Read 272 times

new health insurance law?
« on: August 13, 2019, 11:14:49 am »
I've been told twice now by the NHIC helpline that with the new law, foreigners can't receive health insurance until they've been in the country for six months. Does anyone have more information about this? They can't seem to explain it to me fully each time I asked. I haven't seen anyone else talking about this. And would this have any effect on pension? At first I thought my hagwon was stealing money and lying about health/pension because online it said I wasn't signed up for either. But now I'm not sure if it's this new law.

Re: new health insurance law?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 11:27:22 am »
https://minwon.nhis.or.kr/static/html/wbma/k/wbmak0101_eng01_pop01.html

im pretty sure that applies to foreigners that haven't been signed up yet.  it forces them to get on insurance if they haven't been insured for 6 months or more.

https://www.nhis.or.kr/static/html/wbd/g/a/wbdga0602.html

as an employee, you should be insured when you are hired

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 04:18:35 pm »
Similar to what tanis62458 said, I know that in my situation as an independent contractor I was required to sign up for insurance if I had resided in Korea for 6 months or else I would be mandatorily subscribed. But as a full-time employee you should be receiving it from your employer.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 07:21:54 pm »
Okay, that's what I had originally thought, too. But each time I call, they ask which visa I'm on (E2), how long I was out of Korea (2 years), and when did i return to Korea (in April). And they still say I have to wait 6 months. I'm not sure who to go to next, perhaps I have to just visit a NHIC office? Because I also can't seem to find anyone else experiencing this.

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 09:33:07 pm »
I guess the waiting period applies to all types of workers. They're doing this to reduce the risk of foreigners who might abuse the system. It used to be 3 months but seems like they recently extended it.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 08:39:01 pm »
i'm curious as to why no new or returning foreigners on E2 visas have mentioned anything about this online. the rules on the website state that employed workers can be insured with work and then other foreigners are affected by the new rule, so wouldn't E2 visas be categorized as insured by employers? it's not very clear, which is why i'm just gonna go down to one of the offices.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 03:14:42 am »
i'm curious as to why no new or returning foreigners on E2 visas have mentioned anything about this online. the rules on the website state that employed workers can be insured with work and then other foreigners are affected by the new rule, so wouldn't E2 visas be categorized as insured by employers? it's not very clear, which is why i'm just gonna go down to one of the offices.

Thatís been my understanding.