Read 179 times

• zoey08
  • Newgookin

• August 16, 2019, 06:01:38 am
    • South Korea
Hello from Yeosu
« on: August 16, 2019, 06:11:33 am »
Just starting to get ready to start teaching in Yeosu. If anyone has any advice let me know :)

Re: Hello from Yeosu
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 03:19:53 am »
 My own feeling is that you can check out Facebook pages for people living in Yeosu, and check out on Facebook if there are Facebook groups for the public school teachers who came through the JLP Programme. You can also do the same for Jeollanamdo, and check out MeetUp groups for that province too. By this time you may have done that. If you were at a public school orientation, you should have made sure to get the contact details of all the people there, especially those going to Yeosu. There may or may not be a bar for foreign teachers to go to. Such places sometimes serve as a point of contact and source of information. Some small cities have a warm close-knit foreigner community, and that was worth encouraging. When I was there, in 2013, it was rather hard to meet people, though. Things may have changed, however. Places worth visiting include Heungguksa Temple on one of the islands near Yeosu. Also Gomeundo, one of the far away islands can be reached from Yeosu, as can Jeju-do. A friend of mine really enjoyed his trip to Geomundo, but I had to do summer camp. Yeosu is famous for sea food restaurants. I found some near Baek pyeongwon in the Yeoseodong area and the sashimi was really delicious. But each to his own. For trips away, I usually used the Bus Terminal across from E-Mart. The main KTX Station was next to the sea and a lot further from my home. If you are based in the Yeocheon area of Yeosu, it's further still. But it has a railway station and that would connect you to the KTX.

If ever you try cooking Korean food, you could go to Seo-shijang (West Market Place), near the sea in Yeosu, because it has tons of stuff, which can be cheap or expensive. Maangchi is a good website to go to for ideas on Korean cooking. I made some nice Korean dishes.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 07:26:27 am »

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 01:17:58 pm »
Just starting to get ready to start teaching in Yeosu. If anyone has any advice let me know :)
Welcome to Yeosu!

PM me if you'd like me to put you in touch with some expats here.

• Cohort 2019
  • Adventurer

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 05:49:23 am »
Oh dear...good luck if it is at that hagwon...
incumbo studiis