Read 701 times

• Cmorgan
  • Waygookin

• August 29, 2012, 09:21:24 am
Teaching adults/business English
« on: August 18, 2019, 04:44:25 pm »
Hello,

I have been teaching in Korea in all public schools for a few years but would like a change to teaching adults, specifically business English since I studied business. But all I seem to find in the job postings boards are split shifts positions from hagwons that don't have good reviews, and people tell me how hard and stressful it was for them. Does anyone have any good/positive experiences teaching adults/business English? How was it and how to did you go about finding the job? I appreciate any recommendations on hagwons/companies. Thanks in advance!! 8)

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Teaching adults/business English
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 05:00:11 pm »
you'll be best off if you have an F visa. most business english jobs are part time, and you'd be unable to do that on an E2 visa

the british council are the best for teaching adults full time. i've heard a lot of negative things about the korean adult hagwons, though (the ones with split shifts, like you mentioned)

• Cohort 2019
  • Adventurer

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 05:17:01 pm »
Apply here: https://www.jobpagoda.com/en

Teaching adults, especially higher-ups and CEOs, can be frustrating.

SLE Business 1    (Pre-Intermediate)  Students use their fundamental English language skills to develop their business English skills. Students will build confidence in speaking, and begin to cultivate their business skills by applying both established and new language to everyday situations.
SLE Business 2    (Intermediate)  Students continue their development of practical business English skills and language. At this level, students will be able to conduct a meeting, hold a negotiation, and make a presentation suitable for a native counterpart.
SLE Business 3    (Upper Intermediate)  Students will be introduced to language to widen the scope of their language abilities and to understand the intricacies of language used in everyday corporate situations. Students will also fine tune practical skills (negotiation, presentation, meeting, etc.) that were developed in previous levels.
SLE Business Adv  (Advanced)  Using authentic articles from top new sources, students discuss the latest topics and developments in business world. Students will maintain their level of naturally spoken English, while expanding their knowledge of the modern business world.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 05:18:54 pm by Cohort 2019 »
incumbo studiis

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 10:33:15 am »

why do you say that? also, isn't pagoda a notoriously bad place to work?

• Cohort 2019
  • Adventurer

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 01:53:14 pm »
Is it? I had no idea!
I just remember I got tons of privates after people got to know that I had worked there.

It can get frustrating, also currently with my expat class, because adults invest 0 time reviewing or prepping and basically expect miracles within a few months.
incumbo studiis

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 07:24:59 pm »
yeah, that's just what i've heard anyway

and i dunno. adults i have don't really have any expectations (even the CEOs, etc). they just want to learn some useful phrases/expressions/etc for an hour. having said that, i prefer group classes over 1:1s, so maybe that's why

• Cmorgan
  • Waygookin

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 10:50:19 am »
you'll be best off if you have an F visa. most business english jobs are part time, and you'd be unable to do that on an E2 visa

the british council are the best for teaching adults full time. i've heard a lot of negative things about the korean adult hagwons, though (the ones with split shifts, like you mentioned)

Ok thanks...I don't have an F visa so I guess that puts me at a disadvantage. I will check out the british council. If I can't find what I am looking for then I'll consider an adult hagwon for a year or maybe try China.

• Cmorgan
  • Waygookin

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 10:59:13 am »

SLE Business 1    (Pre-Intermediate)  Students use their fundamental English language skills to develop their business English skills. Students will build confidence in speaking, and begin to cultivate their business skills by applying both established and new language to everyday situations.
SLE Business 2    (Intermediate)  Students continue their development of practical business English skills and language. At this level, students will be able to conduct a meeting, hold a negotiation, and make a presentation suitable for a native counterpart.
SLE Business 3    (Upper Intermediate)  Students will be introduced to language to widen the scope of their language abilities and to understand the intricacies of language used in everyday corporate situations. Students will also fine tune practical skills (negotiation, presentation, meeting, etc.) that were developed in previous levels.
SLE Business Adv  (Advanced)  Using authentic articles from top new sources, students discuss the latest topics and developments in business world. Students will maintain their level of naturally spoken English, while expanding their knowledge of the modern business world.

Thanks for your reply....I have a couple of friends that worked at Pagoda, mixed reviews, split shift, stressful, but they were happy with the pay. I would like a more professional environment than public school but not crazy stressful. I was at a very stressful job back home and came here to have a good work life balance but I would like to make a lot more money. I have an MBA and what to put it to some use. Do you know Pagoda's starting salary/benefits? How was the split shift for you?

