Read 1029 times

• APH
  • Veteran

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
Adult class no shows
« on: July 24, 2019, 10:33:13 am »
So Iíve been teaching an adult class twice a week for the past few months, it initially started as one class but then they added another class maybe 1-1.5 months after I started teaching the first one.

Iíve been teaching the first class for almost 3 months now and last week only 3/5 students showed up and yesterday it was only 1/5. So now Iím worried that theyíre all going to drop out which obviously reflects badly on me as the teacher. I honestly donít think I was doing a bad job and I was trying my best to cater the class to what they wanted (as much speaking and pronunciation practise as possible) but they were never the most enthusiastic class. Compared to the second class who always ask questions and want to have conversations with me.

Also, itís not like any of them have complained about the class or mentioned anything to the manager or myself that they werenít satisfied, which kind of gives me hope in the sense that it maybe wasnít my fault and they just canít be bothered doing it anymore? Itís obviously a voluntary class and theyíre paying to go.

Anyone else whoís taught adult classes had a similar experience? Whatís the average life span of these kind of non-compulsory classes?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Adult class no shows
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 10:44:48 am »
yeah, it depends. some classes i'm doing now have been going for over a year. sometimes they get up to 10-12 students per semester, sometimes 2 or 3. one class i started recently only lasted a month as there wasn't enough students who signed up to continue the class.

it's possible that it's nothing you've done wrong at all. it's hard to tell because even if you ask them what they want to do, or if they don't like the class, they probably won't say, as they don't want to embarrass you.

you could ask your manager to give them an anonymous survey (and/or needs analysis, if you haven't already done one with all of them) to find out what kind of things they want to do/like

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 11:04:02 am »
Well make sure you dress nice and smell nice for one.  Other than that it's probably not you.  Right now is vacation time for a lot of areas.  For instance, I know a lot of my friends are going to leave the country next week.  So it could be that they are starting their vacation time now.  Especially if they are parents a lot of schools have their last day this Friday then it will be the start of summer camps till school starts back up again late August.  So you might have a bunch of no shows till then.  But yeah just make sure your are up beat, positive, and put your best clean self forward and I'm sure you will be fine. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 12:58:48 pm »
Adults are unreliable.  Good to do for extra income but not your main source of income.  Revenue can go up and down.  Some will bitch and get picky about minor things.  Stick with kids.  At least if they like you, they'll want to come back and meet you again and again.  Especially young kids.  If you don't like kids, get out of esl and find a new profession.  I like kids most of the time, so it works for me. 

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 01:57:44 pm »
Adults are unreliable.  Good to do for extra income but not your main source of income.  Revenue can go up and down.  Some will bitch and get picky about minor things.  Stick with kids.  At least if they like you, they'll want to come back and meet you again and again.  Especially young kids.  If you don't like kids, get out of esl and find a new profession.  I like kids most of the time, so it works for me. 

I have to agree.  It can be everything from you're not entertaining enough or have a bubbly personality, you don't smile enough, they don't like your appearance, the sound of your voice, perhaps you talk to fast, maybe you have an accent that they are not used to (American RP, British RP) maybe they are highly conservative and sense you aren't of their ilk.  Maybe you aren't the right skin color.  Seriously with adults they have to power to show up to class if they tolerate you.  If they don't find you acceptable even by first impression stance they quickly can drop a class and go to another academy that has more Benjamin Cumberbatch/ Emma Stone, Watson, Thompson looking teachers. 

At one hakwon I worked at they tried to start an adult class in the late afternoon they wanted to enroll a few potential clients.  I was at the time replacing a blond hair, blue eyed, athletic guy.  He told the halmonie that I was going to teach her and that she was in great hands with me. I gave her a big smile and introduced myself in Korean and bowed to her.  She smiled in kind and shook her head and told my director she will not be returning for any further lessons. 

Yeah it's one thing if kids eventually beg their parents to not go to a hakwon because of you, but adults have more power to take one look at you and say "no, thank you."  I knew of adult hakwons that had to let go of some older male teachers because no one sadly wanted to book with them because either they had a strong musky smell, had a beard, didn't like that they were over weight, etc......   

My suggestion is teach kids in PUBLIC SCHOOL.  At least there you won't lose your job if you are a boring teacher.  As long as your are a responsible one. 

P.S. plus the split shift schedules at some adult hakwons sound like absolute murder.  Report to work at 5am work till lunch, go back to the office at 2pm work till 9 or 10pm.  Waking up way early in the morning, napping in the afternoons, and working till late sound like absolute torture on the body's natural circadian rhythm of sleep
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 02:10:11 pm by Piggydee »

• stoat
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 02:01:55 pm »
Benjamin Cumberbatch?

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 02:08:13 pm »
Benjamin Cumberbatch?
Yeah, he's a British actor.  He's kind of a big deal here in Korea.

• stoat
  • Veteran

• seoul
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 02:19:49 pm »
Ah, kind of like Robot Downey Jr?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 02:27:58 pm »
out of curiosity, what kind of things do your adult students complain about..?

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 02:34:31 pm »
out of curiosity, what kind of things do your adult students complain about..?

