Read 703 times

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
Instead of being able to receive tax refunds as usual, ever since Trump's tax reform, truckers must now fork over thousands of dollars in owed taxes over 2018. As a double whammy, trade has dropped dramatically which has meant less income for truckers as well.

These guys trusted Trump and now some will lose their livelihoods and homes...

People being screwed over:

US Farmers
US Steel workers
the unemployed

People getting paid handsomely:
high income (Democrats in San Francisco )

vote Trump 2222!
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

Depending on what tax bracket you are and what kind of job you work, your taxes will either be taken out directly of your paycheck or you'll pay them at the end of the year.

The money the truckers have to fork over is money that would have been paid in taxes regardless. However, the total amount paid under Trump's plan is lower. You just have to pay it all at once instead of having taken out.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Depending on what tax bracket you are and what kind of job you work, your taxes will either be taken out directly of your paycheck or you'll pay them at the end of the year.

The money the truckers have to fork over is money that would have been paid in taxes regardless. However, the total amount paid under Trump's plan is lower. You just have to pay it all at once instead of having taken out.
The total amount was not lower for much of the middle class. And now he wants to give the rich another tax cut (on capital gains) after the first one failed.

Bread and circuses is what this guy is all about.

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea

The total amount was not lower for much of the middle class. And now he wants to give the rich another tax cut (on capital gains) after the first one failed.

GG: Which Democrat candidate are you backing right now?

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul

None yet. I'm not a fan of Biden because I think his ideas are old and will not solve today's problems. Warren makes a lot of sense and is a fighter for the common American. Her Medicare for all would have to be scaled back. Right now she's my favorite. Castro has been pretty impressive, Booker less so.

Steyer will shake things up but he's a one-trick pony--the economy.

Most important thing is who can energize voters and get them to the polls. Winning the Senate is important if progressive legislation  is to be passed.

Hopefully some people will start waking up to the fact that trump is bankrupting the government and that Medicare and SS are in real danger if he is reelected. Not to mention the environment, worker's rights and more.

• Cohort 2019
  • Adventurer

• August 17, 2019, 08:09:23 pm
    • 90S.- 0'E
    more

The money the truckers have to fork over is money that would have been paid in taxes regardless.

No, he robbed them of their lunches and other deductibles to the tune of $7000 a year.
incumbo studiis

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea

None yet. I'm not a fan of Biden because I think his ideas are old and will not solve today's problems. Warren makes a lot of sense and is a fighter for the common American. Her Medicare for all would have to be scaled back. Right now she's my favorite. Castro has been pretty impressive, Booker less so.

Most important thing is who can energize voters and get them to the polls. Winning the Senate is important if progressive legislation  is to be passed.

Hopefully some people will start waking up to the fact that trump is bankrupting the government and that Medicare and SS are in real danger if he is reelected. Not to mention the environment, worker's rights and more.

I'm surprised you didn't mention Andrew Yang. Biden and Warren are old school, and career politicians.  Yang is someone people are excited to talk about, and likely the only real hope for the Democrats to defeat Trump.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul

I'm surprised you didn't mention Andrew Yang. Biden and Warren are old school, and career politicians.  Yang is someone people are excited to talk about, and likely the only real hope for the Democrats to defeat Trump.
Yang has some good ideas but so do Jay Inslee, Blasio and Castro. I don't know if any of them have what it takes to break through nationally. Possibly Castro.

I don't see Warren as old school. She's a true progressive.

Democrats: "Climate Change is threatening the planet. It's an issue of survival!"
*Jay Inslee runs on Climate Change platform*
Democrats:  "We're not backing him. He's a boring old white guy."

:rolleyes:

• kberger
  • Adventurer

• September 09, 2010, 10:05:48 pm
    • Wisconsin
I became a truck driver after leaving Korea several years ago.
I remember back in 2016 when I always kept the cb on, I thought I was in an alternate universe.  I would watch some MSNBC or other media, and Trump was a joke.  Among the old white guys gabbing on the cb, Trump was going to win for sure.  By the way, the people who talk on the cb the most are southern white guys. 
It is hard to make many generalizations of truckers.  The few unionized teamsters out there probably vote Democrat.  However, many unionized trucking companies have gone bankrupt and the pensions were underfunded.  Many bitter old fart teamsters probably went for Trump in 2016.  Democrats sometimes say they will help blue collar workers through unions, but I don't think truckers believe that. 
These days, we all know that trucking is about to be crushed by driverless vehicles.  This is a huge problem, I'll paraphrase what Andrew Yang said to Anderson Cooper: truckers are more likely to punch you in the face than sign up for retraining.  I think a lot of truckers are planning on applying for social security disability.

Some truckers might not like Trump, but I don't think they are eager to vote Democrat.     
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 09:15:08 pm by kberger »

• Cohort 2019
  • Adventurer

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
This is great, you are very clear to the source.
Do you also have to pay more taxes now because your food deductibles were stolen away by Trump, or was it fake news?
incumbo studiis

• kberger
  • Adventurer

• Wisconsin
I always do my taxes around April 14th.  Um, yeah, I procrastinate.  I have heard some do.  I am not sure that I do.  I do not think it is a big deal.  A year ago, truckers were probably doing quite well.  Maybe it is part trade war, but for sure just cycles of the business, trucking is not paying some people as well as last year.  For the past two years, I have  delivered food to restaurants, often in the middle of the night.  It's not really a normal trucking job, so I am a little out of touch with others. 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
So what youre saying is...a bunch of people who voted for the party that is gutting the hell out of welfare and social services, are planning to apply for the SAME services?

• Cohort 2019
  • Adventurer

• 90S.- 0'E
    more
No mate, Trump promised them at a rally, that they were going to save ''sooooo much money'' with the new Trump Tax reform, much more than under Obama. And they ... haha ... believed him!  8)

And then he did a Trump flip on them: Who dis? New phone.

Personal exemptions were taken away.
In 2017, you could take a $4,050 deduction for yourself, $4,050 deduction for your spouse, AND $4,050 deduction for any dependents. That added up if you had a big family.
incumbo studiis

• kberger
  • Adventurer

• Wisconsin
So what you’re saying is...a bunch of people who voted for the party that is gutting the hell out of welfare and social services, are planning to apply for the SAME services?

That is a way of looking at it. 

After looking into this a little, it seems that truckers who itemized deductions on their returns can't claim per diem as a deduction on their tax return.  I imagine that would hit the drivers who own their own trucks.  That would probably be about 350,000 people. 

I am not very optimistic about what will happen to people that lose their jobs to technology.  In Wisconsin for example, dairy farms have to be huge factory farms with a lot of automation.  The small dairy farmer has been wiped out.  There have been some suicides, I can't find a number for how many, but it has been happening.  With truck drivers, I can't picture some of those fat slobs getting retrained to become nurses or something.  Some will become mechanics or something, but I dunno.   

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Democrats: "Climate Change is threatening the planet. It's an issue of survival!"
*Jay Inslee runs on Climate Change platform*
Democrats:  "We're not backing him. He's a boring old white guy."

:rolleyes:
Donald Trump: Global warming is a hoax perpet prepeti made by the Chinese.
Republicans:
Planet Earth: *edges toward human oblivion*