Read 2000 times

• CaitV
  • Adventurer

• July 02, 2014, 02:58:38 pm
    • Gyeonngi-do
Re: Why is it so hard for a guy to get a decent haircut in Korea?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 08:27:15 am »
Most of my experiences of getting my haircut in Korea have been downright ridiculous. I've tried places in Seoul, Cheonan and Pyeongtaek that other foreigners recommended and still came away with haircuts I didn't like.
One lady refused to shave up the back of my neck because I have "ugly neck bones." So she left it scraggly and uneven because that's obviously better.
Another lady told me my natural highlights were ugly, maybe in an effort to convince me to colour it? I didn't go back. 
The last hairdresser I went to did pretty much the opposite of what I asked for, charged me more than what was listed on the website, and then kept texting me every month or two  to tell me I had an appointment that I didn't book. It went on for months. I asked her to stop texting me and had to block her on kakao.
These days I never walk out of a haircut expecting to love it. My new standard is "it could be worse."

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 09:05:11 am »
Well...I honestly know your deepest sincere pain...

are you looking for a combover taper? combover fade? bald taper? bald fade?

Anyhow, I could keep on going and going, and I actually found someone nearly decent but that person ended up quitting...barbershops are somewhat better, but expect to pay a minimum of 30,000Won...up to 60,000Won but not get the meticulous balding that you would expect to get from a Hispanic/Latino stylist.

I honestly used myself as a human guinea pig in every aspect, and I have come to my personal conclusion that Hispanic/Latin men tend to do what I am looking for.

I can say one thing, Koreans have a long way to go with the balding cutZ and would say the styles for a picky meticulous hairstyle is "predominately" centered around Asians(obviously). OR in a sugar coated way, cannot customize per customer/clients request.

If you are willing to fly to Jeju, there is this only guy that can shave up the back of your neck pretty, probably called a slight bald tapering...he is about 21,000Won but I did not get 30 percent of my modified fade/taper so I endorse the other barber that charges about 10,000 Won more that has a better view of  what is requested.

You can get my Kakao ID if needed...

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 11:14:31 am »
I found a good guy in the Anyang area - Sanbon to be exact. Speaks english and worked in Australia for a while. He understands western style haircuts. I went to him a few times. He is good.

Some people have been interested where this salon is and who the guy is.

His name is 동협 and he works in 미쁜 salon in Sanbon. Itís near exit 3 of Sanbon station in Anyang. I havenít been to this salon yet. He just moved there and he sent me the details. Itís about 15000 won for a menís cut. He does female customers too. His day off is Tuesday. If you message me I can send you his Kakao ID. He is a humble guy and keen for more customers.

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2019, 01:59:19 pm »

When I first went to my hairdresser it cost 25 000 and we're talking over ten years ago,

The plot thickens... my haircuts used to be only 5000...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:17:33 pm by HappyPlanetAbuser »
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 04:45:23 pm »
whenever i get a haircut, they always give me a weird scalp massage. anyone else get one of these? it's more painful than pleasant, but i feel bad telling them it hurts

one time, while one woman was shampooing my hair, she gave me an "eye massage" - literally rubbing her fingers on my eyeballs. it was really weird. is that....normal?

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 05:31:31 pm »
one time, while one woman was shampooing my hair, she gave me an "eye massage" - literally rubbing her fingers on my eyeballs. it was really weird. is that....normal?

Did she wa nk you off as well?  If so, you got disorientated by doing the 'Fireman's Test' and ended up in the brothel next to the hairdresser's.  Now, I fear for you after you removed the fire exit bulb in your apartment.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 05:45:26 pm »

Did she wa nk you off as well?  If so, you got disorientated by doing the 'Fireman's Test' and ended up in the brothel next to the hairdresser's.  Now, I fear for you after you removed the fire exit bulb in your apartment.

Well done!

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2019, 08:45:28 pm »
whenever i get a haircut, they always give me a weird scalp massage. anyone else get one of these? it's more painful than pleasant, but i feel bad telling them it hurts

Scalp massage sounds great.  Usually the more you pay the better the service i guess. I usually pay about 10 bucks.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2019, 10:38:05 pm »

well, she did ask if i had a girlfriend, but i wasn't sure if she was just making small talk. that's why i asked if it was normal, or i was getting the special treatment :/

edit: i pay around 15k-17k. it's just in one of those "xeo" branches

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2019, 06:52:59 am »

Yeah they usually give me a scalp massage which usually feels really good to me.  Although once I had to ask her to stop rubbing so hard (oo err).  I thought she was going to pull my hair out it was so rough haha.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2019, 09:54:08 am »
I had the same barber in Korea the entire time I was there and he gave me a haircut that I both wanted and liked.

My only complaint is, why does it take so darn long? Seriously, an hour or so for a haircut. I hated that.

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2019, 10:11:08 am »

Yeah they usually give me a scalp massage which usually feels really good to me.  Although once I had to ask her to stop rubbing so hard (oo err).  I thought she was going to pull my hair out it was so rough haha.

yeah i get the scalp massage too. i think its great. a friend from the US visited me last year and i had told him about it, so he wanted to see for himself. he was a big fan