Read 2435 times

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
Re: Be careful driving in the rain
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2019, 04:33:30 pm »
Found this. This is me driving to work one morning in Korea. Just had 4 new all season radials put on.

This is how Canadians handle snowy driving...like a pro!  Just another drive to work in the Great White North.

The guy putting chains on was a Korean teacher and the ladies at 1:50 with umbrellas were as well.

How do you handle winter driving?

If it's bad out I would avoid driving, if possible.

I've seen how terribly Koreans drive in dry conditions. Would hate to drive near them if its snowy and icey.

Did you watch the video? Would you drive in that? It's not at all difficult if you have good tires and an ability, something nobody I worked with did.
Normal winter driving in Alberta. And a bunch of us do it with mere all-seasons. I guess the one thing that may be different at home is that the roads probably would already have been sanded at least once already.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2019, 07:19:04 pm »
Found this. This is me driving to work one morning in Korea. Just had 4 new all season radials put on.

This is how Canadians handle snowy driving...like a pro!  Just another drive to work in the Great White North.

The guy putting chains on was a Korean teacher and the ladies at 1:50 with umbrellas were as well.

How do you handle winter driving?

If it's bad out I would avoid driving, if possible.

I've seen how terribly Koreans drive in dry conditions. Would hate to drive near them if its snowy and icey.

Did you watch the video? Would you drive in that? It's not at all difficult if you have good tires and an ability, something nobody I worked with did.

I am confident in my own driving ability. It's the other Koreans who I don't want to share a road with in more dangerous conditions.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2019, 09:44:59 pm »
Just wanted to relay an experience I had today watching Korean drivers from my apartment window that builds on my thinking that Koreans are naturally terrible drivers.

My apartment is close to a fire station (119) so almost daily I can see the fire trucks or ambulances respond to calls. Numerous times I've seen shitty drivers not letting them through the intersection that's nearby but today takes the cake.

Was watching the ambulance approach the intersection, light is red but it wants to go through (emergency and all). Traffic is light about 2 cars deep stopped on a four lane road. Ambulance is in the second lane. What proceeds is a total clusterf@ck of incompetence. Car in the first lane moves forward into the crosswalk for no reason but the ambulance can't change lane. First car in the ambulance's lane moves forward into lane 3 which somehow scares the car in lane 4 to also move forward.

So, we're making some space and all that's needed is the next car in the ambulance's lane to roll forward to lane 1 or lane 3 thus allowing the ambulance the gap in lane 2 to get by. But that car keeps going forward into the crosswalk and now we've got 4 cars all in the crosswalk parallel to each other with an ambulance still stuck behind. Had to wait for the light to change to green to finally get past those retarded drivers.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 09:46:39 pm by Savant »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2019, 04:00:02 am »
Some are ignorant of local habits.

As a Canadian driving on Korean roads for the last decade plus in my Korando jeep: I appreciate:

1. The lack of hot doggin' here (back home there's crazy fast 'n furious **** by young men);

2. The judicious use of the horn to warn others of dangerous situations (back home the only practical use of the horn is the psychological benefit of venting road rage);

3. The lack of parking etiquette means i have no problem jumping curbs to park downtown for quick jaunts into shops with zero fear of tickets.

That said, i used to whine about taxis and buses owning the road, long haul truckers with death wishes, last second brake-slammin' at corners, etc. Though, one gets used to such behaviors and adapt accordingly.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2019, 07:46:17 am »

It's not ignorance. One can pick up on these "local habits" within 12 hours of driving here. It's just that the habits are so shockingly brainless and cretinous that it beggars belief.

As a Canadian driving on Korean roads for the last decade plus in my Korando jeep: I appreciate:

Oh?! Do you own a Korando?

2. The judicious use of the horn to warn others of dangerous situations (back home the only practical use of the horn is the psychological benefit of venting road rage);

Because generally, in many countries outside Korea, drivers are expected to take responsibility for their own actions while driving. Instead of "hey i'm running a red light , but im blasting my horn, so watch out!."

3. The lack of parking etiquette means i have no problem jumping curbs to park downtown for quick jaunts into shops with zero fear of tickets.
Can't remember exactly, but weren't you the guy saying proudly that you dont pay traffic fines? A good start would not be parking on the sidewalk. Also, you're always letting everyone know that you live in a small farming town. Is it really necessary to drive and park on the sidewalk when the town can be walked end to end in 10 minutes?

There is a lot of stuff that gets complained about here that i dont always agree with, but the general driving standard in Korea is something that cant be defended. If you truly have no problem with it then it just means you are a terrible driver too. It's not just that laissez-faire attitude thats the problem, its that many people seem to lack basic driving skills, like driving in a straight line, stopping on a line without going over, the ability to merge with moving traffic, spatial awareness etc. These are day one skills for drivers that seem to be absent in a large section of the driving population.

And you can try the "well I've adapted to the local driving culture and so now its fine", again it just means you are and probably always were, a bad driver. When you are in command of a ton or more of steel and glass, moving at speed, its not the time for the live and let live spiel. You are as responsible for the safety of those around you as much as for yourself.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2019, 08:33:07 am »

It's not ignorance. One can pick up on these "local habits" within 12 hours of driving here. It's just that the habits are so shockingly brainless and cretinous that it beggars belief.

Oh?! Do you own a Korando?

Because generally, in many countries outside Korea, drivers are expected to take responsibility for their own actions while driving. Instead of "hey i'm running a red light , but im blasting my horn, so watch out!."

Can't remember exactly, but weren't you the guy saying proudly that you dont pay traffic fines? A good start would not be parking on the sidewalk. Also, you're always letting everyone know that you live in a small farming town. Is it really necessary to drive and park on the sidewalk when the town can be walked end to end in 10 minutes?

There is a lot of stuff that gets complained about here that i dont always agree with, but the general driving standard in Korea is something that cant be defended. If you truly have no problem with it then it just means you are a terrible driver too. It's not just that laissez-faire attitude thats the problem, its that many people seem to lack basic driving skills, like driving in a straight line, stopping on a line without going over, the ability to merge with moving traffic, spatial awareness etc. These are day one skills for drivers that seem to be absent in a large section of the driving population.

And you can try the "well I've adapted to the local driving culture and so now its fine", again it just means you are and probably always were, a bad driver. When you are in command of a ton or more of steel and glass, moving at speed, its not the time for the live and let live spiel. You are as responsible for the safety of those around you as much as for yourself.

:-*

Yes, the same guy who said he just ignored his parking tickets and traffic fines.  If you move to a country that has traffic and driving standards lower than what you've learned and practiced your whole life, you don't then suddenly think it's okay to do stupid stuff because of 'local habits' that you've adapted to.  That's not how it works. 

I've been driving here for years and almost daily, in my small city, I still shake my head at some of the antics of the locals.  On my way to work, there are traffic lights, and on most days there are impatient, stupid people who just drive through all of these lights and by the time they get into the city they have to stop at some lights on a bigger junction.  The thing is, I wait at all the lights and still by the time they get to these lights in the city, I am behind them.  There is no reason to think you'll get there quicker by driving through all the lights.  At 7am the traffic into the city is sparse, there is no extra benefit to dangerous driving like that, because it's just, well, just dangerous. 

Also, as a point of fact, showing off or 'hot doggin' is incredibly difficult in an automatic, especially a Sonata automatic. 

Korando!!  Hell Yeah!!!

Filth!