Read 614 times

Free time ideas for a food-themed summer camp?
« on: July 19, 2019, 12:00:19 pm »
Hi everyone.  I'm doing a cooking/food-themed camp for the first time and not knowing how it will go, I expect that I'll have some students who finish early.  I want to make a dedicated "free time activity" space in the class that they can go to if need be.

What are some ideas of some food-themed activities that I can have them do?  Preferably activities that need little to no teacher help, as I'll most likely be dealing with the other students who are still cooking. 

EDIT:  It will be for elementary 3rd and 4th graders.  I guess it doesn't have to be food activities...it could just be regular English activities as well.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 12:02:20 pm by purpleparrot »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Free time ideas for a food-themed summer camp?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 12:16:24 pm »
building the tallest tower using only spaghetti and marshmallows?

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 12:26:54 pm »
I did that activity a few summers ago and the humidity turned the marshmallows into a sticky mess.  Should I refrigerate them so they don't melt?  Or is there another material I could use instead of marshmallows?

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 12:49:46 pm »
I did that activity a few summers ago and the humidity turned the marshmallows into a sticky mess.  Should I refrigerate them so they don't melt?  Or is there another material I could use instead of marshmallows?

Playdough/clay/plasticene would probably work just as well, and most stationary stores stock 'em.

Hunks of squished bread might make the process more amusingly difficult.

Tape, if you're a cruel *&%^%.

:smiley:

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 01:40:38 pm »
Ooh Playdough...I have some of that that I wondered what I would do with.  Never would have thought of that.  Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 02:11:43 pm »
You can also have them do like a “food review” worksheet where they draw the food that they just ate/made (make them color it too lol), give it a 1 to 5 star rating, and if they can, they can write about it as much as 3rd/4th graders can :)

Or, if you didn’t already make them do this, they can write on a smaller “recipe” card that they can take home at the end of the day. I also laminate them so students have something to take home and potentially use in the future ;)

Ok this is still the same idea but for a group project, they can make a poster of the recipe but have them draw like a “comic” recipe so each direction has an related picture to what the direction is :P

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 10:13:29 am »

i have no idea. i've never done it myself. i like the idea of using play dough instead of marshmallows