Read 349 times

PT gig but no taxes withheld
« on: July 30, 2019, 08:53:00 am »
I signed a contract for a part-time gig that was hastily put together and did not include any mention of taxes (I realized afterwards) that would be deducted from my pay. I was also paid the full amount without any taxes withheld. Upon contacting my employer to request a new contract, they claim that the taxes were already withheld and the portion I was paid was the net pay, but obviously that would mean that my pay is higher than what was stated on the contract.

On top of that, this position pays weekly and they elected to pay for both the classes that I taught this week as well as the class I'll teach next week.

They operate very differently from other places I worked at for PT gigs, so I want to make sure I am clear of any run in with the law.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 02:03:13 pm by AngryTypingGuy »

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
Re: PT gig but no taxes withheld
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 02:23:38 pm »
Don't worry, any tax related fines are always levied on the employer not on you. You just have to make sure your visa is 100% in order.
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 06:01:07 pm »
Thanks for the reassurance.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 09:45:00 pm »
Don't worry, any tax related fines are always levied on the employer not on you. You just have to make sure your visa is 100% in order.
Fines are to the employer, but you are responsible for settlement at the end of the year. If you donít have a slip showing that they withheld taxes, and you are being paid the full contract amount, you might be on the hook at year ends.

Also ensure National Health and Pension are being paid!