I listed some of the complaints.  Talking too fast, too much, has a beard, doesn't smile enough, not exciting.  Those are a few things my friends have told me they've heard about from adult clients.  I had a friend who is an EXCELLENT TEACHER, KNEW ENGLISH GRAMMAR THOUGH AND THOUGH, the best in my opinion who taught a Korean actor at one time.  The Korean actor didn't like him and demanded the school never allow him to teach him anymore due to the fact that he didn't allow him to ramble in incoherent English for the entire class.  My friend wanted to actually teach a lesson to him and this fool wanted to talk about himself for the entire duration of class in choppy broken English.  He didn't want to use the text book or materials that my friend provided for him.  NOPE, he wanted to talk about himself, his good looks, and movies he had starred in all in broken sentences that made no sense.  So yeah sometimes you can get docked just for even not allowing the adult to run the class how they want.

• stoat
  • Veteran

• seoul
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 02:36:58 pm »
Yes I had a student like that, some big exec. His pronunication was appalling but he hated it every time i tried to correct it or get him to change. He just wanted to ramble on 

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 02:39:39 pm »
Yes I had a student like that, some big exec. His pronunication was appalling but he hated it every time i tried to correct it or get him to change. He just wanted to ramble on 

I would just look at the clock the whole time, smile and nod as I got paid to do nothing.  I mean I wouldn't mind if I listened to a broken intercom of noise for 40 mins. LOL
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 07:12:03 am by Piggydee »

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 02:49:20 pm »
Ah, kind of like Robot Downey Jr?

No I think Benjamin Cumberbatch is more like Eddard Nortan than Robot Downey Jr.

• stoat
  • Veteran

• seoul
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 03:08:24 pm »
yes, more of a Colin Pus.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 05:02:05 pm »
So Iíve been teaching an adult class twice a week for the past few months, it initially started as one class but then they added another class maybe 1-1.5 months after I started teaching the first one.

Iíve been teaching the first class for almost 3 months now and last week only 3/5 students showed up and yesterday it was only 1/5. So now Iím worried that theyíre all going to drop out which obviously reflects badly on me as the teacher. I honestly donít think I was doing a bad job and I was trying my best to cater the class to what they wanted (as much speaking and pronunciation practise as possible) but they were never the most enthusiastic class. Compared to the second class who always ask questions and want to have conversations with me.

Also, itís not like any of them have complained about the class or mentioned anything to the manager or myself that they werenít satisfied, which kind of gives me hope in the sense that it maybe wasnít my fault and they just canít be bothered doing it anymore? Itís obviously a voluntary class and theyíre paying to go.

Anyone else whoís taught adult classes had a similar experience? Whatís the average life span of these kind of non-compulsory classes?

I always ask adult students how much practice they put while at home....they don't seem to grasp that concept of self accountability, BEFORE they start initializing the blame game on the instructor. 

• APH
  • Veteran

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 11:01:22 pm »
I actually donít work at an adult Hagwon, my main job is teaching elementary-middle school. My boss just told me after I started working here that they were going to start some adult classes in the mornings twice a week and wanted me to teach them. Then they added a second one a month later.

So it doesnít affect my pay or anything if they do or donít show up, itís more just a case of it feels like if they do stop coming then everyoneís immediate reaction is going to be that I was doing something wrong. Which kind of dents my reputation with my manager. When I honestly think itís more a case of them just losing the motivation to keep coming into school twice a week, doing homework etc.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 07:15:58 am »
I actually donít work at an adult Hagwon, my main job is teaching elementary-middle school. My boss just told me after I started working here that they were going to start some adult classes in the mornings twice a week and wanted me to teach them. Then they added a second one a month later.

So it doesnít affect my pay or anything if they do or donít show up, itís more just a case of it feels like if they do stop coming then everyoneís immediate reaction is going to be that I was doing something wrong. Which kind of dents my reputation with my manager. When I honestly think itís more a case of them just losing the motivation to keep coming into school twice a week, doing homework etc.

Yep that's how I felt when the grandma didn't want to take a class from me.  And the director kind of side eye'd me too.  Like as if she made a bad decision to hire me.  You're right to feel like that because honestly the Korean staff will be suspicious of you anyways.  Ugh, the joys of working at a hakwon.  But you said you don't work for a hakwon....or just an adult one?  Because why would a government run public school make you teach adults on the side?

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 07:51:01 am »
Because why would a government run public school make you teach adults on the side?

My first public school (elementary) in Korea where I used to teach many years ago, had me teach adult classes -- although it was only during the winter vacation. In my experience, it was normal for the number of adult students who initially showed up to the first class, to dwindle down later on.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 07:57:31 am »
Benjamin Cumberbatch?
Yeah, he's a British actor.  He's kind of a big deal here in Korea.
I understand he's well-spoken.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2019, 11:19:59 am »
Because why would a government run public school make you teach adults on the side?

My first public school (elementary) in Korea where I used to teach many years ago, had me teach adult classes -- although it was only during the winter vacation. In my experience, it was normal for the number of adult students who initially showed up to the first class, to dwindle down later on.

I mean...I get it if it's doing a favor for the principal or a co-teacher.  I've heard of people teaching homeroom teachers on the side like during their desk warming periods or on the weekends.  But added as an extra class, this is first for me if that's the case o.O