Read 839 times

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
How do you teach vocabulary?
« on: July 30, 2019, 02:06:56 pm »
I was reading a few segments about Kor. students not using dictionaries in the rant thread when it occurred to me that this might be interesting to ask to you all to learn more about how I can improve my new classes next year:

Is it important to teach vocabulary and how do you do it in your classes?

What's our role?
Are the students not using dictionaries because of the assignment or because of the teacher?
What is the effect?
Are students better off with or without dictionaries?

I've not used any word lists nor vocab. exercises other than in-class conversation in which I would deliberately use advanced vocabulary. They have all passed their exams, but there's room for improvement.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:12:03 pm by HappyPlanetAbuser »
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

Re: How do you teach vocabulary?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 02:30:56 am »
Teaching vocabulary is a semester-long graduate level course in TESOL departments, so it's not an answerable question in this format.

The best thing to do is refer to Professor Paul Nation, who is one of the world's foremost experts on vocabulary learning and teaching. The book that speaks most directly to your question is How Vocabulary Is Learned, co-authored by Paul Nation and Stuart Webb. For a broader discussion of a curriculum that facilitates vocabulary retention and use as well as improving proficiency in a foreign language in general, a good start is Nation's incredibly detailed and comprehensive  What Should Every EFL Teacher Know?

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 12:26:28 pm »
Thank you! This helps.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 08:43:11 am »
I'm in no way an expert on this subject, but what I've noticed from my experience (also depending on the class/student/coteacher), teaching the kids vocabulary makes it easier for them to understand what they're learning for that lesson. I do a word twinkler exercise in the beginning of each class. It's difficult for the first class, but after that, they will be able to recognize and know most of the words.

Last year, I did a mini warm up game with my 5th and 6th graders (my 5th graders had more fun with it compared to the 6th graders) where they had to come up with as many words as they can starting with a certain letter. The class with the most words would get a stamp. They were allowed to use the dictionary; HOWEVER, they also had to be able to tell me what it meant in Korean as well (this is where the Korean coteacher comes in). It really helped them and a few of them were happy to learn random new words lol.

• gotngoidea
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2012, 09:15:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 09:11:28 am »
I use a picture vocabulary PPT with 20~24 words with English Korean translations  at the beginning of every class. We drill pronunciation and then the students repeat English English Korean English. I find that it helps a lot when going through the textbook because many students can recall the vocabulary learnt. It takes about 4 minutes.

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 11:16:17 am »
My co-t does the vocab and even though we have A LOT of dictionaries in our classroom, I have yet to see a student use one. We give them the English words along with the Korean translation and then spend an entire lesson going over pronunciation and playing different types of matching games

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2020, 12:33:31 pm »
Remember this adage.

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand.

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2020, 12:49:20 pm »
how can i remember it if you've only just told me?edit: i agree with the idea, though i think showing is usually sufficient for teaching vocabulary

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 01:11:53 pm »
how can i remember it if you've only just told me?

That's why face to face teacher training is so important.  :smiley:

Obviously it depends on the vocab but showing it often only works until they try to use it themselves.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:14:24 pm by stoat »