Read 302 times

• cass0613
  • Newgookin

• July 19, 2019, 02:43:08 pm
    • australia
newbie alert contract review
« on: July 25, 2019, 04:45:40 pm »
I'm aware of some things I should look for in contracts but can someone find anything they think is a bit effy about this contract.

I actually kind of really like this school I'm just a bit cautious with signing contracts and also another thing this school is in sejong.

1. TREATMENT & TEACHING HOURS
The service of the employee is to undertake up to the agreed-upon maximum of 30 classes per week, teaching in an enthusiastic and educational manner. The employer will return the employee’s energy and efforts with material and service supports such as proper housing, salary and etc. as agreed upon here.

2. WORK LOAD, HOURS, DAYS
The maximum workload per week may be up to a maximum of 30 classes per week.

3. PERIOD OF EMPLOYMENT
The total agreement term is from ___ ____ ____
The total Agreement term is approximately 1 year and 1.5 month. (Finishing the semester if necessary)
In the condition that the teacher has a long period of absence, the contract period will extend as much as the period of absence. For example, if the teacher is absent for 1 month due to any circumstances, the contract will extend on additional one month.

4. SCOPE OF WORK
The teachers work is as follows:
(Cutting this part out because schools name is in it) It's basically the curricular.

5. HOUSING
The employer shall provide the teacher with a furnished(air conditioner, washing machine, bed without bedding, and a refrigerator) one bedroom single house studio in the location of ____

6. SALARY & OVERTIME PAYMENT
a) One calendar month is accounted for as one payment session.

b) Regardless of how few monthly work hours may be, the teacher’s minimum monthly pay is 2.1 million won on basis of maximum 30 classes per a week. Preparation time per day is not included in overtime. The preparation day for the next semester (The last Saturday of the current semester) is not included in overtime. The public meeting with the parents of the students is not included in overtime.

c) For the teacher who has no teaching experience at all, the teacher will have a training period with an assistant teacher. The training period is calculated and paid from the teacher’s first day of school until the day that the teacher conducts classes without an assistant teacher, and is compensated with the half payment of the full salary for this training period.

7. TAX & DEDUCTIBLES& INSURANCE (HEALTH, PENSION)
Income tax of 3.5%, residence tax. Half of the health insurance premium will be paid by the Employer and the other half by the teacher. Current compulsory pension contributions total approximately 9% of your salary are payable monthly. Half of this amount, about 4.5%, will be paid by each side, both by your employer and by the employee.

8. HOLIDAYS
When the school and the employee are in agreement about the date of the vacation, the employee will have 10 day holidays

9. DRESS CODE
The employee shall dress in a neat and professional manner. Items such as T-shirts, jeans, sandals and etc will not be worn during teaching hours.

10. ANNUAL BONUS (Retirement Pay)
In accordance to the Korean Labor Law, the annual bonus equivalent of one month’s pay, is paid to the teacher on the last day of this contract.
(The retirement pay is paid only if the contract is fulfilled and only if the employee has worked without a long period of absence.)

11. DISCIPLINING STUDENTS
Due to the employee’s lack of knowledge of the students’ language and culture, the school principals and the local teachers will eagerly assist the English teacher they should ask for help in disciplining the students. The school will fully support the teacher, if the teacher considers students’ rudeness or disruptiveness.

12. DISMISSAL OR VOLUNTARY RESIGNATION
1 The employer and the teacher reserve the right to end this contract, in any of the cases below.
2 Dismissal can take place if the teacher neglects correcting the following causes. 
(The teacher will have 20 days after each warning letter to correct the situation)
a) Neglect his/her duties stipulated in this agreement 
b) Frequent absence from work 
c) Frequent tardiness 
d) Engaging in sexual relationships with students 
e) An extended period of poor lessons 
f) In case that many students quit the school because of the teacher’ poor lesson and the lack of the class management.
3 Resignation can take place if the teacher perceives:
a) Continuous disrespect or negligence of his/her human rights 
b) Negligence of the point of this contract by the school 
c) Death of an immediate family member or serve illness of the teacher
4 In case of dismissal or resignation, teacher is paid up to his last day of work. All the accounts’ pays                                                                   
on either side must be settled by the last day of teacher’s work
5 If the teacher decides to resign before the contract end, he/she should notify the employer at least one month in advance.
6 Training
a) The employee will be given 30 days of testing period. Upon successful completion of training, the candidate is eligible to teach at the _______ for the programs in which the employee has received training in. However, if the candidate fails to meet the need, he/she will be given a notification.

13. GOVERNING LAW & JURISDICTION
a) This agreement is governed by the Law of the Republic of Korea
b) This agreement contract is the contract made on-line internet. The both sides of the school and the employee should sign one’s own autograph on the paper contract on the date when the teacher starts to work at the school.

14. AIR TICKET
The school will supply the teacher with the air ticket to the teacher's home country with completion of 1 year contract.

Re: newbie alert contract review
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 05:49:16 pm »
I found a few. First 2.1 is low for sejong. Thats a relatively expensive city to live in. How long is a teaching hour? It does not specify. Is it 50 minutes is it 1 hour....how long is it?
Mandatory Saturday every month.... for 2.1 in 2019.....hell no! The contract doesnt say what your working hours are even nor does it mention what your over time rate is. This job is super mediocre.

• cass0613
  • Newgookin

• July 19, 2019, 02:43:08 pm
    • australia
Re: newbie alert contract review
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 03:09:18 pm »
I found a few. First 2.1 is low for sejong. Thats a relatively expensive city to live in. How long is a teaching hour? It does not specify. Is it 50 minutes is it 1 hour....how long is it?
Mandatory Saturday every month.... for 2.1 in 2019.....hell no! The contract doesnt say what your working hours are even nor does it mention what your over time rate is. This job is super mediocre.

Yeah I also thought the salary was a bit low, I tried to negotiate but 2.1 was all they can give. So other than the working hours/OT/Saturday work issue I've just simply declined the school with the recruiter ignoring me afterwards.