Read 1539 times

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
YouTubers caught recommending illegal camping
« on: August 07, 2019, 08:38:59 am »
Wow, is this shit for real?  What a lame country.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190805000454

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
Re: YouTubers caught recommending illegal camping
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 10:47:07 am »
Wow, is this shit for real?  What a lame country.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190805000454

Yeah well, going by the absolute impunity to which litter over here, I support the government on this one.

Other than that, Korea will still be a place of mild thrills and an absence of adventure for quite a while.

• fruitloops
  • Adventurer

• July 22, 2019, 12:00:41 pm
    • Gyeonggi-do
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 11:21:49 am »
give them a break.  Youtube in Korea is a relatively new thing.  It just started taking off around 2012-2013ish and if you see all the famous korean youtubers, they are all only 1-3 years old in channel age.

I'm seeing them do the same pranks, niche videos that American youtubers did back in the early days....let them grow out of it and work out the kinks.  Yes, a lot of it is stupid but so was a lot of youtubers in America (and still).  I don't see how it's any different.  Just a case of one side pointing fingers at the other, when in fact, you're no different.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 12:26:03 pm »
I dont think he means the youtubers are lame. I think he means the country is, for not allowing camping outside of preapproved camp grounds.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 07:39:06 pm »
Pretty much all government-owned land will have areas open for public camping and areas which are restricted. If it isn't government-owned, it's private property and then you need the owner's permission.

This exists in pretty much every country around the world. It exists for good reasons, namely idiots, slobs, and wannabe Grizzly Adamses who end up creating a bunch of hassles.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 08:01:30 pm »
Pretty much all government-owned land will have areas open for public camping and areas which are restricted. If it isn't government-owned, it's private property and then you need the owner's permission.

This exists in pretty much every country around the world. It exists for good reasons, namely idiots, slobs, and wannabe Grizzly Adamses who end up creating a bunch of hassles.

Camping on unposted Crown land is completely legal in Canada.  Most Is unposted. There is a lot of it!

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 10:33:50 pm »
But park your car anywhere you want.

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 05:58:53 am »
Laws are not enforced in Korea. Koreans know this so they do whatever they want.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• Canada
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2019, 07:51:53 am »
Laws are not enforced in Korea. Koreans know this so they do whatever they want.

I don't think this is the case at all. Try smoking dope in Korea.  Or driving drunk.  You
will find PDQ about enforcement.  The thing about this wild camping is that Koreans
realize it is a retarded law. Moreover, it is in the country where there  are less police.
Add to that the paltry fine, KRW100,000.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 07:59:33 am by SPQR »

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2019, 08:02:32 am »
Now this explains why my "Summer English Camp" playlist was flagged by youtube and I was given  strike....Seemed odd until I read this.
save $5 on iherb by using discount code TCB077  !

1. Be good 2. Be nice  3. Be clean

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• Canada
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 08:13:40 am »
Now this explains why my "Summer English Camp" playlist was flagged by youtube and I was given  strike....Seemed odd until I read this.

URL?

• stoat
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 08:24:00 am »

It's funny. If Fox News / Tucker Carlson / Trump said this about Mexicans you'd be shouting they were all fascists/white supremacists.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:27:23 am by stoat »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 11:08:05 am »
Laws are not enforced in Korea...
... until they are.

The number of unenforced laws on the the books makes taking somebody down very easy!

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 11:29:01 am »

Camping on unposted Crown land is completely legal in Canada.  Most Is unposted. There is a lot of it!

Im curious how much of that unposted land is Baffin of Ellsmere Island or Nunavut/NW Teritories where there's no one and nothing save for some local inuit and BBC filmers. I imagine things might be different as population density and popularity increases.

For example, Yellowstone in the US has designated camping areas.

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 11:34:38 am »
I don't think this is the case at all. Try smoking dope in Korea.  Or driving drunk.  You
will find PDQ about enforcement.  The thing about this wild camping is that Koreans
realize it is a retarded law. Moreover, it is in the country where there  are less police.
It's "retarded" until someone goes into a place that has been set aside for EDIT- conservation and accidentally starts a forest fire.

The paltry fine gives authorities discretion in handling violators. For civil infractions they can be given a warning instead of criminal charges. Seems pretty reasonable to me. Especially in comparison to the juvenile view that there's no reason to have such regulations and the amount of the fine.

Also, wtf was I thinking with "confrontation"..maybe that was auto-complete.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 01:38:16 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 12:48:26 pm »
It's "retarded" until someone goes into a place that has been set aside for confrontation and accidentally starts a forest fire.

The paltry fine gives authorities discretion in handling violators. For civil infractions they can be given a warning instead of criminal charges. Seems pretty reasonable to me. Especially in comparison to the juvenile view that there's no reason to have such regulations and the amount of the fine.
i see your point, but korea is a bit of a nanny state. you could also say that for anything.

don't swim - you might need to be rescued
wear a lifejacket at water parks (even in shallow water) - is it worth risking someone dying?
don't walk on the escalator - you might trip and fall

sometimes you gotta let people have a bit of freedom. it's also amusing how certain things are strictly enforced, yet other laws (especially road-related) are completely ignored

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• Canada
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 01:06:10 pm »
i see your point, but korea is a bit of a nanny state. you could also say that for anything.

don't swim - you might need to be rescued
wear a lifejacket at water parks (even in shallow water) - is it worth risking someone dying?
don't walk on the escalator - you might trip and fall

sometimes you gotta let people have a bit of freedom. it's also amusing how certain things are strictly enforced, yet other laws (especially road-related) are completely ignored

I totally agree here.

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 01:40:17 pm »
I agree with those things because they just involve personal risk. On the other hand, camping in certain areas, particularly those set aside for conservation or other factors, causes damage beyond just self-inflicted injury.  There's also issues with fire risk, litter, contamination, etc.

There's lots of public camping spots. Why not just obey the law and camp there?

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• Canada
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 01:41:38 pm »
I agree with those things because they just involve personal risk. On the other hand, camping in certain areas, particularly those set aside for conservation or other factors, causes damage beyond just self-inflicted injury.  There's also issues with fire risk, litter, contamination, etc.

There's lots of public camping spots. Why not just obey the law and camp there?

I totally disagree here.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 01:47:02 pm »
it is probably one of those "a few spoiled it for everyone else" rules