• Cohort 2019
  • Adventurer

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 03:11:36 pm »

https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=17415.0

0 prep/ no stress?  Then you should stick with elementary teaching but if you want to teach adults, they can tell immediately that you haven't prepped your class and they get up earlier and get home much later than you, so the 7 am time slot is just what comes with the job.

I didn't mind getting up early, if anything, it gave me so much time to study during the day. If you want to spend your evenings doing whatever till 4 am, wake up at 1 pm. and leisurely roll out of your bed 10 min before your 2 pm. class starts, then you might complain about the split shifts. The people that were struggling getting up early, were the ones... uhm...on a beer diet.

My colleagues were nice and afaik if you just behave professionally there won't be any problems. The people that did leave had students drop out on them, but tbh. I wouldn't want to come to a class where my teacher clearly had no clue how to teach people and was making spelling errors. My guess is that the majority of the bad reviews is because of the large teacher turnover, meaning that they get to process a lot more of the 'trying out teaching esl for shi ts and laughs' crowd and adult students just don't accept that.

They treat each contract case-by-case I think, because I was interviewed by a kyopo and another teacher (a Mormon)  was interviewed by a white guy. Our contracts were different, too. He had to work Saturdays, I didn't and he also got less pay. I just went over my contract step-by-step with the manager. I think you shouldn't consider anything less than 3 million with your MBA, provided that you will prepare all of your classes well because if you're a lazy teacher, no matter how 'cute' or 'fun' you are in class, you will get that one student with that annoyed look and before you know it, you are in the 1 student left death spiral.

It's a business after all and adults can enroll last-minute and be gone the next month. Just remember it's illegal for them to send you out to teach somewhere else, even to another branch. (I was sent out to kyobo for a month, unaware that it was illegal for me to do so.)
incumbo studiis

• Cmorgan
  • Waygookin

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 05:39:21 pm »

https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=17415.0

0 prep/ no stress?  Then you should stick with elementary teaching but if you want to teach adults, they can tell immediately that you haven't prepped your class and they get up earlier and get home much later than you, so the 7 am time slot is just what comes with the job.

I didn't mind getting up early, if anything, it gave me so much time to study during the day. If you want to spend your evenings doing whatever till 4 am, wake up at 1 pm. and leisurely roll out of your bed 10 min before your 2 pm. class starts, then you might complain about the split shifts. The people that were struggling getting up early, were the ones... uhm...on a beer diet.

My colleagues were nice and afaik if you just behave professionally there won't be any problems. The people that did leave had students drop out on them, but tbh. I wouldn't want to come to a class where my teacher clearly had no clue how to teach people and was making spelling errors. My guess is that the majority of the bad reviews is because of the large teacher turnover, meaning that they get to process a lot more of the 'trying out teaching esl for shi ts and laughs' crowd and adult students just don't accept that.

They treat each contract case-by-case I think, because I was interviewed by a kyopo and another teacher (a Mormon)  was interviewed by a white guy. Our contracts were different, too. He had to work Saturdays, I didn't and he also got less pay. I just went over my contract step-by-step with the manager. I think you shouldn't consider anything less than 3 million with your MBA, provided that you will prepare all of your classes well because if you're a lazy teacher, no matter how 'cute' or 'fun' you are in class, you will get that one student with that annoyed look and before you know it, you are in the 1 student left death spiral.

It's a business after all and adults can enroll last-minute and be gone the next month. Just remember it's illegal for them to send you out to teach somewhere else, even to another branch. (I was sent out to kyobo for a month, unaware that it was illegal for me to do so.)

Thanks for the link...I don't mind the prep and stress comes with any job. Since I want a more professional environment, I expect it to be more work that usually comes along with more pay. I already get up quite early since I am a morning person, its the late evening work that would effect me more.  Thanks again for the info! I don't think it will hurt to apply to see what happens.

• Cohort 2019
  • Adventurer

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 06:46:41 pm »
You seem to be a lovely teacher and with such a business background you'll do well. Perhaps you should also consider other options, because your skill set makes you a bit over-qualified to be working in Korea. Most ESL teachers just 'fake it' but you'd be able to really draw on your experience.
incumbo studiis

• Cmorgan
  • Waygookin

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 03:19:10 pm »
You seem to be a lovely teacher and with such a business background you'll do well. Perhaps you should also consider other options, because your skill set makes you a bit over-qualified to be working in Korea. Most ESL teachers just 'fake it' but you'd be able to really draw on your experience.

Thanks, I appreciate that! I'll look at other countries too when the time comes.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2019, 05:04:40 pm »
yeah i don't think korea's very good if you want to teach adults, unless you have an F visa. i'd look into other countries too, if i were you