Read 1075 times

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Munsan
Upcoming Change (in progress, now)
« on: August 25, 2019, 02:39:31 pm »
I've been speaking with some folks I know on the "inside" and there will be another change, regarding job "benefits".

Private schools, in the near future, will no longer be providing an upfront ticket to Korea...it will "reimbursed" at the end of the contract...if one is lucky enough. 

Folks will soon have to pay for the "privilege" of coming to Korea.

..the Hogwan Association strikes again. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Upcoming Change (in progress, now)
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 03:14:58 pm »
Benefits are going downhill. Soon, no flights at all.  :cry:

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 03:49:44 am »
If people will take these contacts, they will continue to offer them.

Itís all supply and demand.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 04:51:50 pm »
Demand is shrinking while supply is growing. So conditions will continue to deteriorate. So will adjusted for inflation wages. English teaching abroad for Westerners is gradually becoming worse over time. It's a career path industry on the decline.

• fruitloops
  • Adventurer

• July 22, 2019, 12:00:41 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 04:48:13 pm »
...and not even too far in the near future, once Neural Link goes global, people will just be able to download language packs for their brains and there will be no need for any language teachers in any country period.

While the english program is ever-changing in Korea....the bigger issue is that life as we know it globally is changing very fast and it's like a tidal wave most people are not even aware of that is coming.  The other changes that are coming is going to dwarf our own little huddle of the english teachers in korea community. 

I'm actually trying to spend more time figuring this part out as one will need to start focusing on other methods of income and not just teaching english (which I have already been experimenting with over the past few years), but I'm sure there are many more qualified and experienced people in this matter who know what I'm talking about and are no longer even teaching english korea (but still live here and make a good living doing something else).

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 09:21:03 pm »
This is one reason why I lament the lack of a formal organisation to speak up for us and give our point of view to the Korean media. Even if there's not a union, having group that acts as our advocate, and corrects falsehoods spread in the Korean media would help us a lot.
I can't say exactly how the changes you mentioned will be rolled out. But I can tell you that neither the JLP Program nor the hagwons offered to pay for my flight up front. It was reimbursed later-but at the end of the contract, yes, I got my flight money.
One more thing-the hagwons aren't saving much money by doing this. If they hire a teacher they don't like, they can pay for the flight upfront, then take that money from the teacher's salary before firing them. It happens.