Read 823 times

• donnelaf
  • Explorer

• May 13, 2019, 11:57:50 pm
    • Cheorwon, Gangwon, South Korea
Where to find syllabi for the different elementary grades?
« on: August 23, 2019, 12:52:25 pm »
My school is using the newest (I'm pretty sure) versions of the Cheonjae textbooks for grades 3-6. 3rd Grade- Book 1, Ham, 2015, 4th Grade- Book 1, Ham, 2015, 5th Grade- Ham 2015, 6th Grade- Ham 2015.

I read that it's a good idea before starting the semester to have a list of all the expressions and vocabularies you've covered so you can incorporate them into future lessons. So what should I be looking for? Syllabi? The teacher's guides? Where would I find that (the syllabi)? Is having such a list actually an effective strategy? It's my first year teaching, so I'm still figuring things out.

• Cohort 2019
  • Expert Waygook

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
Re: Where to find syllabi for the different elementary grades?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 02:47:40 pm »
Whatever you do, please do not EVER do those old-fashioned (North-) Korean Grammar-translation 'Tutko Ttara haseyo' drills. (Listen and repeat with the entire class)

They are proven to be ineffective and the only person that gets something out of it, is the teacher. :undecided:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suO4Ih84TZs
incumbo studiis

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 05:23:52 pm »
if working at a public school has taught me anything, is to keep everything as simple as possible.

i'd only focus on the specific expressions for that week. don't prepare too far in advance. maybe every few weeks do a review class about the previous few weeks.

just make your classes simple and fun.

the books that public schools use are terrible anyway.

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 12:37:08 am »
So you're looking for all the key expressions and new words for each book?  (If I'm understanding you correctly)

I would look in the teacher's guide...there might be a list with all that info already on it (check in the back of the book).  If not, then on the first page of each lesson (in the teacher's guide) there is a section where it has the key expressions and vocab for that lesson.  You could use that to make your own curriculum overview.