provided clothing.
I explicitly stated that I wasn't referring to travel to and from their facilities. I was talking about being out and about. The Japanese team is still going to wear its uniforms on the bus to the stadium. But not be in full regalia touring Busan. If the entire Arsenal squad decided to visit Disneyland, I doubt they'd be in full kit (unless some promotion was involved).

Also, weird you chose Arsenal at Baku considering Mkhitaryan wasn't able to join his teammates because Azerbaijan couldn't guarantee his personal safety or the team's were he to join them.

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 11:51:30 am »
Even worse is that there isn't much of a platform for others to speak against it. There are many Koreans who don't agree with the boycott and would prefer diplomacy, but it's hard for them to speak out because the national fervor keeps rising.
Evidently they had platform enough to get the banners taken down in Jung-gu.

If we want a more apt comparison, I'd say Chick-fil-A back home. There is an actual serious boycott of them by many on the left. And if you have a lot of left-leaning friends, don't you dare say anything positive or post on social media that you ate there.