Read 1028 times

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Adult class no shows
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2019, 06:24:19 pm »
Adults are unreliable.  Good to do for extra income but not your main source of income.  Revenue can go up and down.  Some will bitch and get picky about minor things.  Stick with kids.  At least if they like you, they'll want to come back and meet you again and again.  Especially young kids.  If you don't like kids, get out of esl and find a new profession.  I like kids most of the time, so it works for me. 
out of curiosity, what kind of things do your adult students complain about..?

I listed some of the complaints.  Talking too fast, too much, has a beard, doesn't smile enough, not exciting.  Those are a few things my friends have told me they've heard about from adult clients.  I had a friend who is an EXCELLENT TEACHER, KNEW ENGLISH GRAMMAR THOUGH AND THOUGH, the best in my opinion who taught a Korean actor at one time.  The Korean actor didn't like him and demanded the school never allow him to teach him anymore due to the fact that he didn't allow him to ramble in incoherent English for the entire class.  My friend wanted to actually teach a lesson to him and this fool wanted to talk about himself for the entire duration of class in choppy broken English.  He didn't want to use the text book or materials that my friend provided for him.  NOPE, he wanted to talk about himself, his good looks, and movies he had starred in all in broken sentences that made no sense.  So yeah sometimes you can get docked just for even not allowing the adult to run the class how they want.
well that's why you do a needs analysis so you know what they want to do. hey, if they want to pay you to babble nonsense, let em. their money

• stoat
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2019, 06:54:18 pm »
It's unlikely things like the above would arise from a needs analysis, which nearly always consists of generic stuff like 'I want more vocabulary or speaking practice.'

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2019, 10:20:09 pm »
It's unlikely things like the above would arise from a needs analysis, which nearly always consists of generic stuff like 'I want more vocabulary or speaking practice.'
You just assume what your students want to study without asking them? I dunno. Thing like talking too fast, not having exciting lessons or not smiling (well, maybe to a lesser extent that one) are legitimate complaints though. Although... having a beard? Lol

• stoat
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2019, 06:56:37 am »
You just assume what your students want to study without asking them?

No, I do ask them, that's why I mentioned getting generic responses like 'more vocabulary or speaking.' My point was, you're unlikely to get someone saying they want a teacher who smiles a lot, talks slowly, endlessly listens to incoherent babble without correcting etc.. in needs analysis.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2019, 07:46:31 am »
You just assume what your students want to study without asking them? I dunno. Thing like talking too fast, not having exciting lessons or not smiling (well, maybe to a lesser extent that one) are legitimate complaints though. Although... having a beard? Lol

Yep having a beard is an actual complaint here.  At the kiddy level, I've heard parents call in and say their son or daughter is scared of Seth Teacher (Seth Rogen looking dude so you do the visuals) because he has a beard.  At the adult level, I've heard some of the men and women find it dirty. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2019, 08:25:10 am »
You just assume what your students want to study without asking them?

No, I do ask them, that's why I mentioned getting generic responses like 'more vocabulary or speaking.' My point was, you're unlikely to get someone saying they want a teacher who smiles a lot, talks slowly, endlessly listens to incoherent babble without correcting etc.. in needs analysis.

Yeah true. The OP said that the teacher was amazing with grammar and made detailed, structured lessons, so I figured they were doing something like that, when all the student wanted to do was chat

Re: beards. I think attitudes are changing. I only shave once a week cos I'm lazy, but never get negative comments (adults or kids). Kindy mums are insane though. I don't know how people deal with working at jobs like that

• APH
  • Veteran

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2019, 12:57:04 am »

Yep that's how I felt when the grandma didn't want to take a class from me.  And the director kind of side eye'd me too.  Like as if she made a bad decision to hire me.  You're right to feel like that because honestly the Korean staff will be suspicious of you anyways.  Ugh, the joys of working at a hakwon.  But you said you don't work for a hakwon....or just an adult one?  Because why would a government run public school make you teach adults on the side?

Oh no I do work at a Hagwon, just not an adult one. The two adult classes I teach are the only adult students we have, they’re like classes for the parents.