• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
Angelina Jolie s son goes to Yonsei
« on: August 11, 2019, 02:03:54 am »
Angelina Jolie son will attend Yonsei

Angelina Jolie Is 'Very Proud' Son Maddox Will Attend South Korean University for Biochemistry.
Maddox Jolie-Pitt is starting classes in Yonsei University in South Korea this month.

https://people.com/movies/angelina-jolie-maddox-attending-south-korean-university/

But...really why Korea? Aren't US unis much, much and I mean much better? I've attended some courses there and it wasn't 'great' to say the least, simply because the students are so quiet and disengaged. There was 0 talking and no questions asked during class.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 06:18:18 am by HappyPlanetAbuser »
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

Re: Angelina Jolie s son goes to Yonsei
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 07:50:51 am »
I guess he really wants to spend 4 years mainlining soju and yelling loudly while playing Starcraft.

(Source: I lived next door to some Korean university students in a flat with paper-thin walls. It was not a good time.)
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 08:11:31 am »
I guess he couldn't get into KAIST or SNU.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 10:24:37 am »
everyone i know who studied at a korean uni says it's a complete shit show. anyone got any stories?

someone i know says plagiarism is rife and hard work isn't actually rewarded. most students just copy and paste from the internet or pay someone to do it for them; nobody actually does their own work

• stoat
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 10:54:35 am »
everyone i know who studied at a korean uni says it's a complete shit show. anyone got any stories?

someone i know says plagiarism is rife and hard work isn't actually rewarded. most students just copy and paste from the internet or pay someone to do it for them; nobody actually does their own work

People can pay for essays online and submit them at any university these days without being caught. Copying and pasting would be a bit more difficult, as presumably they have software to catch people out. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 12:53:55 pm »
apparently they don't really use plagiarism checkers here. that's what i've heard, anyway

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 05:15:18 pm »
Well, judging by what I've seen I'm guessing he wanted to come here
1) To study overseas and experience a different culture
2) Is probably some Kpop/Kgaming/Kmovie/Kdrama fan

As far as admissions and such, the US just had a huge college admissions scandal that led to people getting fraudulent admissions to prestigious universities and USC and involved some celebrities. Not to mention the utter joke that is college athletics.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 07:29:13 pm »
He has been studying Korean, according to the link.

So he will at least benefit hugely in his language skills.

Absurd is wasting 4 years at a university in Toledo, Ohio getting a degree in Japanese Culture.

He'll speak the language a lot better and have a lot of fun, if Korean uni is as slack as its described around here.

That's a success.

He doesn't have to worry about money. His mother's net worth is $160 million. And then there's dad...

So, chase your passions. It could result in an unexpected career, like communications director for Kumho Tire operations in Birmingham, England, or simply be a few interesting years overseas, returning home at age 22 more experienced in life with career aspirations yet to come.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 10:45:37 am »

I doubt this is true at Yonsei. Even at the lower tier universities it still seems a stretch to say "nobody actually does their own work."

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 07:23:33 pm »
It would appear he's both lazy and dumb and wants a cheap easy degree he can cheat his way through.

• fruitloops
  • Adventurer

• July 22, 2019, 12:00:41 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 09:02:58 am »
It's because Korea is the hottest trend in the world right now.  As a foreigner, he'll become an instant celebrity here and he'll be invited to every variety show as a guest, have thousands of korean girls ogle at his ability to speak fluent korean, have tv ads/print, probably get a few parts on kdrama shows and movies....who wouldn't want that kind of attention simply for being a foreigner in korea (especially, one from America and one with such high profile background).

Korea's vanity + the novelty of english speaking foreigners who speak fluent korean = match made in heaven (for now, until the korean people wise up and mature  and realize soon that english people are not that special.

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 10:04:33 am »
It's because Korea is the hottest trend in the world right now.  As a foreigner, he'll become an instant celebrity here and he'll be invited to every variety show as a guest, have thousands of korean girls ogle at his ability to speak fluent korean, have tv ads/print, probably get a few parts on kdrama shows and movies....who wouldn't want that kind of attention simply for being a foreigner in korea (especially, one from America and one with such high profile background).

Korea's vanity + the novelty of english speaking foreigners who speak fluent korean = match made in heaven (for now, until the korean people wise up and mature  and realize soon that english people are not that special.

Admin can we have a like or upvote feature? because this right here is the truth. 

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 11:47:00 am »
Considering he's of Asian background, he's probably not going to get the whole "Wow you can speak Korean" treatment. It'll more just be straight Jolie-ness.

Anyways, it's a good move if he wants to get into K-pop and Asian entertainment. Come here, network, scout out business opportunities. Yonsei is a decent place to set up shop and branch out from. It's not like he's missing out on anything by being in Yonsei instead of Cal or UNC if he wants to get into East Asian entertainment. Although reports are he's here to study Biochem, which might be questionable if it isn't related to the cosmetic/facelift fields.

He just needs to learn that he'll be under a microscope and a target for scammers, which I'm sure he understands given his family.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 11:48:46 am »
He has been studying Korean, according to the link.

So he will at least benefit hugely in his language skills.

Absurd is wasting 4 years at a university in Toledo, Ohio getting a degree in Japanese Culture.

He'll speak the language a lot better and have a lot of fun, if Korean uni is as slack as its described around here.

That's a success.

He doesn't have to worry about money. His mother's net worth is $160 million. And then there's dad...

yeah, fair points.