Read 561 times

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
How do you teach vocabulary?
« on: July 30, 2019, 02:06:56 pm »
I was reading a few segments about Kor. students not using dictionaries in the rant thread when it occurred to me that this might be interesting to ask to you all to learn more about how I can improve my new classes next year:

Is it important to teach vocabulary and how do you do it in your classes?

What's our role?
Are the students not using dictionaries because of the assignment or because of the teacher?
What is the effect?
Are students better off with or without dictionaries?

I've not used any word lists nor vocab. exercises other than in-class conversation in which I would deliberately use advanced vocabulary. They have all passed their exams, but there's room for improvement.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:12:03 pm by HappyPlanetAbuser »
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

Re: How do you teach vocabulary?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 02:30:56 am »
Teaching vocabulary is a semester-long graduate level course in TESOL departments, so it's not an answerable question in this format.

The best thing to do is refer to Professor Paul Nation, who is one of the world's foremost experts on vocabulary learning and teaching. The book that speaks most directly to your question is How Vocabulary Is Learned, co-authored by Paul Nation and Stuart Webb. For a broader discussion of a curriculum that facilitates vocabulary retention and use as well as improving proficiency in a foreign language in general, a good start is Nation's incredibly detailed and comprehensive  What Should Every EFL Teacher Know?