Read 2962 times

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
Re: Apartment invasions of privacy
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2019, 08:23:21 am »

I like how the implication of Dmart's flattery of a select group is supposed to lead to the inclusion of himself in this so-called select group of select debaters.  With the hope of ingratiating himself into the group of other high volume posters he expects to receive the support of these peers.  I don't think, considering his methods of "argument" anyone would be flattered to be included on your exclusive list.

woahhh buddy. for one, that shit is going on my resume (i'm shooting for harvard when i return home). and for two, we all know i am a master debater

Then you should be shooting for getting on DMart's sh*t list.  That is the ultimate form of flattery.  An endorsement from Martino isn't exactly complimentary. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2019, 08:59:13 am »
i don't live in a mansion. i know where the door is
If your house is pitch black, it will probably take a significant amount of time stumbling and bumping before you find it. If your apartment is full of smoke and of decent size, it will be darned hard. Smoke is incredibly disorienting.

If you want to test how good you'll be, do the fireman's test. Blindfold yourself and have someone spin you back and forth for something like a minute. Even after you get your balance back you will be incredibly disoriented. This is what they do to simulate the effects of smoke disorientation. You're effectively blind. And if you think you'll be fine, you'll be wrong. It can be in your own house and you'll be crashing into stuff. Unless you have a straight shot from some fixed point of reference to your door, your in deep doodoo. I'd recommend putting in a lower wattage light or putting some other kind of light there, unless you live in a shoebox or whatever, in which case you'll be fine regardless. Or maybe get another smoke detector or something near the door to act as a beacon.
i don't live in a mansion. i know where the door is
If your house is pitch black, it will probably take a significant amount of time stumbling and bumping before you find it. If your apartment is full of smoke and of decent size, it will be darned hard. Smoke is incredibly disorienting.

If you want to test how good you'll be, do the fireman's test. Blindfold yourself and have someone spin you back and forth for something like a minute. Even after you get your balance back you will be incredibly disoriented. This is what they do to simulate the effects of smoke disorientation. You're effectively blind. And if you think you'll be fine, you'll be wrong. It can be in your own house and you'll be crashing into stuff. Unless you have a straight shot from some fixed point of reference to your door, your in deep doodoo. I'd recommend putting in a lower wattage light or putting some other kind of light there, unless you live in a shoebox or whatever, in which case you'll be fine regardless. Or maybe get another smoke detector or something near the door to act as a beacon.
it's difficult to get lost in a 3-room apartment (especially one in which i live)

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2019, 09:23:51 am »
Does anyone else ever compare the beginning of a thread or discussion to the end (where DM always needs the last word)?  It's ridiculous haha.
You can't make this stuff up  :laugh:
Actually, it went from my first reply wondering about him taking out the light because it could be a hazard during a fire to me...talking about the effects of disorientation during a fire. I think that's pretty on topic and consistent throughout.

As has already been ridiculed, instead of just letting go the point, you actually suggested the guy do something called the fireman's test in his home to see whether he could find the door.  Awesome.  DeMartino is the gift that keeps on giving.  He's become a parody of the keyboard warrior at this point, although I suspect the satire is largely unintentional.
Just trying to point out why some kind of exit light is useful AND that contrary to everyone's assumption, it is NOT easy to find your way out.

it's difficult to get lost in a 3-room apartment (especially one in which i live)
Depending on how big, you'd be surprised (obviously a small 3 bedroom might not be much of a problem). Anyone who has ever done the test is stunned how disoriented they get (almost all think they won't have a problem). Depending on the nature of the smoke and fire, you might not have much time. If you have a family, I'd really consider having some kind of light by the door. I agree that you are fine with removing the stagelight they put in your house, but you might want something else.

« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2019, 09:28:43 am »
Then you should be shooting for getting on DMart's sh*t list.  That is the ultimate form of flattery.  An endorsement from Martino isn't exactly complimentary. 
Sorry, I don't have a list of enemies. I take everyone's post on it's merit, not who wrote it (though obviously for example, someone like Aristocrat's writing style tends to identify them).

Anyways, I don't give a shit about any of you the way some of you seem to be obsessed with me. 

« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2019, 10:06:29 am »
Depending on how big, you'd be surprised (obviously a small 3 bedroom might not be much of a problem). Anyone who has ever done the test is stunned how disoriented they get (almost all think they won't have a problem). Depending on the nature of the smoke and fire, you might not have much time. If you have a family, I'd really consider having some kind of light by the door. I agree that you are fine with removing the stagelight they put in your house, but you might want something else.

Insufferable nonsense.  It's Friday.  Let it go.  The ship sailed.  You lost this one.  Give it up.  You invented a problem/solution to something no one was asking and have continued on it for pages in your usual obsessive compulsive way .  And then you want to try and claim some kind of pointless victory for a problem no one was asking about  You will continue this until we all just a: give up or b: die, or c: give up and die.    :rolleyes:

the light is insanely bright, and it's the only entry/exit in the apartment, obviously. i ended up taking the bulb out. what's even the point? i KNOW where the door is ffs

In the apartment I just moved out of they had the illuminated touch-pads for the lights in some rooms.  You could control all the lights/some strips of lights/control the plugs/gas etc.  But the one that really got me was the one in the main bedroom, that they saw it fit to put it right next to where the bed should be, so basically you have an illuminated switch, that couldn't be switched off shining on you all night.  I'm a fairly light sleeper, so to have a light like that was a massive pain in the bum, add in that I never turn on the ceiling lights ever anyway so just covered it with those chair leg stickers that protect the floor.  Why would you design a bedroom that couldn't be completely pitch black?

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2019, 10:06:45 am »
DMart: Anyways, I don't give a shit about any of you the way some of you seem to be obsessed with me. 

Cool, That's the first time I've ever heard a website collectively laugh. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2019, 11:04:56 am »

"oh bloody hell, i've walked into the bathroom AGAIN. how do i get out of my own apartment?!"

anyway, if i lived in a huge place, the brightness of the light wouldn't even be a problem

« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2019, 11:17:52 am »
The apartment's not big...everything's en suite  ;D

« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2019, 11:27:52 am »
DMart: Anyways, I don't give a shit about any of you the way some of you seem to be obsessed with me. 

Cool, That's the first time I've ever heard a website collectively laugh. 
You don't see me stalking individual posters to flip out just because it's them that posted. I'm not the one who puts other poster's quotes in my signature.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2019, 11:30:05 am »
at least i don't have a mirrored wall

"when the place is a mess, it's a mess twice"

« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2019, 11:41:40 am »

:laugh: :laugh:

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2019, 11:43:18 am »

Pilkington?
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2019, 11:44:02 am »
"oh bloody hell, i've walked into the bathroom AGAIN. how do i get out of my own apartment?!"

You need Karl Pilkington to lead you from behind. 

*Oglop ends up in a hole escaping from his mansion*

Oglop:  'Ah, I've just walked into a big hole.
Karl:  'Should have been looking where you're going.  I haven't led Oglop in that hole.  But he's learnt a lesson.  He won't go in a  hole again'

« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2019, 06:56:14 am »

Pilkington?

Haha yep.  If only we could replace the hundreds of Pilkington quotes in our brains with useful Korean vocab we'd all get on a lot better haha.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
The joys of fauxtherhood