Read 698 times

• seltow
  • Waygookin

• April 02, 2019, 11:16:13 am
    • South Korea
"Archaeology" Treasure Adventure. (Grd6 3day camp)
« on: August 06, 2019, 01:13:21 pm »
So I felt i should share this somewhere, I feel like it has gone down well so far.
I had to do everything from scratch, so woo, PPT skills are improving.

I'm hoping this shares well, the fonts are quite important, so please install those to use this, otherwise you may find the PPTs looking a bit odd or picking up fonts that are hard to read.

DAY 1: So I started the first day with the full breakdown of what archaeology is, and how it can be important in the studies of human history.

We then followed by a pottery design activity. For this i had my co-teacher order terracotta/clay pots for the students. This worked out because we were a very small group. (additionally if you have the budget and time get seeds and potting soil to plant something).
For larger groups on a budget I suggest buying about 5 pots and break them, dividing it amongst the students, they can then design their sherds, and maybe work in groups to put them back together.

DAY 2: We started off by attaching our photos to our workbooks, from there I explained the layout of our "obstacle" course/Temple run.

My layout was first start at the "stepping stones" which were words printed on paper, that were pasted on different colours. Students would pick a colour and step only on their coloured "stones". They would need to re-order the stones to make a sentence, which would instruct them on to the next obstacle.

The next obstacle would be to decipher a coded message using a decoding wheel.

Once that was figured out they had to go through a laser field which I made out of string tied around tables, chairs and wall hooks.

At the end of that there were towers where they had to leave their artefacts they had collected previously (At the coded message). The towers each had a prompt with a gem. Students had to pick up the gem, and do what the prompt asked (I used basic exercises, I did them with the students for the fun of it).

Next on a table I had a ball for each student and an instruction on how to move the ball across the table to another gem. This brought in some laughs as we did look a little silly.

I then taped a hopscotch layout on the floor which students had to follow in order to get to a little excavating exercise. At Daiso I found little Egyptian themed excavation kits for a \1000 each. However for larger groups you can look up many methods online on how to set up an excavation station from scratch fro cheap. (my recommendation would be a basic box filled with sand, a thickish paint brush, and a garden trowel (\1000 to \2000 at Daiso). Bury something in the soil and they need to carefully excavate it.
(for more advanced students you can make up a bag of clean garbage that students need to go through and figure out who the garbage belongs to, often used in actual archaeological practical studies)

At the end we counted up the gems (make sure you give each gem a score, students will randomly pick their own gems and determine their own scores), gave bonus points for various things and the highest score got a prize.

(I hope all that made sense, I'll post the stuff I used, feel free to make up your own course.)

Day 3: "Fossil" Sugar Cookies.
Most schools has microwave ovens, especial in the science class if not in the home economics classroom.
This recipe I use is very easy and does not require chilling either, it also colours really well if you want to use food colouring. It bakes fast and the only issue that may arise is your time span in which to execute the activity if your students take long to mix the ingredients.
(I used to bake this recipe with a two year old, if that's any indication on how easy it is).

At the end of the day I counted up bonus points, achievements, etc. collected over the 3 days and gave a little something to the students.

(Also sorry I have to send it in two posts, the main PPT seems to be a little large)

• seltow
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
Re: "Archaeology" Treasure Adventure. (Grd6 3day camp)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 01:23:02 pm »
FONTS:

• seltow
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 01:33:25 pm »
The Extras: PPT's, Things to print and cut out, The mini workbook, etc.

Feel free to edit as you feel fit :) I printed everything in colour since it just looked better, but i did have a smaller group.
There may be  a mistake or two, for that I'm sorry (x__x) (Dishonour on me and my family for that XD).
Anyway, yay, have fun.

(This camp can easily be adapted to middle or even High school with more advanced activities. For that I highly suggest looking at the PDF https://www.nts.org.uk/learn/downloads/archaeology/Would_You_Make_a_Good_Archaeologist_0611.pdf)

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 05:48:02 pm »
Thank you. I'm going to use this for my middle school classes I think, it seems too 'arts&crafty' for high school but I might be wrong. Looks like a lot of preparation work. Have you tried this yourself?
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

• seltow
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 09:42:18 am »
Hi yeah, I used it for an elementary camp, so the arty-crafty bit was encouraged, it worked really well and the kids seemed to have a great time. However as stated above if you check the link I added, you can get a lot more information and ideas to easily edit this for high school or even middle school level.
As for prep work, there was a bit yes, but i had some time haha. I provided all the stuff I used and you don't have to make it as neat as I did. The codes are pretty basic though as they were just for the "obstacle" course. You might want to take a look at those an maybe make them a bit longer for higher lever students. Overall it was just a lot of finding pictures and cutting out which took up most of my time. The Obstacle course I had to prep a little for as I only had 10mins to set it up on the day. However there are a tonne of super easy activities you can come up with by making use of your surroundings. (all in all though it was for Camp, so I did do some extra prep where I could)

A brilliant if somewhat odd activity for higher level students is the trash excavation activity. Essentially what you do is make up a bag or rubbish bin of trash (bearing in mind the kids will need to dig through it, so the best is to keep it clean trash).
Give each kid some gloves and have them sort through the trash. This gives them the opportunity to practice sorting methods used in Archaeological research as well formulate ideas on who the trash may have belonged to. They then need to present their findings at the end of class either in a spoken, or written form. This works really well in Group settings.
(We used to do this one in University) (a good idea to include in the trash are till receipts, torn up letters, torn 'documents' [don't have to be real], things relating to food [like ramen cups, or leftover packaging]  everyday items etc. you can get more complicated with older students and even have two or more peoples trash in one bag)

Another activity you can substitute a craft activity with, is an actual excavation. Set up a box filled with artefacts (these can be anything, but maybe since it's supposed to be English class, maybe have the artefacts contain codes or messages) and tightly packed sand. Give each student a trowel (Daiso has really cheap kids garden trowels), and a cheap throw away paintbrush. Have kids excavate the artefacts carefully, and piece together the story/message/clues/etc.

These are physical activities that has them practicing language skills with kinetic memory, as well as cognitive thinking, teaches them about Archaeology, and ultimately is fun, even for older students and adults. 

Unfortunately I do not have a PPT for you on those ideas, however I hope it helps nevertheless :) 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 09:53:47 am by seltow »

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 04:18:13 pm »
Oh, there are attachments, too? Maybe I'll sub soon.

artefacts contain codes or messages

Oh of course, that's a great idea!
language skills with kinetic memory
Yeah exactly, your lesson plan is really attractive.
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!