Read 422 times

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Do you resent paying taxes for any reason?
« on: July 08, 2019, 11:22:50 pm »

I'm not sure that it benefits me that my taxes prop up the Korean police force.

I don't think they would help me if i needed it., they'd simply take the side of the Korean in any and all altercations.

Also, i don't like the idea that my taxes pay for all those tacky loudspeakers in the countryside that play awful music nonstop. That is a waste of taxpayers money.
Catch my drift?

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Do you resent paying taxes for any reason?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 11:34:28 pm »
Iíve had great service from the police. Korean highways are excellent.
Tax collection is efficient and clear.
Subsidized transit is awesome.

Nope. No issues with payment of taxes in the ROC!

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 11:44:52 pm »
Taxes in Korea are VERY low compared to back in my home Canada. ESPECIALLY income tax.

In addition, back in Vancouver we have a VAT (value-added tax) of a PST (provincial sales tax) and federal GST (goods & services tax) that amounts to a combined 12%.

The federal sales tax portion is 5%. It was 7% when introduced and many people i knew had been pissed by it. I found it annoying.

Try to buy a drink in the bar: provincial tax, federal tax and expected tip. A $6.50 drink costs ya ten bucks!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 12:24:25 am »
Taxes in Korea are VERY low compared to back in my home Canada. ESPECIALLY income tax.

In addition, back in Vancouver we have a VAT (value-added tax) of a PST (provincial sales tax) and federal GST (goods & services tax) that amounts to a combined 12%.

The federal sales tax portion is 5%. It was 7% when introduced and many people i knew had been pissed by it. I found it annoying.

Try to buy a drink in the bar: provincial tax, federal tax and expected tip. A $6.50 drink costs ya ten bucks!

And in Korea, VAT is included in shelf and menu pricing, unlike Canada where it is added at the till.

Rates are also different in different provinces of Canada.

One day, about a week ago, I was in 4 different provinces (Manitoba through New Brunswick) and had no idea what things were going to cost me!

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 07:33:37 am »
i resent paying pension, knowing i can't cash it out

• Colburnnn
  • Adventurer

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 08:12:00 am »
No, and I would happily pay more if it went towards trash management, collection and the streets not smelling like ****.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 08:31:09 am »

That one is a little harsh.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 08:41:37 am »

Yeah, I'd like to know what went on behind the negotiating door for the countries involved to agree to this (assuming there's an equivalent surrendering of money paid into whatever pension programs by S. Korean citizens working in those countries, too). Would love to know the reasoning behind it.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 08:54:35 am »
I know for New Zealand the reason we don't get our Korean pension is because the NZ system is intergrated into the general tax you pay. It's not a seperate category on your paycheck. As you receive the pension regardless if you worked everyday for 45 years or if you never had a job in your life. So if a Korean was to go to NZ and work for a few years, the tax they pay goes into the general pool. When they leave they can't go be like "hey can i get a chunk of that tax back? As I'm not retiring here..."

In the last 15 years there is an auxiliary retirement saving scheme called Kiwi saver which is tied directly to a percentage of your earnings. I believe foreigners can claim that, or don't have to sign up to it in the first place.

So i guess the korean government sees Korean citizens arent getting any pension contributions back in NZ, so they will do the same for NZers here. And i can't see NZ changing the tax system anytime soon. I understand it. But it farking sucks seeing almost 20 million I earned, sitting there, never to be claimed.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 09:01:06 am »
I know for New Zealand the reason we don't get our Korean pension is because the NZ system is intergrated into the general tax you pay. It's not a seperate category on your paycheck. As you receive the pension regardless if you worked everyday for 45 years or if you never had a job in your life. So if a Korean was to go to NZ and work for a few years, the tax they pay goes into the general pool. When they leave they can't go be like "hey can i get a chunk of that tax back? As I'm not retiring here..."

In the last 15 years there is an auxiliary retirement saving scheme called Kiwi saver which is tied directly to a percentage of your earnings. I believe foreigners can claim that, or don't have to sign up to it in the first place.

So i guess the korean government sees Korean citizens arent getting any pension contributions back in NZ, so they will do the same for NZers here. And i can't see NZ changing the tax system anytime soon. I understand it. But it farking sucks seeing almost 20 million I earned, sitting there, never to be claimed.

Thanks for providing insight on this.

I figured there had to be some kind of logic behind it as the treaty negotiations for this sort of thing is based on some kind of equivalent exchange for the citizens of the involved countries.

Now wondering if the UK in general has a similar setup that would explain why they can't request a pension refund, either, or if it's a bit more convoluted than that.

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 09:56:18 am »

Huh. Interesting. That's good to have kind of an explanation for that. I always wondered about that.

As for the original question, taxes here are crazy low and a lot of that gets spent on infrastructure. Also, you don't even have to file your own taxes (in many cases). So, no. No complaints about taxes here. If you think taxes are bad here, you probably haven't had too many experiences paying taxes anywhere else.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 11:24:13 am »

I don't think they would help me if i needed it., they'd simply take the side of the Korean in any and all altercations.

Also, i don't like the idea that my taxes pay for all those tacky loudspeakers in the countryside that play awful music nonstop. That is a waste of taxpayers money.

Your taxes are paying my salary.  :D

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 01:30:59 pm »

Demands equality, refuses to contribute.

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 05:29:11 pm »

Yeah, I'd like to know what went on behind the negotiating door for the countries involved to agree to this (assuming there's an equivalent surrendering of money paid into whatever pension programs by S. Korean citizens working in those countries, too). Would love to know the reasoning behind it.

A Korean could move to New Zealand at the age of 55, work for 10 years (or something like that), and get the same full pension at 65 that a native New Zealander would get after working their entire lives. And a New Zealander moving back to NZ from Korea would get the same deal.

A Korean could move to the US and put in those 10 years and their social security (pension) at 65 would only be based on what they put in for those 10 years. And an American would move back home and have their social security reduced from the years they were living in Korea not paying into SS.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit