Read 1058 times

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Be careful driving in the rain
« on: July 21, 2019, 06:06:39 pm »
Roads become more slippery as the temperature rises.

As revealed by this latest episode from the SBS Black box TV show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufiv_Z_oakU
Catch my drift?

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
Re: Be careful driving in the rain
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 06:21:41 pm »
Drove back from the East Coast today. So many f****** driving through torrential rain as if they were in dry conditions. Then, the other f****** who seek to tailgate me in very wet conditions.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2019, 07:24:05 pm »
According to martini, the only people who need to be concerned about the rain are farmers. 8)

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 05:04:25 pm »
According to martini, the only people who need to be concerned about the rain are farmers. 8)
Do you eat food? We ALL need to be concerned with adequate rainfall.

Food doesn't magically appear at the supermarket, genius. Only idiots treat the rain as simply a hazard and not as part of the cycle of growth.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 07:50:23 pm »

You are not even in Korea, are you, you tick dick...

At least the Doc is IN Korea, can actually write well with coherent organization., can back things up and while there are MANY times I don't agree with his subjective, apologist, opinions...you are just a little bitch. ...you...you are sub-snowflake. 

You are not even in Korea...trying to be all hard.

..you're funny.
Man oh man, I've really gotten under your shell, space thing. Or is it diaper rash that's bugging you?

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 07:51:37 pm »
Do you eat food? We ALL need to be concerned with adequate rainfall.

Food doesn't magically appear at the supermarket, genius. Only idiots treat the rain as simply a hazard and not as part of the cycle of growth.
The old either/or fallacy--time to learn some new tricks, chief.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 09:09:41 pm »
I've been driving my Korando jeep here for 10+ years, and cars back in Canada since 1987.

RULES I LIVE BY:

1. Avoid driving in the rain or snow. Taxi is NOT a good alternative; take the bus, walk in the rain or stay home.

2. NEVER drive in the rain/snow at night. In high school Prob. & Stats 12 class we studied accident rates under various conditions, and i vowed to be smart about this. I have been inconvenienced by my commitment to not drive in rain at night, but i've never regretted it.

• Adel
  • Expert Waygook

• January 30, 2015, 12:50:26 am
    • The Abyss
    more
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 10:03:02 pm »
Hadn't driven in Korea for 2 years before last weekend but drove for 3 hours from Haeundae to Sangju in heavy rain.   Haven't felt that alive since last time  I visited. 

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 09:10:46 am »
If you don't have good traction in summer rain, you have a car maintenance issue.

I'm using N Fera SU1 summer tires (550k / 4 fitted) and they have excellent grip in summer rain.

Summer = summer tires.
Winter = winter tires.

If you don't want to bother with running different tires in the summer and the winter, that's your choice, but don't act like there's nothing that can be done about poor traction.

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 09:45:54 am »
Bah. Just do like back home and drive with the cheapest 4 you can get on your hooptie on crappy roads and with crappy weather and rely on yo skillz to see you through and a single, flimsy seatbelt and no airbag if anything goes wrong.

Well, yo skillz and that No-Fault Insurance.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 08:46:13 pm »
I've been driving my Korando jeep here for 10+ years, and cars back in Canada since 1987.

RULES I LIVE BY:

1. Avoid driving in the rain or snow. Taxi is NOT a good alternative; take the bus, walk in the rain or stay home.

2. NEVER drive in the rain/snow at night. In high school Prob. & Stats 12 class we studied accident rates under various conditions, and i vowed to be smart about this. I have been inconvenienced by my commitment to not drive in rain at night, but i've never regretted it.

I’m pretty risk-adverse, but this is a little extreme.

As someone else said, tires are key.

Reducing speed is also important.

I took a “Skid Skool” course in Ontario a few years ago. Learning how to respond to an unexpected loss of traction is a good thing... but learning to avoid it is better.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 09:07:10 pm »
I've had no problems driving in any weather conditions. I don't use any special tyres either.

- Keep a safe following distance and anticipate an emergency.
- Drive at a speed at which you know you can react to an emergency.
- I don't trust anyone enough to drive in their blind spot.
- anticipate an emergency
- Be aware of your state of mind and level of alertness and... anticipate an emergency.

Other than that, the fact that I drive a MT and always have driven a MT means that I probably developed a better feel for a car and the road surface.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 09:23:56 pm »
... and realize that in Korea, “blind spot” assumes the other driver does not turn their head at all.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 10:18:24 pm »
... and realize that in Korea, “blind spot” assumes the other driver does not turn their head at all.

Turning their heads? Should start with checking their mirrors first.

"Mirror Signal Manoeuvre?" F*** that, I'll do all three at the same time to save time.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 10:31:36 pm »
I've had no problems driving in any weather conditions. I don't use any special tyres either.
My best friend in high school bragged about his father never having an accident in 31 years as a truck driver. The next year he died in a crash.

Two friends of mine wanted to go on a ski trip in snowy conditions, a day after a blizzard no less, and I said no thanks, it's too dangerous and they died in a 5-person car slide off of the side of the mountain road to the resort.

Is there any place on earth with more risky driving conditions due to rain, sleet, hail, black ice, snow and avalanches than my home province of B.C. Canada, with several mountain ranges and extreme weather conditions.

There is NOTHING you can do, shy of abandoning your car on the shoulder of the road, to avoid the significant risk of death by driving in bad weather at night.

When i first came to Korea, over 2 people on average died every day in car accidents in the city of Seoul alone. The number is now "down" to about one person every day dying in car crashes in Seoul.

So many drivers think they have the power to survive dangerous conditions. And they do, until they don't.

Play safe out there. Consider your alternatives. Be prepared, as us boy scouts used to say.

As the Christian once said to the believer in reincarnation: you only live twice.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 08:08:45 am »
Certainly, it's a good idea to avoid the other car's "blind spot", but actually, with your mirrors aligned correctly, there is no blind spot.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15131074/how-to-adjust-your-mirrors-to-avoid-blind-spots/

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 09:06:31 am »
My best friend in high school bragged about his father never having an accident in 31 years as a truck driver. The next year he died in a crash.

Two friends of mine wanted to go on a ski trip in snowy conditions, a day after a blizzard no less, and I said no thanks, it's too dangerous and they died in a 5-person car slide off of the side of the mountain road to the resort.

Is there any place on earth with more risky driving conditions due to rain, sleet, hail, black ice, snow and avalanches than my home province of B.C. Canada, with several mountain ranges and extreme weather conditions.

There is NOTHING you can do, shy of abandoning your car on the shoulder of the road, to avoid the significant risk of death by driving in bad weather at night.

When i first came to Korea, over 2 people on average died every day in car accidents in the city of Seoul alone. The number is now "down" to about one person every day dying in car crashes in Seoul.

So many drivers think they have the power to survive dangerous conditions. And they do, until they don't.

Play safe out there. Consider your alternatives. Be prepared, as us boy scouts used to say.

As the Christian once said to the believer in reincarnation: you only live twice.

As I said above, it's not just about the driver. Car maintenance makes a big difference in emergency situations. If you live in a country with well-defined seasons, you should use tires appropriate for the season. In Korea, all-season tires are for the lazy only.

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 10:58:10 am »
Indeed, the music teacher at my school died a couple weeks ago while driving in the rain.

We always used to greet each other around the lunch table, and his now conspicuous absence feels rather surreal.

I'll be driving from the southern tip of Korea to Incheon on Monday, to pick up family. Wish me luck.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2019, 12:39:04 pm »
Seriously, people need to be told that driving in inclement weather requires closer attention? I, too, learned to drive in Canada and have driven the breadth of the country twice in every weather type Canada can throw at you from sunny and dry to freezing rain at night to fog so thick visibility is measured feet to snowstorms where you are making the first tracks in a foot of snow...it is not difficult if you know what to do and how to react and have the proper tires on your car.

Black ice......that's the danger zone. Snow...rain...meh. It once took me 12 hours to get from Montreal to Toronto. Over four decades of driving, never been in an accident that was my fault.

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2019, 12:52:02 pm »
I'm considering pulling a Kim Du Ham and calling the feds up about this car that I see driving and parking everyday. This thing is a rust bucket with sellotape over the back windows. If it runs and passes the car tests no problem, but man the tires on this car. It's like the guy took it in for a bikini wax. They are so bald. How this guy goes round a corner faster than a snail's pace in the rain is beyond me. This car needs turning into my next coke can. It actually worries me how this guy think it's road worthy or his lack of care for anyone else but himself.
Who is here in 2019?