Read 1952 times

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Slave contract?
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 01:38:36 pm »
Slaves didn't have a contract.
No contract offered on here is as bad as slavery.
Please use a different analogy.

It's just a way of speaking...lighten up

No thank you.
If someone made insensitive jokes about you, your family, ethnicity, spouse, children, etc.
You wouldn't like it. Our words are powerful.
Race jokes, rape jokes, homophobic jokes...people always say "It's just a way of speaking/a joke, lighten up" - and then people are murdered.
Because kids and other people grow up with those jokes, don't know the difference, and actually believe the nonsense.

I'm not going back and forth with yall all day on this.
But I'll always be here to call out the nonsense.
Just try to use a different analogy. It's not that hard and doesn't negatively affect you in any way.

If you don't want people to roll their eyes at you, then running around with fake outrage, exaggerated emotional states, and twisting people's words are probably not the best way to make friends.  No one talked about murdering anyone else on here and I suspect the moderators would ban someone fast if they did.  Learn what a joke is not spoken in malice.  Political correctness with the twisting of people's words and meanings to be used against them increasingly drives people batty and irritates people to no end. 

You know what people really meant when they joked about being a slave.  No one on here actually supports slavery and we all should know better than to run around with fake outrage.   

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2019, 01:43:30 pm »
A private academy I recently interviewed with just sent me their contract.
Rather than post the whole thing I just thought I would show some parts which to me seem like red flags,
are these common for hagwan jobs?

Contract sticky points:

• The Employee agrees not to work for another institute located within 10km radius from the establishment location of the Employer even after completion of the contract, unless permitted by the Employer.

During lunch time, and snack time, teachers will eat lunch and snack with the kids. Teachers can't eat lunch outside, because the kids are too young, so teachers will help kids during snack and lunch time.

During the term of Agreement, the Employee will be required to accomplish the assigned duties for 30 clock hours (30 teaching hours) each week. (one month 120 hours). Teaching hours are: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9:30AM-7:00PM; Tuesday, Thursday 9:30AM - 6:00PM.( The teacher must have adequately prepared for the classes in advance.)

Each teaching hour in excess of 30 hours a week is considered as overtime. (1 overtime clock-hour, 18,000 won)
    In order to maintain the quality of lessons one hour of preparation time prior to classes each day is required from the Employee. This preparation time is not included in the calculation of any overtime hours, which the employee may be required to work. The Employee is required to attend in a staff meeting a week.

The contract mentioned nothing about pension. As far as I know, being held in the building during lunch break is in breach of LSA.
The 10km radius would mean not being able to work in Seoul metro area ever again after completing the contract.

I'd ignore that after.  I just wouldn't advertise it if I came back.  He couldn't enforce it anyways not in Seoul or a big city.  Maybe a small town might mean moving to another small town.

As for the contract, it could be a kindy with long days and lunch duty which should be paid as a class if you have to eat with them and take care of them.   The little kids can either drive you nuts or have you really like them for being cute as buttons.  It is a long day and you should be paid well for it.  At least 2.6 or 2.9 million won to put up with it.  If they tell you it;s 30 hours like an afternoon hakwon, you tell them the extra duties are work too and need to be paid.  Also a long day waited waiting around for classes deserve compensation.  Also make sure medical and pension are written into contract.  (I assume they are already saving money by only paying one way flight?  So, they can pay you in other ways.) 

If you are getting 2.1 to 2.4 for all this, tell them to flake off and walk.  Other jobs in Korea and China and Vietnam can be had, etc. 

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2019, 08:30:49 pm »
  Other jobs in Korea and China and Vietnam can be had, etc. 

Phuck China.

Vietnam...the luck is quite polarized.  BUT...if luck is in your favor (and don't take that  with a grain of salt), one can do quite well there. 

China...again, phuck China.