Read 1542 times

• plan b
  • Super Waygook

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
Re: YouTubers caught recommending illegal camping
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 02:36:53 pm »
Can you imagine how much garbage would be left in areas like this by Koreans?
Koreans really don't understand the concept of "taking out what you bring in" and "leaving no trace", which is essential when you are camping in the forest, especially in an area that is not a designated campground.

Koreans love to toss their trash on the floor. In this case, there are no old people to clean up after them. The place would be filthy. Koreans need strict rules for camping.

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 03:26:00 pm »
I agree with those things because they just involve personal risk. On the other hand, camping in certain areas, particularly those set aside for conservation or other factors, causes damage beyond just self-inflicted injury.  There's also issues with fire risk, litter, contamination, etc.

There's lots of public camping spots. Why not just obey the law and camp there?

I totally disagree here.
Why? Remember, YOU are not the representative of the entire population they have to consider. They have to make a systems-level decision, not a decision based on SPQR who feels he's perfectly qualified to camp anywhere. They have to engage in risk-management and deal with a budget. Designating camp sites allows the government to focus efforts on selected areas, enabling things like cleanup, safety protocol, services, transportation infrastructure, etc.

The problem is that everyone in the world thinks they're perfectly qualified to camp anywhere and won't do anything wrong. However the number of people that believe this and the number of people it's actually true for is significantly different. And unless you yourself are an expert in the area you are camping, the ecosystem, and everything else, this probably isn't YOU, no matter how much you've convinced yourself that it is you. In fact, since you seem to be unaware that this could be you or are dismissive of the errors you yourself personally could commit, this strongly suggests that you are the kind of person who would cause the very problems that regulations seek to ameliorate. "I don't make mistakes, that's everyone else" is generally a good sign that the person actually makes a number of mistakes.

Do you think there should be ZERO restrictions on where to camp? I would think that a more rational answer would be to possibly considering expanding the number of public camping sites or to identify areas that might draw interest and establishing campgrounds there, rather than having all government land open to the public.

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 03:49:11 pm »
Laws are not enforced in Korea. Koreans know this so they do whatever they want.

I don't think this is the case at all. Try smoking dope in Korea.  Or driving drunk.  You
will find PDQ about enforcement.  The thing about this wild camping is that Koreans
realize it is a retarded law. Moreover, it is in the country where there  are less police.
Add to that the paltry fine, KRW100,000.

There's no dope in Korea to smoke. Koreans drive drunk all the time. Koreans drive badly because they think they can get away with it. Put them in another country where they know the laws are enforced, and they will drive much better (usually). The police in Korea really only exist to make recommendations to insurance companies about who's at fault for the many traffic accidents.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 04:37:55 pm »
yeah. no consequences to actions. also why you get a load of older dickhead manchildren here - they know nobody will question their behaviour, so they can do whatever they want

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2019, 06:14:15 pm »
Pretty much all government-owned land will have areas open for public camping and areas which are restricted. If it isn't government-owned, it's private property and then you need the owner's permission.

This exists in pretty much every country around the world. It exists for good reasons, namely idiots, slobs, and wannabe Grizzly Adamses who end up creating a bunch of hassles.

Camping on unposted Crown land is completely legal in Canada.  Most Is unposted. There is a lot of it!

Im curious how much of that unposted land is Baffin of Ellsmere Island or Nunavut/NW Teritories where there's no one and nothing save for some local inuit and BBC filmers. I imagine things might be different as population density and popularity increases.

For example, Yellowstone in the US has designated camping areas.

Yes, parks, by their nature, have restricted use.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2019, 06:30:04 pm »
besides, i don't think the problem is that there are designated camping areas, it's the lameness of these camping sites. korean camping isn't really camping (as we know it), it's just... sleeping in a tent

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2019, 08:19:03 am »
By my understanding of Korean law, this illegal camping statute applies only to
provincial parks.

If you look at the the main background picture here(https://wikitravel.org/en/Muui-do),
and the section on "Sleep", you can apparently set up anywhere you want.

I think it is poor quality news reporting that entails not researching a topic properly
that started this question.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:24:13 am by SPQR »

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2019, 03:11:59 pm »
I've never understood camping and I cannot figure out why someone would willingly sleep in a tent. The only fun about this is the illegal part!

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2019, 04:44:28 pm »
I've never understood camping and I cannot figure out why someone would willingly sleep in a tent. The only fun about this is the illegal part!
I guess hiking you don't understand either. Or mountain climbing. Or walking through a forest. Or mountain biking.

But you understand sitting in an underground train car for several hours a month, eh?

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2019, 11:08:07 am »
I guess hiking you don't understand either. Or mountain climbing. Or walking through a forest. Or mountain biking.

But you understand sitting in an underground train car for several hours a month, eh?

Not sure where this train of logic stems from - pun intended. It's way off base and camping has nothing to do with a walk through the jungle/forest or going for a bike ride.

As for mountain climbing...in Korea??? surely you jest. I lived in Alberta and BC for years. There are no mountains in Korea.

« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2019, 12:04:48 pm »
I lived in Alberta and BC for years. There are no mountains in Korea.
:rolleyes:

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2019, 01:20:07 pm »
Wow, is this shit for real?  What a lame country.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190805000454

I think there were signs and they were trespassing.    Korea does get lame with rules.  If he is charged not for youtubing but for trespassing, then it's fair game.  If charged for youtubing, then it's lame cause you have to respect free speech. 

But, I would just camp in the off season or have a campfire then and shut up about it.  (No youtubing.)  Korean overzelous rule NAZI's are lame anyhow.  Camping in summer going to the beach, etc.  After Chuseok, weekends off the beaten track, camping on a beach, setting up last minute after getting dark.  But bring your own food and water.  I once heard of some locals going collective like a communist and refusing to sell to some kids illegally camping on an Island beach. 

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2019, 01:37:54 pm »

Going by his fitness routine (see other thread) of walking to the fridge to get beer and watching his dogs attack and chase animals, I'd put my money on "tough guy" over here being unable to summit the pile of BS he spews, let alone a single mountain in Korea or Canada.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2019, 12:07:23 pm »

Going by his fitness routine (see other thread) of walking to the fridge to get beer and watching his dogs attack and chase animals, I'd put my money on "tough guy" over here being unable to summit the pile of BS he spews, let alone a single mountain in Korea or Canada.

I have nothing to prove anymore. You know, having done it all when most of you were in diapers. I've earned my time.

PS There are no mountains in Korea. I was skiing the alps of Europe in '67. What were you doing?

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2019, 03:04:30 pm »

I have nothing to prove anymore. You know, having done it all when most of you were in diapers. I've earned my time.

PS There are no mountains in Korea. I was skiing the alps of Europe in '67. What were you doing?